• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: Tears of the Kingdom Has the Largest File Size of Any First Party Nintendo Switch Game (18.2GB)

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
And what good is it if 83% is copy paste from BOTW.?

That reminds me of the nonsense that Eiji Aonuma said at the launch of Twilight princess, saying that it was the most gigantic game ever, and it was only a 1.4 GB disc 😂.
More like 1.19GB. It was an amazing, long & varied adventure, every time I thought it's over it did cool new stuff for another 5 hours. It took me around 40 the first time without doing many side activities, messing around or not progressing the main story (which is the point as Zelda is no TES, which incidentally shows data size doesn't reflect game size, see how big the pre-Morrowind - just 1GB itself - Daggerfall was, or pre-Dangerous Elite). I don't think you often got that length in single player action adventures even back then (for example the old, or new, Tomb Raider titles being a 3rd or 4th of it). Of course it pales in comparison to sandbox/open world/role playing games full of repetition but despite similarities with some in these genres it's not really that kind of game, for example there's little to no loot hunting in a pre-BOTW (ok SS had a bit of that too I guess) Zelda game.

Last edited:

OmegaSupreme

advanced basic bitch
Nintendo can put shit in a bag and it would still get high reviews.
Happy Oh Boy GIF by Lillee Jean

AetherZX

Both games are sitting at 72 on Metacritic. How is that a bad score?
Your post insinuates their first party games are inevitably going to review high. 72 isn't bad, but it's decidedly average, especially for a major entry in an incredibly popular franchise.

Trilobit

Would be funny if they just copypasted BotW and 3,8GB is all the new material of Totk.

Looking forward to it intensely. The spectacular swan song of Switch. :messenger_sunglasses:

Camreezie

When this is all said and done and Tears of the kingdom and the inevitable season pass content has all released. Can we go back to new linear 3d zelda too with actual designed dungeons

goldenpp72

i mean i should hope so, its totally not a dlc that got turned into a full fledged sequel, nope.

Super Mario Galaxy 2 started off this way and is considered one of if not the greatest games ever crafted, Majora's Mask also had a pretty humble 'it looks like an expansion' within the fanbase, and now that is also adored, so I sure hope you're right.

Average is 50 my guy. 72 is still a high score, especially considering it's a game made with minimal effort.

In school if you get a 50 you are decidedly not "average", I get the annoyance in half the numbers not getting used but there's a reason the "gaming average" is higher than 50%, games that would be getting 4s or lower are usually getting scrapped well before they even get a trailer let alone being released, and those that do are usually indie/low effort garbage that 99% of people never hear of. A high budget game getting below a 70 is very bad, a 50 would likely put a dev/publisher out of business.

PJX

In school if you get a 50 you are decidedly not "average", I get the annoyance in half the numbers not getting used but there's a reason the "gaming average" is higher than 50%, games that would be getting 4s or lower are usually getting scrapped well before they even get a trailer let alone being released, and those that do are usually indie/low effort garbage that 99% of people never hear of. A high budget game getting below a 70 is very bad, a 50 would likely put a dev/publisher out of business.

Please just stop it. Only in gaming this logic is used. It's only used by publishers to push a narrative and consumers like you eat it up.

You need to understand the difference between median and average.
Ok bud lol

BlackTron

Average is 50 my guy. 72 is still a high score, especially considering it's a game made with minimal effort.

I hate to break this to you, but a few things have changed in the few decades since you were reading GamePro.

Hang around the Internet for a few days and you'll be up to speed in no time.

Robbinhood

Banned
Nintendo games have very little assets, not surprised it’s only 18 geebees.

You got a few huts, green grass and some dirt

Last edited:

Filben

For that price they better pack the module to the limit!

Jokes aside, file size was never an indicator for content and world size.

Please just stop it. Only in gaming this logic is used. It's only used by publishers to push a narrative and consumers like you eat it up.

You do know "average" is in relation to other games right, not average as in the average number I mean I literally gave you an example outside of games where the "logic" is used, if you get 50% in school you are failing and well below average. If 50% of people get 80% on a test, 80 would be average, 50 would be well below average. The games that are getting big trailers and loads of budget have already surpassed most games by actually functioning and not being scrapped. The games you are hearing about and playing are significantly better than the "average" game considering just how many shovelware indie games, or low effort mobile gacha games, or any other number of games that 99% of people don't even know exist. If you want to start giving 5's to an average game then we'd have to start going into the negatives to accurately rate the types of games getting 1s, 2s, 3s right now. Which would make even less sense than the current system

LordOfChaos

That's cute lol, largest file size of any first party Nintendo game, still a fraction of what many modern AAA titles hit.

That's only 3.8GB more than BoTW. If they had to jump to 32GB cards, I'd say you may as well use that size if you spent that cost, though less install size is nice. Wondering how much will be substantially new on the map or the main map is going to be the same.

