• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yuji Naka supposedly Arrested

Rykan

Found on Twitter

Using google Translate:

The Tokyo District Public Prosecutors Office has arrested Yuji Naka (57), a game creator, today in connection with an insider trading case involving development information for the new work of the popular "Dragon Quest."

According to the special investigation unit, the suspect was an employee of the game company Square Enix (Square Enix), which was jointly developed by Square Enix and the online game production company Aiming in late January 2020. In addition, it is said that he learned important information about "Dragon Quest Tact".

The suspect is said to have bought about 10,000 shares of "Aiming" for about 2.8 million yen before the information was announced. The suspect was arrested for insider trading under the Financial Instruments and Exchange Act.

In this case, Taisuke Sasaki (38), a former employee of Square Enix, and Fumiaki Suzuki (40), an acquaintance, were arrested yesterday on suspicion of insider trading. It is said that the two purchased about 162,000 shares of Aiming for about 47.2 million yen.

All three of them are believed to have bought shares in Aiming, thinking that if information on "Dragon Quest Tact" was announced, the share price of Aiming would rise. It was not disclosed whether the three had sold out of their shares.

Try to defend this one, Sonic Fans.

Last edited:

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

To be fair Yuji Naka hasn't been a part of the series since mid-development of Sonic 2006 (a game that was rushed for the '06 holidays by Sega and had its dev team cut in half). The series literally stopped being good after he left. Sure you had some mediocre games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 3D Blast but overall the series had a pedigree of being decent before Sonic 2006. Its sad to read he is arrested for this but I will always be grateful for his programming on the Genesis games & producing on the Dreamcast/GBA games.

Sleepwalker

Gold Member
2.8 million yen works out to about $20k USD at today's values.

Not really a big deal. I give him a pass. Give him community service or something.
The japanese legal system is no joke, hes probably already in the gulag and confessed to a couple murders on top of insider trading by now.

ManaByte

8267c8c547946c41ab51c63cd273614e.gif

Scotty W

I clicked the thread expecting he was arrested for creating Balan Wondeworld. Instead, it's about a bunch of money. Disappointed.
Perhaps this us the reason he was fired before being able to finish the game. If so, the absolute gall to blame SE for canning him and ruining his game.

Whitecrow

Banned
To be fair Yuji Naka hasn't been a part of the series since mid-development of Sonic 2006 (a game that was rushed for the '06 holidays by Sega and had its dev team cut in half). The series literally stopped being good after he left. Sure you had some mediocre games like Shadow the Hedgehog and Sonic 3D Blast but overall the series had a pedigree of being decent before Sonic 2006. Its sad to read he is arrested for this but I will always be grateful for his programming on the Genesis games & producing on the Dreamcast/GBA games.
But Sonic 3D Blast was not a mediocre game...

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Found on Twitter

Using google Translate:

Never liked Sonic but it's not like he's a pedo or anything. Would have probably easily gotten away with it and made bank if it wasn't in Japan. High profile rich folks and/or politicians even seem to tamper with the market in worse ways on a daily basis elsewhere and it's no biggie. Sucks to be him.

Last edited:

supernova8

Banned
A small group suddenly buying 50 million yen (like 500 grand) worth of shares in one (relatively small) company is exactly the sort of thing the regulators would be looking out for as an alarm bell.
Kinda surprised an intelligent person like him would be so stupid.

Last edited:

calistan

I visited his studio at Sega once. It had won some sort of best office award and was way more plush and expensive than anyone else's. There was a soft padded room filled with cubes and cushions that you could drag around to make various different lounging spaces, or act out scenes from Sonic games without hurting yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom