• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

14.1M of all PlayStation Plus subscribers are on Extra and Premium tiers as of March 2023. 6.1M on Extra, 8M on Premium

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
But that chart says theyll be releasing the same amount of games on PC as PS5 in FY 2025

hmmm-thinking.gif
Oh...so you think new games are developed in 2-3 years on average?

Interesting.

Dont forget the live service push Sony is doing.... ;)

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
more on premium? not sure to be happy or sad here.

like why? LOL

yurinka

Wasn’t Jimbo just saying they were pumping the brakes on PC ports?
No, he never said that. The opposite, the said he wanted to grow in PC, mobile, mobile and console. And that console will continue being their main focus.

This means Jim Ryan is correct about PS games releasing 1-2 years on PC after PS5 release.
Jim Ryan didn't said 1-2 years, said that he found that fans like the 2-3 years delay.

If 2 or more PS5 games released in 2024.
"Two or more MAJOR releases per year" isn't "2 or more PS5 games in 2024"
image.png

But that chart says theyll be releasing the same amount of games on PC as PS5 in FY 2025
Most of the PC releases will be ports of multiple years old games with exceptions of day one releases being the Bungie games and "potentially" "maybe" "some case" of the future PS Studios GaaS.

The number of games released (day one on PS5) will keep increasing in the future (notice this graph is investment, not releases):
image.png

Last edited:
If 2 or more PS5 games released in 2024.
In 2025 those same games will be releasing on PC.
This means Jim Ryan is correct about PS games releasing 1-2 years on PC after PS5 release.

Well, technically Jim said 2-3 years so those 2024 PS5 games wouldn't be showing up on PC until at least 2026, and it'd depend on specific games.

But I guess for the GaaS titles, 2 or even 1 year max would be the goal, if Day 1 isn't possible. Honestly I still think Sony'd be better off just using PC for the GaaS titles, use mobile for smaller games leveraging legacy IP & new IP (and maybe some of the less-demanding GaaS titles), and PS consoles as the hub both of those types of games plus the marquee single-player stuff.

They can cater to each platform's strengths and provide synergy to the console without potentially sabotaging the perceived value and prestige of the console itself, but I still kind of worry the PC strategy may eventually lead to that. At the very least if they still want to bring the non-GaaS titles to PC, at least wait until new installments on console are 1 year out from release before porting over the previous release. That'd probably be a good 3-4 years, maybe a bit more depending on the specific game.

Of course all of this changes if they pivot the PC strategy to their own PC storefront, but I don't think they'll do that unless they can make a basic/free storefront version that is ad-supported, and offer perks (likely tying back over to the console side as well) for subscription tiers to the storefront. They'd have to monetize it in some way outside of simply relying on B2P software sales and MTX IAPs, basically, because they may have to account for a revenue drop in people who may not buy a console for the software access.

But with ad-supported & paid subscription PC storefront tiers, you can essentially cover revenue losses on hardware sales decreases. This is all stuff Microsoft should've considered actually doing before they jumped into Day 1 PC for their games, but gaming revenue is a pittance for them compared to their total revenue so I guess it was never a concern. That isn't the case with Sony; gaming revenue is their single-biggest revenue pillar, and that's obviously dominated by the console.

ReBurn

Gold Member
I love the Extra sub. They need to fix that weirdness where buying games is wonky after you play them via Extra.

Solidus_T

Interesting. I would guess that Extra would have the bulk of subscribers since it's just a better deal in my opinion, but legacy games have a large draw I suppose

ReBurn

Gold Member
Interesting. I would guess that Extra would have the bulk of subscribers since it's just a better deal in my opinion, but legacy games have a large draw I suppose
A lot of folks don't sweat the $20 per year difference and the way they prorate the upgrade makes it feel super inexpensive if you want to upgrade before your subscription renews.

sachos

They could be doing sooo much more with the Premium service though... starting with improving those emulators, you can do sooo much more with PPSSPP, DuckStation and PCSX2 on PC, i expect an official emulator to offer similar features like actual 4K Rendering, fixing polygon wobble on PS1, advanced texture filtering, good CRT filters, etc...

