• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

zephyrus duo 15 is this laptop on par with Series x and PS5

SNG32

Would this laptop be able to hang with the PS5 and Series X. Not sure if I should get this or wait for the 3000 laptops.

• 2.4 GHz Intel Core i9-10980HK Eight-Core
  • 32GB DDR4 | 2 x 1TB NVMe PCIe M.2 SSD
  • 15.6" 3840 x 2160 4K 60 Hz Display
  • 14.1" 3840 x 1100 4K Touchscreen
  • NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 SUPER (8GB)
  • Wi-Fi 6 (802.11ax) | Bluetooth 5.0
  • USB Type-A | Thunderbolt 3 | HDMI
  • Windows 10 Pro (64-Bit)

Last edited:
I'd get the 1080p high refresh rate version if offered. I have the G14 w/ 4900 HS Ryzen 9 and 2060 Max Q and its awesome.

But to answer your question, yeah probably. Any game the Series X and PS5 will play, you'll play as well. Slight differences of course, but that laptop is a beast with those specs.

I guess my old issue here is that CPU. I wonder how well it cools in such a thin laptop.

Last edited:

smbu2000

Laptops are very thermally throttled. The GPUs can’t clock as high as their desktop counterparts. I used to have a 15” Razer Blade Advanced with an RTX 2080 and the performance of it was roughly the same as a desktop RTX 2060. It had more cuda cores, but much lower clock speeds. The super should only be slightly faster.

Both consoles should outperform the laptop.

Laptops are very thermally throttled. The GPUs can’t clock as high as their desktop counterparts. I used to have a 15” Razer Blade Advanced with an RTX 2080 and the performance of it was roughly the same as a desktop RTX 2060. It had more cuda cores, but much lower clock speeds. The super should only be slightly faster.

Both consoles should outperform the laptop.

Pretty much that. I have a Zephyrus S Ultra Slim with a 2080 max-q 90w version (the better one) and it's comparable to a 2060, with slightly better RT performance. This laptop is not equivalent to either a Series X or a PS5. Now, on the cpu side of thing, you're more than good enough, same with the RAM pool. It's just the GPU really that doesn't quite cut it.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I think the PS5 would run Microsoft office better but in the other hand the PlayStation store would be snappier on this laptop.

Yoboman

Dont do it

Gaming laptops are an over priced trap and never meet their on paper performance promise

You could probably build a comparable desktop and get a cheap work laptop (assuming you only need basic functions) for the same price

Last edited:

isoRhythm

Banned
DO NOT buy a gaming laptop.

I got a decent laptop and a powerful desktop and just stream my games from the desktop to laptop through Parsec

Last edited:

SNG32

Dont do it

Gaming laptops are an over priced trap and never meet their on paper performance promise

You could probably build a comparable desktop and get a cheap work laptop (assuming you only need basic functions) for the same price

For me I don’t really care for a desktop since I don’t have the space for one and I have a PS5 and plan on getting a Series X. I feel laptop better suits my needs and compliments my switch on the portability aspect if I’m travelling for work. TBH I mostly just want a laptop that will be good to play next gen fighters, Japanese games and emulators. Maybe this laptop is a little overkill for those needs. All the heavy duty games I’ll play on PS5 or Series X. Right now I have a laptop with a gtx 1070 and I’m looking to upgrade since it’s lacking on the cpu side which is a 6700hq.

Last edited:
Top Bottom