• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

15 SCARY Zombie Games of 2021 And Beyond

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Zombies are a mainstay in pop culture and mainstream entertainment media, and that, of course, includes video games as well.

In 2021 and the months and years beyond, there are a number of zombie games coming out that have been officially unveiled by their developers and publishers. Here, we're going to talk about a few such games.

Majmun

I love games with zombies in them, but most of the games shown there look really bad.

I'm only interested in:

- Dying Light 2 - Who even knows when this is coming out?
- Deal Island 2 - Is this still even in development?
- RE8 - I wouldn't really call this a zombie game anymore. RE7 wasn't.

SO yeah, many games shown, but the only decent ones are still in development hell or aren't even zombie games....

MiguelItUp

Yeah, Back4Blood and Resident Evil 8 have my attention. Dying Light 2 a bit as well, just concerned about its development a tad.

Back 4 Blood is by far my most anticipated as the Left 4 Dead crew is essentially making L4D3 in all but name. L4D1/2 remain my best co-op experiences to this day. Nothing since has quite captured that multilayer PVE magic for me.

Aside from this, it'll be interesting to see what happens with Dying Light 2. If MS buys Techland and secures DL2 as an exclusive that'll be a pretty big deal. I'd prefer it is not exclusive or at worst a timed exclusive so all gamers can play it. The first game is awesome and I expect great things from the sequel.

RE8 is of course going to be one hell of an experience. It'd be awesome if Sony utilized this title as a way to promote PSVR2 but I don't think that's happening. Do we have confirmation it'll be PSVR capable like RE7? I'll be picking it up for XSX for sure but if it's also on PSVR I'll be double-dipping.

Need to watch all the way thru the video to see others but those are the ones that immediately come to mind....

SJRB

Gold Member
Even the trend itself is a zombie at this point, shambling around aimlessly not able to die.

Last edited:
Even the trend itself is a zombie at this point, shambling around aimlessly not able to die.

I hear this a lot but still personally enjoy "zombie games". SP games (or even MP PVE games) that are well done these days are few and far between, but the ones that are good still seem to sell well. There seems to be an enduring appeal to this sub-genre across pop culture. I guess people who don't like it or who are tired of it can just...well...not play those games. 🤷‍♂️

bender

What time is it?
Beyond Resident Evil there isn't much there I'm excited about. I'd be more excited about Back 4 Blood if it weren't for Evolve and the fact that there is a $100 version of the game to pre-order.

xrnzaaas

They are stretching by including games like Dead Island 2. It's still vaporware until the third dev shows some actual footage (if that even happens).

I would say I was hyped for back 4 blood but the beta was such a mess and then me and my friends went back and played l4d2 and gulf in class was immeasurable. They need to do a lot of work on optimisation and all the specials need a rework. So much less fun.

I would say I was hyped for back 4 blood but the beta was such a mess and then me and my friends went back and played l4d2 and gulf in class was immeasurable. They need to do a lot of work on optimisation and all the specials need a rework. So much less fun.

This definitely doesn't sound good. On the flip side, that's what betas are for...look at the performance and feedback and hopefully rework n tweak things until they are dialed in and as fun as possible.

They have big shoes to fill with the L4D series occupying a special place in so many gamers zombified brains. I have faith in this crew but if what you say is true it sounds like they have some work to do (on a side note, the last beta I took part in that I really looked forward to was Titanfall 2...that beta shit the bed hard, but the final game was great despite changing up a lot of things that turned off many of the TF1 faithful like myself...over time I adjusted and the devs continued to tweak it until it was a great experience. So poor betas aren't necessarily a death knell...)

Last edited:
This definitely doesn't sound good. On the flip side, that's what betas are for...look at the performance and feedback and hopefully rework n tweak things until they are dialed in and as fun as possible.

The optimisation I can totally get. What I really struggled to get my head around was how the special infected had been designed. In L4D each special has unique traits that adds to the chaos and drama, pulling the team apart with different mechanics. Here one sort of glued you to the ground, the rest just didn't do much apart from kind of alert hordes and give you a whack.

Also having to pay for the game and on top of that charging a season pass for actual new content (new map and new special infected) is a fucking wild practice for 2021 (and yes if you want all that it will set you back a whopping £90).

Top Bottom