• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda Wii U - Recap of 5 hours gameplay stream

So the physics worked as they should, the speed of the boulder knocks link off and makes it impossible to hold on.
most likely yes, but for whatever reason the NintendoLife dude wrapped around and grabbed on to the side of the boulder that was going to be traveling directly into him. Probably a bit smarter to grab on to the opposite side

TheMoon

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDGCvdw8z4
Easy Allies 50min video with commentary.

From the first few minutes I learned that bombs float on water and you can push them along.

lol.

edit: a bit embarrassing that he doesn't realize that he has spherical and cubed bombs and brute forces that bomb trial puzzle with a spherical bomb instead of doing the smart thing.

TheMoon

Ugh I hate when your inventory gets full to fast. I hope this won't be a problem in this game.

Don't see how if you pay attention and don't pick up every single random weapon an enemy drops. Because that's what everyone in the E3 demo is doing. Pick up everything all the time.

Don't see how if you pay attention and don't pick up every single random weapon an enemy drops. Because that's what everyone in the E3 demo is doing. Pick up everything all the time.

To build on this, during one of the interviews during E3, I believe it was Aonuma who said that he heard people talk about how Link could put the Ball and Chain away in his pocket, and how it wasn't exactly realistic he was lugging that around. Which is partly what drew him to the idea having a limit to your pocket. You can still carry a lot of stuff, but maybe it's more reasonable!

TheMoon

To build on this, during one of the interviews during E3, I believe it was Aonuma who said that he heard people talk about how Link could put the Ball and Chain away in his pocket, and how it wasn't exactly realistic he was lugging that around. Which is partly what drew him to the idea having a limit to your pocket. You can still carry a lot of stuff, but maybe it's more reasonable!

And you don't wanna cycle through 50 boko clubs to find that one sword you found.

ReyVGM

Ugh I hate when your inventory gets full to fast. I hope this won't be a problem in this game.

They said you can expand the inventory slots later on.

Besides, weapons break, so you are supposed to always be freeing space up as you use them. And, they also provide a survival aspect to the game.

So, the towers are called resurrection towers. I have a feeling that the theme of resurrection goes further than something like resurrecting Link. He was just asleep.

Zero-ELEC

Banned
So, the towers are called resurrection towers. I have a feeling that the theme of resurrection goes further than something like resurrecting Link. He was just asleep.

They're not called resurrection towers, they're called Sheikah Towers. Only the shine where Link wakes up is called Shrine of Resurrection.

RagnarokX

They're not called resurrection towers, they're called Sheikah Towers. Only the shine where Link wakes up is called Shrine of Resurrection.

The tower on the Great Plateau is called Resurrection Tower, but I'm sure that's just the name of that one tower because it's next to the Shrine of Resurrection. Since the towers are Sheikah Towers, they are probably all named after a nearby Sheikah installation.

Nosgotham

hes been asleep for 100 years, yes. but maybe that doesnt mean he wasnt ressurected. example: hero of time dies. they ressurect him but keep him in contained in stasis,sleeping, until the time was right. i mean its called a ressurection chamber

RagnarokX

hes been asleep for 100 years, yes. but maybe that doesnt mean he wasnt ressurected. example: hero of time dies. they ressurect him but keep him in contained in stasis,sleeping, until the time was right. i mean its called a ressurection chamber
Plus the machine he was asleep in says "care unit" on the side, so it's clearly been healing him.

Right, it's totally possible. I'm just saying there's a chance that isn't exactly the case.

Plus the machine he was asleep in says "care unit" on the side, so it's clearly been healing him.

I would expect a chamber designed to keep a person stable for 100 years to provide care.

RagnarokX

Speaking of the care unit

utxJDL1.jpg

Finally found a video where someone ran around the thing so I could fully confirm the text. Could only see "NITCARE" before but here you can see it repeats CAREUNIT over and over. IE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensive_care_unit

marmoka

Banned
I watched the game's trailer yesterday in my mother's house, in her 32 inches TV. The same trailer makes the game looked impressive there, and now looks meh in my 15 inches laptop.

Why is March 2017 so far away??

Do the Ice arrows freeze some of the water?

- You shoot an ice arrow in the water (or use that ice block tablet ability)
- You make some fire in the grass preceding the water line.
- You find a near cliff.
- You shield surf down.
- Jump off the shield at the fire
- Use the updraft with the paraglider
- Glide to the place whre the ice froze the water.
- And jump to the other side of the body of water.

congrats, you just crossed a river in style.

It's stuff like this that gets me the most excited. The sort of emergent gameplay possibilities using logic and the physics and outside of the box thinking will be simply unlimited!

I read your little thought experiment and instantly dismissed it but then I carefully considered it and think it or a variation of it will be feasible!

I hope that when you "throw" the master sword, a laser shoots out of its blade instead :)

I was just thinking about it and you know: whichever timeline this is, the technology involved would be the first time the sword beam could be "realistically" explained as ancient sheikah tech that augments the blade with laser capabilities.

