• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zack Snyder's Justice League Review Thread

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

CRITICS CONSENSUS​

Zack Snyder's Justice League lives up to its title with a sprawling cut that expands to fit the director's vision, and should satisfy the fans who willed it into existence

unknown.png

Variety
"[This] has to be one of the most visually spellbinding comic-book movies ever made.
The clashing battles never give you that weary, here’s-some-more-CGI feeling, because they’ve been staged with a supreme conviction that’s more 'Seven Samurai' than super invincible."

The Hollywood Reporter
"[After] the Man of Steel comes back to life and our heroes get their twilight glory pose, Snyder tacks on an exasperating epilogue — offering a window into alternate realities, with even deadlier conflicts between the iconic characters who're supposed to be super-friends.
No thanks, guys. This was more than enough."

IGN
"With a mature approach to its superhero drama, better-realized antagonists, and improved action, Snyder’s version of Justice League saves the movie from the dustbin of history."

ComicBook.com
"Yes, Zack Snyder’s Justice League has a handful of flaws," it reads, "but they are largely outweighed by the sense of grandiosity and earnest spectacle on display -- one that proves just what ensemble superhero movies can still be capable of."

ComicBookMovie
"Zack Snyder’s Justice League is the superhero movie event of the decade; epic and exciting, it lives up to the hype, and features a standout performance from Ray Fisher as Cyborg along with must-see teases for a sequel we can only hope becomes a reality."

JoBlo.com
"The Joss Whedon version of Justice League has barely any footage in common with this, beyond a few heavily modified sequences.
This is a new movie and should be viewed as such. Hopefully, it’ll lead to more Snyder in the DCEU. It may seem unlikely but the mere existence of this movie proves nothing is off the table."

Uproxx
"[My] mindset on this movie has changed from “a disaster” to “a competently made, interesting misfire."
And for people, like me, who aren’t totally on board with Snyder’s grand vision for these films, well maybe, in Snyder’s mind, that’s a win."

ThePlaylist
"While it feels like cultural factions have been fighting over “Zack Snyder’s Justice League” for years, the winners ultimately will be the fans. ‘ZSJL’ is a fan cut as much as it is a director’s cut, with all the indulgence that the notion applies"

RogerEbert
"It's so bombastic that it makes "Batman v. Superman: Dawn of Justice" seem modest. It will mainly please the people who clamored for it. Even fans of the genre might consider it a bit much. It owes as much to rock concerts, video games, and multimedia installations as it does to commercial narrative filmmaking.
It's maddening. It's monumental. It's art."

NYTimes
"Predictably, the supersized run time allows the narrative room to stretch, for better or for worse."

DenOfGeek
"For the most devoted disciples, moments like Justice League’s new, inexplicable epilogue will be treated like scripture, which is fine. To everyone else though, know that Zack Snyder’s Justice League is a cold and it’s a very broken hallelujah."

unknown.png

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
I'm so glad this turned out great for the fella, I like Zack's flicks, his Dawn remake remains one of the best horror films of all time imo and his style of filmmaking makes a welcome change to the usual shit by numbers shite.

I gotta admit I'm surprised as hell it's turned out as well as it has as the Josh Whedon release was beyond fucking terrible so I can't wait to watch this on 4K

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
Sounds like the finale is amazing which is great because I thought the final fight with Stephenwolf was really lame. they punch him like three times and the battle is over.

I also gotta admit that this turned out to be this good. I thought the critics were gonna trash it again just like they did BvS and Man of Steel, but they liked this?

Not that it matters what they think. I watch snyder movies to see fantastic visuals and great score. Cant believe this thing actually happened.

ManaByte

Hey I love MoS and BvS (proof here and here). But my opinion of this is sullied by having to withstand three years of this shit and this shit and this.

And before someone springs the Whataboutism "all fandoms are toxic", everyone knows this is still a problem with this movie, even people posting their reviews today are begging to not be killed for having a negative opinion:
NlU4V0g.png

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Hey I love MoS and BvS (proof here and here). But my opinion of this is sullied by having to withstand three years of this shit and this shit and this.

And before someone springs the Whataboutism "all fandoms are toxic", everyone knows this is still a problem with this movie, even people posting their reviews today are begging to not be killed for having a negative opinion:
NlU4V0g.png

As you talk about toxicity:

ManaByte

As you talk about toxicity:

You might want to talk to the head of HBO Max before linking the YouTube channel that organizes much of the harassment people have suffered for the last three years.

“It isn’t as easy as going into the vault and there’s a Snyder Cut sitting in there to put out,” Greenblatt said in the interview. “It does not exist. Zack is actually building it, and it’s complex, including—and I don’t want to get into too much detail that we haven’t already talked about yet—new FX shots. It’s a radical rethinking of that movie and it’s complicated and wildly expensive.”

In the aftermath of the news last week, sources told The Hollywood Reporter the Snyder cut could cost between $20 and $30 million to complete. When confronted with that pricetag, Greenblatt suggested $30 million might be more of a floor.

“I’ll just say I wish it was just $30 million and stop there,” he said in the interview. “It’s an enormous undertaking and very complex.”

I guess by this logic the head of HBO Max deserves to die for being "toxic" and saying the cut didn't exist in a vault somewhere and they had to spend millions to create it.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
You might want to talk to the head of HBO Max before linking the YouTube channel that organizes much of the harassment people have suffered for the last three years.

Oh I'm not saying it doesn't exist, but the world isn't all black or white.
Now please keep those troll post to your OT, or go pm if you really want to argue.
I'm not gonna respond to you here anymore because it just time waisted.

Rockondevil

Gold Member
Can't wait for this. Been a long haul.
I'll admit I'm a little salty that people got early viewings of this due to many of us fighting for this movie for years while so many out there were just saying it'd never happen and didn't exist.

highrider

Banned
I like Zac. He understands action which until Marvel was a huge failing of superhero films. I like his use of filters and music, I think he understands visuals and design far better than most. The main knock on him is kind of grandiosity and inconsistent storytelling which is a totally fair critique.

e&e

Banned
I won’t believe this till I see it for myself...now my expectation has been raised for better or worse!

Last edited:

acm2000

Not gonna lie, I lost a lot of interest in this when I saw the aspect ratio, it went from 0-sec to 0-weekish on my watch list

Wvrs

If this is actually a good Justice League film ... hype. I loved Man of Steel and thought the Ultimate Cut of BvS wasn't bad.

If it delivers I'll say give Zack back the keys and let him make his sequels. Then when all's done, reboot it all and make a more comic-accurate shared universe à la Marvel.

Though at this point I'm still prepared for this post to age poorly. Either way, I'm there on Friday.

SJRB

Gold Member
I am sooooooo glad this isn't a catastrophy and is turning out to be an actual redemption for Snyder, Affleck , Cavill and all others.

SUPER hyped for Thursday.

FunkMiller

Surprised and pleased that Snyder has made a movie that seems to be a lot better than the poor quality of Batman V Superman, and the abortion of Josstice League.

Last edited:

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Seeing angry marvel fan boys get pissy because the rt is higher than they want it to be is giving me life
Look the OT of this movie, I had a little fun with someone but now I've been banned from it...

Last edited:
Top Bottom