DryvBy

I'm on Premium too, its not much more expensive compare to Extra, with a tiny bit more cost I get a broader selection of games.

There was a PS1 game I wanted for $10 and then my upgrade path was $12 for the rest of my service so I just paid it. Now I can play Ridge Racer for 5 minutes and delete it lol

Crayon

There was a PS1 game I wanted for $10 and then my upgrade path was $12 for the rest of my service so I just paid it. Now I can play Ridge Racer for 5 minutes and delete it lol

Ah the wonder world of subs. A mountain of shot I don't want with a sprinkle of shit I don't need all for one low price.

unclbenn

god damnit, i forgot to cancel my extra sub and now im in for another year. hopefully this years offerings are stellar.

20cent

Banned
I was on PS+ for maybe 10 years as the free PS Vita games offers were decent until it lasted.
And then kept the sub on as it was dirt cheap where I live...then they introduced the 3 different tiers and I realized I haven't touched a single game I've had for free on PS4/5. Cancelled it since last december, I can't tell the difference in my use case.

If I haven't bought a game released 3 years ago, little chance that I want to play it now, I don't see the point of the PS+, sorry.

But really happy for you if you do.

I'd be curious to know the Premium numbers after people's initial year or whatever of PS Now expires. I know as of right now when mine does in September I'm not renewing to Premium if it doesn't drastically improve.

Bumblebeetuna

Gold Member
I got a year of premium when I got my PS5 earlier this year. I wanted access to the better game offerings, plus the PS1/2 games.

However, if they don’t vastly improve those by next year, I’ll drop to one of the two lower tiers. The PS1 games available are kind of a joke imho.

X-Wing

I have premium and I'm happy. And even though I don't have time to play anything my FOMO will make me sign up again for one year very soon.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
I think alot of folks had PS Plus stacked for years and just paid the $150 premium upgrade the rest of there subscription.

Edit: also there was a loophole that if you bought PSNow for cheap you would be automatically upgrade to premium when it came out.
It wasn't a loophole.

PS+ was $60 p/y. PS Now was $60 p/y. If you had both, you'd get PS+ Premium ($120 p/y).

K' Dash

Lol, what a goon.

It's illegal to lie on financial disclosures. And there is nothing ambiguous about these hard, factual subs numbers.

You just don't like that PS+ is successful. Which is kinda sad and hilarious at the same time.

I’m actually talking about Premium being more popular than Extra, you simple minded little man.

Stop gargling on Jimbos balls before posting.

nowhat

more on premium? not sure to be happy or sad here.

like why? LOL
In my case, forgetting to cancel Premium in time. Oh well, I'll have it until next March.

On the "upside", I got to play the "remastered" version of Vice City, so there's that.

Those are very very interesting numbers given Sony aren’t launching their 1st party games into the service anywhere near launch. Far higher than I thought they’d be, especially for premium.

They all go through PSN too as do all the Microtransactions. GamePass (I think) has had much of its growth on PC. I don’t known but do Xbox get 30% of every MTX that way too, or can gamers buy the PC content anywhere and apply it to their GamePass copy?

mckmas8808

Mckmaster uses MasterCard to buy Slave drives
Those are very very interesting numbers given Sony aren’t launching their 1st party games into the service anywhere near launch. Far higher than I thought they’d be, especially for premium.

They all go through PSN too as do all the Microtransactions. GamePass (I think) has had much of its growth on PC. I don’t known but do Xbox get 30% of every MTX that way too, or can gamers buy the PC content anywhere and apply it to their GamePass copy?

This is a good question.

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Better numbers than I thought. In less than 12 months no less and 0 day-one first-party games.

Last edited:

Neilg

lol and I just let my ps+ completely lapse.

I don't know how you can sub to this and be the kind of person who actually finishes games instead of hopping between new ones endlessly.

This is a good question.
There have been rumours of a PlayStation launcher for PC for a while now and I expect that to give access to PS+ premium through a PC sub, but only going through that launcher and the PS Store for things like cross buy and DLC.

