• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Direct This Week

I played and loved every mainline Zelda, but I feel almost zero hype for this one. Am I alone in this?
I was in the same boat. But think about this. Can it be any worse then BOTW? Can it really have any less of a story? Puzzles. Maybe dungeons? We know what the Zelda team is capable of. Its been over 6 years. Same world, so what have they been doing? Possible they were creating an amazing story and puzzles that we as classic Zelda fans love. And most likely it will be another 6 years until the next Zelda game. This is an event. This is a new Zelda game. Get hyped. And if it turns out to be another Breath of the Wild, we shall go back to playing Ocarina of Time & Windwaker again.

Mr Branding

I was in the same boat. But think about this. Can it be any worse then BOTW? Can it really have any less of a story? Puzzles. Maybe dungeons? We know what the Zelda team is capable of. Its been over 6 years. Same world, so what have they been doing? Possible they were creating an amazing story and puzzles that we as classic Zelda fans love. And most likely it will be another 6 years until the next Zelda game. This is an event. This is a new Zelda game. Get hyped. And if it turns out to be another Breath of the Wild, we shall go back to playing Ocarina of Time & Windwaker again.
I’m here also. Super underwhelmed to the point I’m still considering passing on this one. But you are right, it cannot be a downgrade of Botw. I’m sure they are holding back a LOT of stuff, since developing Ultrahand and Fuse can’t take 6 years, especially since you have most of the world and tech already done, more or less.
Will this get my 70$? I will wait on the release to see but I’m also sure all outlets will hype it and shower it with praise.

diffusionx

Gold Member
I think there is an overall lack of enthusiasm for this game, we've seen so little and most people are just trusting that Nintendo will deliver something awesome. It can't just be the old map with a few new physics things. They need to start showing more stuff.

Also - Nintendo is not going to announce ports of old Zelda games before the new one comes out. They're much more likely to just leave them on the shelf until 2024 to fill holes in the lineup as they have done in the past. See: Skyward Sword HD, Metroid Prime remastered.

Last edited:

Beer Baelly

Al Pachinko, Konami President
nswitch_thelegendofzerreez.jpg

Mr Branding

Forgot to mention but that artbook leak has me way more hyped for this than any trailer has managed to.

I’m sure they are also holding out ports/remasters of other Zeldas for the next console.

Woopah

I played and loved every mainline Zelda, but I feel almost zero hype for this one. Am I alone in this?
I'm the same, we need the equivalent of the BOTW trailer from the Switch reveal presentation where they actually reveal everything.

As others have pointed out, Nintendo gas not yet shown any of the interesting things from the art boom leak. Plus a lot of us were worried that BOTW would have no towns, and that ended up being completely wrong.

blacktout

All the hype right now is from our imagination of what this game could be, not hype from what Nintendo has shown. Attatching a stick to a rock to hit enemies is not exciting.

Totally disagree with this. My enthusiasm for TotK was pretty tepid prior to the gameplay presentation, even though I loved BotW, because everything shown was vague teases that you had to try to decipher, but, silly as this sounds, I literally fucking gasped multiple times during the gameplay demo.

The most thrilling part of BotW for me was the sheer number of unique and surprising ways you could use the game's systems to interact with the world and the gameplay demo made it clear that I am going to be able to do some crazy shit in TotK. I don't care about anything else. In fact, I would rather discover the rest for myself.

Last edited:
Totally disagree with this. My enthusiasm for TotK was pretty tepid prior to the gameplay presentation, even though I loved BotW, because everything shown was vague teases that you had to try to decipher, but, silly as this sounds, I literally fucking gasped multiple times during the gameplay demo.

The most thrilling part of BotW for me was the sheer number of unique and surprising ways you could use the game's systems to interact with the world and the gameplay demo made it clear that I am going to be able to do some crazy shit in TotK. I don't care about anything else. In fact, I would rather discover the rest for myself.
You just proved my point. They didn’t show you one of the thrilling combinations. They showed you a simple one. Your imagination is whats thrilling you. What COULD be possible. That was my point.

Why are we making rumor threads not labeled as such, based on junk YouTubers with *zero* insider information?
It only lets me edit my first post, not the title. I immediately tried to once I realized I didn’t put rumor in the title but I don’t see that option. Unless there is a way, let me know.

DKPOWPOW

I agree but the Nintedo faithful are probably still just as hyped as nothing shown could've ever tempered their belief. Lots of more rational minded individuals are at least questioning "could this actually be less than expected?" after the demo whereas that possibility hadn't crossed their minds yet.

What can we agree on in terms of what we'd generally have expected from botw's sequel? The way I see it Nintendo can't expect people to be happy if they've just altered the map and added sky islands. There has to be something to make up for that which I'm hoping their hiding.

I understand not everyone will share that perspective and that for some, as long as the map is "sufficiently altered" then that will be enough for them. For me, they'd have to avoid all but a few key areas being topographically the same. I don't want to explore and have most of the map be the same landscapes I've already traversed. Twenty five percent? I could live with that. Right now though the impression I'm getting is this Hyrule will be like 80 percent the same.
Only the blind faithful wouldn't question question at all what we've seen.
I do feel like they must be holding onto more than this... But I am very unsure about how they are playing their cards right now.

We are a month away, and we have seen less of this game than any other Zelda I can remember getting hyped for. Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker, Twilight, Skyward, And yes even Breath of the Wild.

We all knew far more about those games prior to release. Especially a month away.

The way they keep talking about the sky may mean it's far bigger than imagined...

But we just don't know. We know almost nothing. So far, it looks very similar to BotW, it has some very interesting and new quirky abilities... And that you can skydive and go to sky islands.

The trailers have shown glimpses at the story but we know how that went with BotW. It's very difficult to know what they all mean when it could be taken out of context.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
I do feel like they must be holding onto more than this... But I am very unsure about how they are playing their cards right now.

We are a month away, and we have seen less of this game than any other Zelda I can remember getting hyped for. Ocarina, Majora, Wind Waker, Twilight, Skyward, And yes even Breath of the Wild.

We all knew far more about those games prior to release. Especially a month away.

The way they keep talking about the sky may mean it's far bigger than imagined...

But we just don't know. We know almost nothing. So far, it looks very similar to BotW, it has some very interesting and new quirky abilities... And that you can skydive and go to sky islands.

The trailers have shown glimpses at the story but we know how that went with BotW. It's very difficult to know what they all mean when it could be taken out of context.
Exactly. Why would they take so long in developing this game if there isn't more than we have seen. Makes no sense. They're hiding stuff.

Lethal01

I'm just expecting what they have shown plus the obvious stuff, there will obviously be some big "dungeons" atleast akin to the divine beasts.
The sky islands are enough for a new game assuming they are big enough, the one they show is about as big as the great plateau, the question is how many are there.

Last edited:

DKPOWPOW

Not having twilight princess and wind waker is a problem.
Maybe they're just waiting to port them to the next Switch instead? It would make more sense to fill in the gaps there after it launches, plus a 4K? version would likely get more hype than a straight up port that the Wii U matches in 1080p.

Top Bottom