• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Naka reveals that 6 months before Balan Wonderworld came out he was removed as director and therefore filed a lawsuit against Square Enix

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Why is dicksucking corporations such a big deal on this forum?

anyway
he have an history of lies and subpar games
dumbest post In a while.

das supertalent award GIF by The Human Tackboard

A few points to make here:
1) For those of you saying "6 months couldn't have done all that much", it might be a good reminder that most projects Naka was involved literally only start fully coming together in the last three months. Just take a look at any Sonic Team game prototype that's up on HiddenPalace.org to get a gist what I mean here. I'm not saying for certain that 6 months could have saved it, but it'd either be that, or Naka leaving the project anyway (IE Sonic 06)
2) Considering that Naka is discussing the lawsuit and whatnot as though it was past tense, it seems he's allowed to speak on the case as though he won it in court, so it's presumably best to accept his word here, especially as there's no apparent challenge to it yet.
3) Regardless of what you think about whether Naka was any good or not, it was rather scummy for Square-Enix to use Naka as a marketing tool for the game, putting his reputation on the line, with the knowledge that his removal from the project was either imminent or already happened behind the scenes.

I seriously hope this post is an elaborate troll. Nobody ever promised you a Dreamcast 2 except for the imaginary friends in your head.
Yes he says that and you can look it yourself, But i guess for People like you, its easier claiming others are crazy to hide their own ignorance

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
Tell me a single game in the Last 15 years Who is at least 8.5 from him? You cant, because he Just deliver subpar games, But its OK if you are dumb and cant tell a difference between a good and a bad game
John Candy Reaction GIF

I am so sure you thoroughly played each and every Naka game of the last 15 years to make a fair and thoughtful assessment.
But its OK if you are dumb and cant tell a difference between a good and a bad game
Said the guy who writes "posibilitys"

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
So you cant mention a single game? 🤣😂🤣😂
The thing is if I mention a game you would do this:

1) Open up Metacritic, look up the average critic score, and post it.
2) Act incredibly self entitled because you know how to use a review approximation site.
3) Think posting an approximate is a good argument, even though it isn't.
4) Get a boner because a game you never played has an average score you deem unworthy.
5) Make sarcastic comments because of your alleged superior taste.

I can do without that. But please download Grammarly. I hope that's a "posibility".

The thing is if I mention a game you would do this:

1) Open up Metacritic, look up the average critic score, and post it.
2) Act incredibly self entitled because you know how to use a review approximation site.
3) Think posting an approximate is a good argument, even though it isn't.
4) Get a boner because a game you never played has an average score you deem unworthy.
5) Make sarcastic comments because of your alleged superior taste.

I can do without that. But please download Grammarly. I hope that's a "posibility".
I cant provide the metacritic score from users and the press, because the score is not good for my claim, so instead im going to claim they are useless

Here, i fix it for you 😃

Yes he says that and you can look it yourself, But i guess for People like you, its easier claiming others are crazy to hide their own ignorance
So you want me to go on a wild goose chase for an imaginary quote? Put up or shut up.

The Dreamcast 2 never, EVER existed. Sega never, EVER talked about it. Yuji Naka left Sega during the development of Sonic 06, at which point Sega was firmly a third-party studio, had been for several years, and had no intent of ever making a console again. And somehow you expect me to believe that Yuji Naka made any sort of claim about the alleged system?

You got bamboozled by a bunch of nutjob Sega fanboys with NeoGAF accounts and are barking at the wrong tree over it.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I cant provide the metacritic score from users and the press, because the score is not good for my claim, so instead im going to claim they are useless

Here, i fix it for you 😃
Okay, whatever helps you sleep at night. I know what I like. If a meta score of less than 85 equals an unplayable and unremarkable catastrophe to you, then that's your problem.

So you want me to go on a wild goose chase for an imaginary quote? Put up or shut up.

The Dreamcast 2 never, EVER existed. Sega never, EVER talked about it. Yuji Naka left Sega during the development of Sonic 06, at which point Sega was firmly a third-party studio, had been for several years, and had no intent of ever making a console again. And somehow you expect me to believe that Yuji Naka made any sort of claim about the alleged system?

You got bamboozled by a bunch of nutjob Sega fanboys with NeoGAF accounts and are barking at the wrong tree over it.
Did i claim i waited for the dreamcast 2 in any of my post or something like that? NO, did i claim the dreamcast 2 was ever on development? NO, you Just put those claim on me

I say he make those claims when he make ivy the kiwi, a game when he was Long gone from sega

And my intention was never make you to believe he says that, i say you can look that info yourself.

So for you a wild goose chase is going to Google and search yuji naka ivy the kiwi dreamcast 2 and thats hard for you?

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
So for you a wild goose chase is going to Google and search yuji naka ivy the kiwi dreamcast 2 and thats hard for you?
That was obviously a joke. Do you honestly think that was serious in any shape or form?
Hell, the first article I got when searching for "yuji naka dreamcast 2 ivy the kiwi" said, "Naka wants to make Dreamcast 2, says Ivy the Kiwi? success can lead to it (jokingly)".
Even if we take him literally as in word for word, he also clearly says "maybe".
"If Ivy the Kiwi? does well in Europe then maybe I can make Dreamcast 2 (laughs)"
This was never a promise. This was never a serious statement. Stop taking everything a face value.

