• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

10 Videogames that killed their developers!

Thief: The Dark Project/Gold, Thief 2: The Metal Age - Looking Glass Studios
Thief (3): Deadly Shadows - Ion Storm

Still waiting for proper Thief game, since 2014 Thief was a flop. Eidos-Montréal still exists thou.

ButchCat

As much as it pains me to say, United Front Games.

From the incredible Sleeping Dogs, they went on to do nothing but ports and the shitty Disney Infinity 3.0 that ended them.

I wish we were in the timeline that saw the release of a Sleeping Dogs sequel.
I forgot how they randomly decided to put Emma Stone in it :messenger_grinning_squinting: but yes it's a shame they threw it all away.

Sophist

Minecraft almost killed Notch. Literally. He was working >15 hours per day, he went insane and into a severe burnout. He hasn't recovered yet and probably never will.

I forgot how they randomly decided to put Emma Stone in it :messenger_grinning_squinting: but yes it's a shame they threw it all away.

I wouldn't phrase it like that.

More like, it's a shame that SE didn't believe enough in the franchise to let them do at least one sequel. The first game somehow disappointed their expectations but ended up having freaking crazy legs, especially on PC.

I'm pretty confident the exec at the publisher are looking back in hindsight and regretting not giving SD2 a shot. Game would have done 10m easy.

Minecraft almost killed Notch. Literally. He was working >15 hours per day, he went insane and into a severe burnout. He hasn't recovered yet and probably never will.
Animated GIF

Zannegan

Ready At Dawn, the devs who made The Order 1886, didn't close.

They went on to make a bunch of successful VR games and then got bought by Occulus/Facebook.
A fate worse than death! =P

Seriously though, it is sad not to have them in the AAA space anymore. Even if The Order was an extremely mixed bag, RAD had more to do before being sidelined as a cog Facebook's content machine.

ZoukGalaxy

I must say it: I HATE the video format for info, news, top things (and much more): too much time wasted for nothing watching content filler, even worst when it's a TOP XX of xxxx.

I can read a whole article before the end of a sponsor shitty ad.

I wish they were at least a list in first post.

Last edited:
Here is an op on the cutscenes in TTS:

They were written and directed by Ryuhei Kitamura, of Versus fame, whom Kojima really liked. Koji even approved the cutscenes personally. I do like most of the new cutscenes tbh, but the game has tons of flaws not in the original, like the worse music, voice acting and the new MGS2 gameplay features ruining the challenge of the old level/AI design.
All of this is true. I'll say, I was actually excited to see the new cutscenes as I had actually seen Versus before TTS came out and was surprised to see that. The cutscenes were INSANELY over the top, in a game where it's over the top to begin with. It didn't bug me one bit, it wasn't bad, it was just different. I thought it was fine. I also didn't mind that the MGS2 features made the game a bit easier as I had played MGS to death by that point and new gameplay mechanics was a welcome addition to me. That said, you didn't really need to use the MGS2 aiming mechanics either so it's as challenging as you want it to be.

I liked both games and thought the graphical improvements were fantastic. That said, I don't bemoan anyone feeling different because some people are very resistant to any kind of changes and it was apparent then and even more so now that it wasn't gonna please everyone.

-------------------------------------

Silicon Knights shot themselves in the foot and deserve all the criticisms the studio received. Any old Gaf will remember Silicon Knights infamous Studio Lead's Too Human : Stand and be counted Neogaf thread. Shame that so many talented artists and engineers had to lose their jobs because of that jackass, but hopefully they moved on to bigger and better things.

Dawn of War 3 not only killed its developers, but probably the series as well.

What a shame too, Dawn of War 2 still to this day is a great game, a really good co-op game if one has a bud to go through it. Dawn of War 3 should have done better than it did IMO, but it didn't have that same magic that the second one had.

Thief: The Dark Project/Gold, Thief 2: The Metal Age - Looking Glass Studios
Thief (3): Deadly Shadows - Ion Storm

Still waiting for proper Thief game, since 2014 Thief was a flop. Eidos-Montréal still exists thou.

What a bummer too. I wasn't in to PC gaming when Thief 1 and 2 were out only coming to them long after Looking Glass has closed, which I'm glad happened that way as I would have been very disappointed otherwise. Immersive Sim is my favorite under represented genre and to see the pioneers die like that after releasing some amazing games is sad. Glad that Arkane has picked up the torch, but it makes me thinkg what if.. had the studio sold more.

Last edited:

Used-ID

The last guardian certainly did a number ....

Is he working on another game or did it make him too toxic to touch?

Kuranghi

I also didn't mind that the MGS2 features made the game a bit easier as I had played MGS to death by that point and new gameplay mechanics was a welcome addition to me. That said, you didn't really need to use the MGS2 aiming mechanics either so it's as challenging as you want it to be.

I actually forgot about the aiming, I didn't mean that, I meant being able to vault over railings and hang/shimmy along the edge. That made Nuclear warhead Storage Building Floor 1 a bit too easy, although tbh it was kind of annoying in the original and also I had played MGS to death so things like ledge hanging and hot/cold pipes made replaying much less annoying. Those Hot/Cold pipes rule actually, totally takes the chore out of it when you've ran back and forth a million times before.

Bragr

Banned
I’d say CP2077 pretty much killed all of CDPRs goodwill and respect amongst gamers. It may not have killed them as a developer but their fall from grace has been a really hard fall. If the next Witcher game isn’t top notch at launch they are done as a developer.
? Cyberpunk was very successful and will sell fine for years to come. The Witcher 4 will be gigantic.

Krathoon

I will have to find where I put that kinect Fable game. I wonder if I can still get that Double Fine one. I need to gather all my Kinect games.

It's free on Xbox!

I tried doing matchmaking but no need to tell no game could be found lol.
Wife and I completed it a couple weeks ago over XBL, first time I’d replayed it since it came out. Still really enjoyable even though the co-op experience doesn’t include any story, just straight up levels.

I really wish the trilogy had been completed 😔

Last edited:

Ceadeus

Gold Member
Wife and I completed it a couple weeks ago over XBL, first time I’d replayed it since it came out. Still really enjoyable even though the co-op experience doesn’t include any story, just straight up levels.

I really wish the trilogy had been completed 😔
Ah ok, I thought the multiplayer featured the full experience but yeah, I can understand the limitation at the time. That's funny though that between all the coop game, you chose to play Too Human lol. It's cool.

Top Bottom