• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“KONAMI has not given up on Console Gaming”, says European president Masami Saso

KOMANI

KOMANI

"It is a part of our legacy to create new ideas and IPs to fit each age, and we believe that spirit is one of the reasons for our strength in the mobile game market," Saso says. "We can provide high-quality mobile games because of our technology to create high-end console games, as well as having knowledge to operate games because of our experience in arcade, PC and browser games. Our extensive experience in creating games for many devices is a strength we have at Konami like no other."
Like any other sport, I believe the goal for esports in this industry is to have audiences, millions of fans, and become a huge source of entertainment, even larger than just video games. But for now, as a game publisher, we see it as a new field of interacting with and enjoying games. Before we go for the big goal, we are focusing on how to expand the fun in playing, participating and watching esports.

They’re doubling down on esports as evident from this article, rebranding PES as ePES, and building an esports arena in Tokyo.

Last edited:
Investing in an eSports venue - a marketing and real estate investment - speaks nothing to their intention to develop AAA videogames. And to be frank, if you’re not part of the company’s parental apparatus, there is little basis to believe anything said regarding the company’s intentions. It’s the Nintendo/Sego syndrome: unless it’s coming from HQ, all talk is just noise.

Caffeine

esports its time for mgo4 then with actual dedicated servers. I dont expect them to put out narrative games at all.

TacosNSalsa

Sooo Silent Hill and Castlevania pachinko games incoming . Available on PS4,XBOX ONE, SWITCH, PS3, X360, WII U , WII, PS2 ,XBOX , GAMECUBE 2020

Airbus Jr

Banned
tenor.gif

It seems like they're taking things very slowly in that regard. They've only developed 3 new games that aren't PES or Yu-Gi-Oh after MGSV came out, and they're all pretty low budget (Bomberman, Survive, Contra).

Kamina

Golden Boy
Not given up? You have been pulling it thought shit which is far worse.
Either show that you can make games and release something like a classic Castlevania or something, or piss off and go back to your Pachinko stuff you seem to love so much.

Caffeine

internally developed probably wont happen, but I wonder if they would pony up a budget to outsourced projects.

Gargus

Banned
Well the turbografx 16 mini is their first step towards convincing me they are coming back and trying to do stuff gamers want. Aside from snatcher probably not being in English on it I am very excited for that system if it's done right.

Other things they could do is release policenauts with an English translation, release a metal gear collection that's remastered, release a disc based konami classic collection or something of older titles, and make new entries in old franchises like vandal hearts, suikoden, or the Simpson's

SOTN2 announcment ????

Not gunna happen.

We have that, it's called bloodstained.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
Well the turbografx 16 mini is their first step towards convincing me they are coming back and trying to do stuff gamers want. Aside from snatcher probably not being in English on it I am very excited for that system if it's done right.

Other things they could do is release policenauts with an English translation, release a metal gear collection that's remastered, release a disc based konami classic collection or something of older titles, and make new entries in old franchises like vandal hearts, suikoden, or the Simpson's

We have that, it's called bloodstained.
People don’t talk about Vandal Hearts much. It’s good to see someone bring it up and is a fan. A real gem.

Saber

Gold Member
I wish they have the guts to do a Yu Gi Oh on the same quality as the 2010 DS version. They're pratically dead to me.

D

Deleted member 738976

Unconfirmed Member
Well fucking port over Metal Gear HD Collection then.
How this hasn't been done for Steam or Switch yet is beyond me. With Snake back in Smash Bros. it was literally free money for them.

nkarafo

If they give the Silent Hill IP to Kojima for free so he can finish whatever he was making, maybe then they will redeem themselves.

I want the old Konami back, not this new one. You know the one that made games like Silent Hill, Metal Gear, Rush and Attack, Castlevania, Bayou Billy, Suikoden, Contra, Gradius, Kensai: Sacred Fist, LifeForce, etc. I know the market changed, but I would like to see that diversity, passion and creativity from Konami again.

Last edited:

KOMANI

KOMANI
I wonder what it could be. Maybe a new Castlevania?
I don’t know. There are a lot of talented developers still at Konami. They are in a good place financially, hopefully they allow the resources for an in house development team to create freely. I would not expect a AAA game though, and that might be for the better. I think saying it isn’t SH or MG is a hint of that.

Edit: they might have seen the success of Bloodstained and that encouraged them to create a new Castlevania. And IGA did say he would return to Konami to develop more CV. If it is Castlevania, I would rather see Toru Hagihara direct it than IGA though.

Last edited:

cm osi

surely doesn't look like. is anyone from the old franchises even still at konami at this point?

I don’t know. There are a lot of talented developers still at Konami. They are in a good place financially, hopefully they allow the resources for an in house development team to create freely. I would not expect a AAA game though, and that might be for the better. I think saying it isn’t SH or MG is a hint of that.

Edit: they might have seen the success of Bloodstained and that encouraged them to create a new Castlevania. And IGA did say he would return to Konami to develop more CV. If it is Castlevania, I would rather see Toru Hagihara direct it than IGA though.
That's true, I was surprised to see a lot of familiar names in the credits for Metal Gear Survive, I'd assumed they'd all left with Kojima, but a fair few still remain. I'm fine with Konami not really doing any AAA stuff, I think there's a lot they could do with their franchises outside of that realm, even with Metal Gear or Silent Hill, and some just lend themselves better to smaller style affairs anyway.

I'd be down for another top down style MGS, it doesn't need to be open world again. Just start off with smaller projects and build up to it rather than rush in with larger scale games, that's the best approach Konami could take if they're serious about getting back into console development full time.

KOMANI

KOMANI
That's true, I was surprised to see a lot of familiar names in the credits for Metal Gear Survive, I'd assumed they'd all left with Kojima, but a fair few still remain. I'm fine with Konami not really doing any AAA stuff, I think there's a lot they could do with their franchises outside of that realm, even with Metal Gear or Silent Hill, and some just lend themselves better to smaller style affairs anyway.

I'd be down for another top down style MGS, it doesn't need to be open world again. Just start off with smaller projects and build up to it rather than rush in with larger scale games, that's the best approach Konami could take if they're serious about getting back into console development full time.
There are 2/3 (estimate) of the old KojiPro guys that are still at Konami. But I meant guys like Hiroyuki Owaku, Nobuya Nakazato, & Masahiro Ito and Norihiko Hibino still have a good relationship with Konami. I believe they will stick with AA games for a while since there’s less risk and more reward in doing so.
Metal Gear fortunately or unfortunately, depending on your view, is stuck being a AAA franchise at this point. Ac!d2 didn’t sell well and neither did Survive (although it did beat Monster Hunter in the Japanese charts for 2 weeks). I can’t see them risking making another AA metal gear game. Same goes with Silent Hill. Both those franchises have passionate fans, and there’s an expectation that comes along with those legacies.

Edit: I don’t want to see an open world anything at this point. I’ve had open world fatigue for a few years now, and the formula has not evolved. Linear or Sandbox games are more focused and less tedious. Subjectively speaking.

Last edited:
Konami probably sees an opportunity to get its major franchises on the next gen consoles and make billions and re establish it's self. How badly i want a fox engine silent hill.

Top Bottom