Kuranghi

9,999 tree poops to find confirmed. 😅

Ya-haha!

I found 600ish poos on my own but then I caved and used the guide book + eventually an online save editor to make the rest.

I think maybe excepting one of them they were all extremely similar variations on what I had done already with other poos so I didn't feel too guilty, I just wanted to have closure on the quest.

Here's hoping there's something similar but a lot less plentiful and each one more unique, unless they have 900 unique ideas then by all means but I don't think that's likely even for them lol

Teslerum

You do know "average" is in relation to other games right, not average as in the average number I mean I literally gave you an example outside of games where the "logic" is used, if you get 50% in school you are failing and well below average. If 50% of people get 80% on a test, 80 would be average, 50 would be well below average. The games that are getting big trailers and loads of budget have already surpassed most games by actually functioning and not being scrapped. The games you are hearing about and playing are significantly better than the "average" game considering just how many shovelware indie games, or low effort mobile gacha games, or any other number of games that 99% of people don't even know exist. If you want to start giving 5's to an average game then we'd have to start going into the negatives to accurately rate the types of games getting 1s, 2s, 3s right now. Which would make even less sense than the current system
Pretty much.

ANYTHING performance related is automatically biased above 50% because for the average to be 50% it needs to actually average out to 50%

And it doesn't. For one because you have to imagine what 0% actually means in this context. For school and sport it would literally mean not doing anything. Like just not going to school or just not stepping on the pitch. For games it would mean you can't play it, hell you can make the argument that you can't even download it.

That's not exactly what happens which drives the average up.There's other factors too.

Now we can talk about how scores are bloated, especially when it comes to gaming, but that's an entirely seperate issue.

Last edited:

Teletraan1

Banned
5 extra GB of weapons that break after a few swings and shields that break 3 feet down a hill while riding on them. The previous one had 0 GB of interesting dungeons so they better improve that. Maybe 5GB of varied walking animations while you schlep over to the next POI. I will have to read 5 GB of text to find a honest review that doesn't sound like it was written by the biggest Nintendo fanboy on the planet. Yeah I really didn't love that last Zelda game. For me Zelda lives and dies by Overworld exploration and dungeons. The overworld was the best part of BotW but far too sparse. BotW fully embraced pick up and play bite sized gameplay with those lame ass dungeons. Add in all my other annoyances with this game and it was a 7.5 for me at best.

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ya-haha!

I found 600ish poos on my own but then I caved and used the guide book + eventually an online save editor to make the rest.

I think maybe excepting one of them they were all extremely similar variations on what I had done already with other poos so I didn't feel too guilty, I just wanted to have closure on the quest.

Here's hoping there's something similar but a lot less plentiful and each one more unique, unless they have 900 unique ideas then by all means but I don't think that's likely even for them lol
I can't remember how many I got. I did do all the memories though and only have about a dozen shrines left to find. Not sure if I'll ever load it up though, it's been a while.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Tears of the kingdom might get the breath of the wild cross gen treatment (Wii u, Switch).

Was it ever confirmed whether or not the game will use the same world map as botw?

Also, has anyone ever played second wind? I am contemplating playing through botw again with second wind prior to playing through tears.

Last edited:

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
We still don't know the secret of this one. Six years of development. I'm not convinced that it is an expansion of BotW. There is something significant about the core aspects of this game we have barely been teased about. We should be getting a game specific Direct for this one.

LordOfChaos

We still don't know the secret of this one. Six years of development. I'm not convinced that it is an expansion of BotW. There is something significant about the core aspects of this game we have barely been teased about. We should be getting a game specific Direct for this one.

I'm half tempted to feel this way and half not wanting to let myself lol, there's room for speculation on moving more underground while reusing the on ground map, but this was never confirmed or shown, just brief pieces people speculating on. I feel like with Nintendo it's probably best to take it at face value and be surprised rather than expecting more and getting what they showed at face value.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
I think we all hope that. But I've been thinking I was sure Splatoon 3 had more to it that they are not revealing, but nope, what you saw was basically Splatoon 2+ and could've been a DLC. Like Splatoon 3, I will still play TotK and I'm sure I'll enjoy being back in the world, but I get a feeling this might feel like BotW+.

nkarafo

and nonsensical low quality sound samples of "boop boop" noises for character voices instead of them actually speaking.
Thank god for that. I don't need more pretentious and edgy voice acting in my games. Give me beeps and boops or Banjo-Kazooie gulps with text all day. Save the voice acting space and budget for something more meaningful.

ADiTAR

ידע זה כוח
Thank god for that. I don't need more pretentious and edgy voice acting in my games. Give me beeps and boops or Banjo-Kazooie gulps with text all day. Save the voice acting space and budget for something more meaningful.
Yeah, hearing the Suicide Squad trailer, I don't get how you can play co-op with so much chatter that prob repeats itself at some point.

Top Bottom