• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zwei!! pics (2d PS2 ARPG)

jarrod

Banned
img_feature_01.jpg
img_feature_02.jpg
img_feature_03.jpg
img_feature_22.jpg

....looking pretty great. It's originally a Falcom PC game, 2 player ARPG and Taito's handling the PS2 version. Hopefully Taito's renditions of Ys 3-5 are of the same quality... and hopefully someone picks up all these games up for US release. Hell, bundle if SCEA's being a bitch about it... a Ys Collection would sure be nice. :)

YES YES YES I want to see these come here. I never got around to trying the PC version of Zwei!!, but I've heard good things. There's no reason why Zwei!! shouldn't get approved. It's an accessible ARPG that's high-res and beautiful.

I looks great! Are there any larger screens? I don't understand why japanese developers always make their screenshots the size of a stamp.

Needs a DS release. I think it would be more tolerated there, since that's probably going to end up being just as much a 2D machine as it does a 3D machine. And in fact, it would be one of the best-looking 2D games on the system.

jarrod

Banned
Yeah, I think SCEA would probably pass this as it's all high resolution and a semi-recent PC port. Maybe someone like Working Designs or Mastiff should look into it?

fo shizzle said:
Needs a DS release. I think it would be more tolerated there, since that's probably going to end up being just as much a 2D machine as it does a 3D machine. And in fact, it would be one of the best-looking 2D games on the system.

No way. High-res 2D games belong on consoles. Why waste them on a handheld?

jiggle

If Chulips, and Katamari can make it, I don't see why not for this.
I think it'll depend more on publisher interest.
There are quite a few that I could imagine being interested in this: Atlus, Agetec, Working Designs, Mastiff, Fresh(are they still around?) and Nippon Ichi USA. Hell, maybe even Konami.

The screens I posted are from the PC version that was released awhile back, the screens jarrod posted are from the PS2 version. They should look the same though. And if they wanted to release it here they shouldn't have much problem considering how good it looks. There aren't many 2D RPG's that look better than this (I really can't think of any actually).

Mashing

I think that Alteir Iris game looked pretty similar quality wise to this one... but that's nto coming over (probably due to the content more than the look).

*after watching the vid*

1-jawdrop.gif
1-jawdrop.gif
1-jawdrop.gif
1-jawdrop.gif
1-jawdrop.gif
1-jawdrop.gif

Where/How to get this game ? I don't care if its japanese me wanna play !!

can it be downloaded ? a demo ? ANYTHING ??

Mashing said:
I think that Alteir Iris game looked pretty similar quality wise to this one... but that's nto coming over (probably due to the content more than the look).

What really puts Zwei over Atelier is how good Zwei looks in motion. Not that Atelier looks bad or anything, but Zwei is much more fluid.

Plus the music in the trailer sounds like something Mitsuda would do. Big big plus!

hirokazu

looks cool, i like it. there should be more sprite-based games, IMO, as long as the sprites are good and hi-res, like with this game.

The art sucks. Little body/big-headed characters were fine back in the SNES days, but they look pretty stupid now. Especially since they're hi-res.

Wow, this is just plain amazing. :p What a beautiful game. I swear, when someone puts in such such cutesy art and characters I just have to get it. They remind me of the little chibis for Tales of Phantasia.

ferricide

jiji said:
Yeah, because SD characters are only used because of technical limitations.
i don't think that's the suggestion. i'll vote in the "yuck" camp on the character sprites. way too cutesy and aesthetically mediocre IMO. and i like that sort of thing. it's one of the things that kept me from being super interested in this game when it hit japanese PCs; though i have a friend who beat the PC version and quite likd it.

belgurdo

Banned
jiji said:
Yeah, because SD characters are only used because of technical limitations.

Back in the day they were used for that reason. I guess the Japanese have a thing for tired traditions or something.

Mashing

For someone who had an Amy avatar (and yes, I'm aware of the irony of that statment giving the name of the person in my own avatar), shouldn't be talking about bad art.

ferricide said:
i don't think that's the suggestion. i'll vote in the "yuck" camp on the character sprites. way too cutesy and aesthetically mediocre IMO. and i like that sort of thing. it's one of the things that kept me from being super interested in this game when it hit japanese PCs; though i have a friend who beat the PC version and quite likd it.

Fair enough. They do look a bit googly-eyed, but given how saccharine the rest of the game seems to look (environments, interface), they seem to me to mix pretty well.

I'm just noticing that boss-thing in the third screenshot, though. Is that ugly 3D or just the result of weird scaling?

belgurdo

Banned
Mashing said:
For someone who had an Amy avatar (and yes, I'm aware of the irony of that statment giving the name of the person in my own avatar), shouldn't be talking about bad art.

Considering 1) I haven't had that avatar for a while, 2) it was of Rouge, and 3)this is the only place I've been to that really complains about anything Sega related so it would be expected that you'd use that as an example in these "bad art" arguments, I'll give you a C- for effort.

FoneBone

belgurdo said:
Considering 1) I haven't had that avatar for a while, 2) it was of Rouge, and 3)this is the only place I've been to that really complains about anything Sega related so it would be expected that you'd use that as an example in these "bad art" arguments, I'll give you a C- for effort.
I'm pretty sure you had that avatar as recently as last week. And people didn't hate on it because it was Sega-related; it's simply a shitty character design.

belgurdo

Banned
FoneBone said:
I'm pretty sure you had that avatar as recently as last week. And people didn't hate on it because it was Sega-related; it's simply a shitty character design.

I haven't had that avatar for two months. And I what I said in 3) still stands.

Top Bottom