Lasergun blade in my Zuruda plz

I watched about 30 minutes of gameplay last night and it was good, but it really pales in comparison to games like The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn in visuals.

Dmax3901

I watched about 30 minutes of gameplay last night and it was good, but it really pales in comparison to games like The Witcher 3 and Horizon Zero Dawn in visuals.

Well yeah but 1. I'd take something that challenges gameplay conventions and looks like BotW over yet another high fidelity open-world game (we have enough) and 2. It's a Wii U game so if you were expecting otherwise you've only got yourself to blame.

RagnarokX

I was just thinking about it and you know: whichever timeline this is, the technology involved would be the first time the sword beam could be "realistically" explained as ancient sheikah tech that augments the blade with laser capabilities.

Lasergun blade in my Zuruda plz

The sword beam was in Skyward Sword, the earliest game in the timeline, the game that gave the Master Sword a built-in computer AI.

Gleethor

Of course it does. But considering the hardware its running on it looks damn good. Hopefully the NX version is more than just an upres.

majik13

Obviously those games look great. Cant wait to try Horizon, and while Witcher looks great I wasnt blown away by the environments on PS4. But neither of those games have impressed with the scale of their environements. In Zelda it seems you can see actual destinations leagues in the distance no matter what direction you look. Not saying that isnt ever the case in the other games but much more prevelant in Zelda. Just screams vast and epic in alot of the footage.

Dmax3901

Obviously those games look great. Cant wait to try Horizon, and while Witcher looks great I wasnt blown away by the environments on PS4. But neither of those games have impressed with the scale of their environemnts. In Zelda it seems you can see actual destinations leagues in the distance no matter what dirextion you look. Not saying that isnt ever the case in the other gameas but much more prevelant in Zelda. Just screams vast and epic in alot of the footage.

Yeah, in the second Witcher expansion Blood and Wine they improved the draw distance quite nicely, but it still doesn't quite capture some of the distances on display in BotW.

Also I get the impression that Horizon is gonna be 'open' sections like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Yeah, in the second Witcher expansion Blood and Wine they improved the draw distance quite nicely, but it still doesn't quite capture some of the distances on display in BotW.

Also I get the impression that Horizon is gonna be 'open' sections like Rise of the Tomb Raider.

Horizon is completely open world. It's not hubs like ROTR.

"Driven by universe"...what does that even mean?

In a world where civilization has been reduced to tribalism, why are there clearly built paths that would need much more coordinated civilization to create without interference from the deadly robotic dinosaurs. These paths also aren't part of the old world either. I don't really get it.

Eradicate

This is not on the Plateau (see enemy).

Absolutely right!

Not sure if this has been posted already but Nintendo life posted a video of game play from viewers suggestions. Including trying to ride a boulder from staysis.

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=W8KOWuP9I7o

FWEzjZn.gif

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1SDGCvdw8z4
Easy Allies 50min video with commentary.

From the first few minutes I learned that bombs float on water and you can push them along.

lol.

edit: a bit embarrassing that he doesn't realize that he has spherical and cubed bombs and brute forces that bomb trial puzzle with a spherical bomb instead of doing the smart thing.

Ooooh, can't wait to skim through this! Thanks for sharing! The quality looks really good!

chadboban

Speaking of the care unit

utxJDL1.jpg

Finally found a video where someone ran around the thing so I could fully confirm the text. Could only see "NITCARE" before but here you can see it repeats CAREUNIT over and over. IE: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Intensive_care_unit

Can I just say that all of your Hylian text analysis has me seriously considering making my first tattoo a word in hylian text. I just love the look of the text so much and I was heavily considering making my first tattoo a Zelda one anyway. You wouldn't happen to have a template with letters that you could share in case I really decide to go through with it?

Can I just say that all of your Hylian text analysis has me seriously considering making my first tattoo a word in hylian text. I just love the look of the text so much and I was heavily considering making my first tattoo a Zelda one anyway. You wouldn't happen to have a template with letters that you could share in case I really decide to go through with it?

I already have a Triforce tattoo, I'd also be interested in this template in case I expand on the piece someday.

RagnarokX

Someone made this that is pretty good: http://image-cdn.gamnesia.com/33976/1__large.jpg

The person that made this assumed what J and X are. There are no words in the BotW that we've seen so far that contain J, Q, or X.

There's also this one: http://zeldawiki.org/images/1/15/BotW_Hylian_Language.png

This is the one I made from screenshots:
R9xTtAt.jpg

It's possible this is Sheikah language and there could be a separate Hylian, but I don't see that happening since the ancient technology in Skyward Sword used Hylian.

Here's a list of Hylian translations from Skyward Sword: http://zeldawiki.org/Hylian_Language_Translations/Skyward_Sword

Top Bottom