• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

“smart sales” or unique targeted discounts - yay, nay, illegal?

This may be illegal to do, but i was wondering about the concept of “smart sales”. Essentially giving everyone curated independant sales based on an algorythmic mix of factors. Ie. Games on wishlist, duration of games on wishlist, genres played, time played in the last yr. etc. you get the gist.

And i dont necessarily mean just the games offered in the sale i mean more like the price.

So for example. If im an avid mario game player... maybe the discounts im offered are a little worse (or better) then someone who isnt

Anyways lots of ways you can look at this. Im not sure which side i lean yet, but my hot take is that its good but could annoy people?

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Not illegal.

Targeted ads have been around forever. It's just that email and the internet make it easier as companies don't have to call you or mail you a promo.

Discriminatory pricing is almost impossible to curb because even things that are blatant like student and senior discounts are in plain view and a-ok with the government.

And something like haggling over prices of a car or stereo leads to different prices to different customers. And that's ok too.

Some people are annoyed, but that's typically people who aren't customers to begin with. You start getting the deals when you're a customer. As for deals specifically for non-customers (like a 6 month cell phone plan teaser rate), I guess longtime customers get the shaft, but then again they probably got a good introductory rate anyway so it's a wash.

Last edited:
Top Bottom