Did i claim i waited for the dreamcast 2 in any of my post or something like that? NO, did i claim the dreamcast 2 was ever on development? NO, you Just put those claim on me

I say he make those claims when he make ivy the kiwi, a game when he was Long gone from sega

You''re trying WAY too hard to pretend you weren't fooled by a bunch of crazed Sega fanboys. Otherwise, why would you even bring it up in this thread?

For the last time: POST. SOURCE. OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN.

Impotaku

One of the few times a game demo did it’s job perfectly. It was so shit that they ended up pulling the demo off of all the online stores as it did huge damage lol. More like Yuji Baka.

This thread has been delightful so far, watching people Stan for their precious fave developers.

Last edited:

Scotty W

Gold Member
I was just searching Square Enix on the Switch store earlier, and the amount of useless junk they put out is just astonishing. They are a rudderless ship, living on past glories. There is just so much ballast they could throw overboard. There is simply no focus in this company. I wonder how much longer this is sustainable.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I was just searching Square Enix on the Switch store earlier, and the amount of useless junk they put out is just astonishing. They are a rudderless ship, living on past glories. There is just so much ballast they could throw overboard. There is simply no focus in this company. I wonder how much longer this is sustainable.
Seriously?

I mean sure, a lot of remasters, remakes and games that intentionally go for retro aesthetics and gameplay... but junk? Come on.

S

SpongebobSquaredance

Unconfirmed Member
I mean, aside from Dragon Quest and Bravely Default there's nothing much else...
I think Neo: The World Ends With You, Triangle Strategy and Octopath Traveler are definitely worth a mention. I guess if you aren't interested in remasters and remakes there isn't a lot to spark interest.

Robb

Gold Member
That sucks, although 6 months doesn’t sound like that much time.. I’d assume the majority of the game was pretty much finalized at that point.

Strange moves by Square though. Kinda feels like this game would have been pretty ‘meh’ either way, but it sounds like it could at least have been a lot better than it is today if he hadn’t been removed from the project.

Last edited:

SF Kosmo

Al Jazeera Special Reporter
He posted a longer version in English on his Facebook. He goes on to rationalize that he was making important design changes to Sonic right up until launch but honestly if he expected to do this to save Balan Wonderworld it shows how out of touch he is with modern game production. You can't just keep introducing new machanics and gameplay changes when the game should be just bug testing, you need to mail this stuff down and test it and work out the kinks way earlier in the cycle.

Balan Wonderworld is unfinished. But so was Sonic Adventure. The problem is that Sonic Adventure was fun and Balan Wonderworld wasn't.

daffyduck

Partly fired due to the original score being played by a Youtuber? Something must have been lost in translation.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
He posted a longer version in English on his Facebook. He goes on to rationalize that he was making important design changes to Sonic right up until launch but honestly if he expected to do this to save Balan Wonderworld it shows how out of touch he is with modern game production. You can't just keep introducing new machanics and gameplay changes when the game should be just bug testing, you need to mail this stuff down and test it and work out the kinks way earlier in the cycle.

Balan Wonderworld is unfinished. But so was Sonic Adventure. The problem is that Sonic Adventure was fun and Balan Wonderworld wasn't.
So he's claiming with 6 months left, he would had worked magic that would had turned this game that got 3/10 on MC into a top notch game.

I'm no developer, but who knew games turn on a dime 6 months out. /S

AllBizness

Banned
does any company really care about fans and games? look at EA...dice fucked up anthem and bf2042..both are not being really fixxed
EA sucks at the online live service game genre and it's only a matter of time before shareholders spot this weakness. Anthem could've been as big as Destiny damn shame

He is salty that he got sacked from his job because square obviously seen the state of the game months prior to release and decided to cut their losses.
That doesn't actually add up, either. "Cutting their losses" would mean just canning the game outright, like Microsoft did with Scalebound. Which would had been the most logical thing to do if the project just wasn't coming together; that way all the details are kept under wraps and professional business relationships wouldn't have been damaged over it.

Furthermore, if Square-Enix let it get far enough that it HAD to be released, it would had been way better for them to let it be Naka's baby the whole way through so, had it turned out the same, he can be given the ol' Mighty No. 9 treatment Inafune got, without Square-Enix being caught in what seems to be the losing end of a lawsuit.

Note: Square-Enix on the losing end of a lawsuit being the critical difference in outcome between other disappointments like MN9 or Shenmue 3 and this.

You can't just keep introducing new machanics and gameplay changes when the game should be just bug testing, you need to mail this stuff down and test it and work out the kinks way earlier in the cycle.
That's funny, I thought modern games were all about being launched in incomplete states and paid DLC being used to actually make the games feature complete later on. I would have thought Naka would have thrived in this environment considering he innovated in that regard with Sonic 3! :p

BlackTron

Yuki Naka has been an asshole since the dawn of time, even during his glory days on top of the world programming the Sonic rolling physics which allowed him to be so much better than us dumb Americans whom he graced with his presence. This is just more of his same old business drama BS.

But then, he gave me Sonic 2, Sonic Adventure and Phantasy Star Online so he could probably rape Pikachu and I'd be cool with it.

Notabueno

Banned
Why would I go on social media ever aside from talking with fam or for careers? I dont even have Twitter or Instagram accounts.

If he thinks Square did hum wrong, them clam up and take Square to court to get retribution. What is social media whining going to do to solve his situation?
there's a whole world out there...whenever you've ever confronted it.

Top Bottom