Given they’ll have:

Day’s Gone
Horizon Zero Dawn
God of War 2018
Spider-Man
Miles Morales
Returnal
Sackboy
The last of us part 1
Uncharted Legacy of thieves
HellDivers
Destiny 2
Predator Hunting grounds

And will likely have:

Horizon Forbidden West
God of War Ragnarok
Ratchet and Clank: Rift Apart
Helldivers 2
Twisted Metal
The Last of Us Online
Horizon online
The Horizon MMO

And others, they could well see a huge growth in the PC business and keep increasing amounts of the DLC and MTX money for themselves.

One easy win I see Sony making is having PS+ premium exclusive skins, content and rewards for their GAAS games to drive people towards that service. Those games will be on PC, they’ll pick up gamers who want to stream the PS3 games and have access to the PS1, PS2 and PS3 games and build syngery. Add in the wild card of mobile gaming and its a pretty formidable expansion once Sony roll it out.

Last edited:

truth411

It wasn't a loophole.

PS+ was $60 p/y. PS Now was $60 p/y. If you had both, you'd get PS+ Premium ($120 p/y).
If I remember correctly PSNow was always on sale, virtually no one paid $60 a year, also if someone bought a year of PS Now and had 5 years of PS Plus. Sony upgraded you to premium for the entire 5 years lol, that was a loophole that I wished I took advantage of before they shut it down. 🤣

Dick Jones

Gold Member
It wasn't a loophole.

There kind of was. If you had PS+ for say 5 years prepaid and you had an active PS Now subscription when the changeover happened, they converted them to Premium until the end of the 5 years.

Edit: I Didn't see the literal post above mine until after I posted. Apologies T truth411

Last edited:

Heisenberg007

Gold Journalism
Would have been cool to have 5+ years of PS+ then 😄 I only had 1 year of PS+ and PS Now, which got bumped into PS+ Premium, then I later bought 1 more year of Premium.

But I guess I represented the majority of people in this case. A very small number would have multiple years of PS+ stacked.

Kupfer

When I bought my XBOX 360 from an acquaintance back then, I got a case with about 25 games in it. I was as happy as anything, so many games in one fell swoop - until I realized that I tried everything, but couldn't dive into any of the games, because I was already thinking about the next game.
At that time I realized for myself that it doesn't take many games to have fun, but good ones. I got stuck on GTA IV and that was ultimately the first Xbox 360 game from that pile that completely picked me up and blew me away.

Fuck extra and premium, I can do without an overabundance of games that I won't play anyway. Add to that the fact that I like owning games, having something tangible. Just having a license to use for as long as the operator wants is not satisfying.

Well, everyone as he wants. I prefer to buy my 5 games a year at full price, which I can put in my closet for collection, than to have access to 1000 games that are then not played.

Premium might be the worse tier compared to Extra, but it still is worth the money asked for it. Streaming, and some remasters are worth it for me. Some people cry about lacking PS1 and PS2 games, but those are mostly crap nowadays anyway imho, so no problem for me that there are rather few. If those numbers stay that way, and seemingly increase in both tiers, Sony will probably see no reason why they should listen to the nay-sayers bitching about premium being utter shite when the money says otherwise. PS Now never really got off the ground, Premium outperforms it while essentially not offering anything different.

Last edited:

skit_data

Surprised to see more subscribers on the premium tier and a little surprised to see so many subscribers overall on the higher tiers

Crayon

I'm not surprised it's taking off, mostly because of the price. We're already paying 60 with a gun to our heads (lol/cry) and the 40 more gets you a lot as long as a sub suits you in the first place.

Three

I have premium because of the stacked upgrade path but really I kind of enjoy being able to stream a game to check it out instantly then download it if it's something I enjoy. The classics are only a bonus. That's why I don't think I'll go to a lower tier and will stick with premium when mine expires in 2025.

Last edited:

Pasta la Vista

Gold Member
Bought a year of Extra when I got my PS5 in Like October of last year. I think it's a good deal but honestly I havent finished a single game from the service. I will likely go back to the standard PS Plus by the time I need to renew. Any games I really want to play I usually buy anyway.

Top Bottom