• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1999 E3 - Playstation

Honey Bunny

I remember the online coverage from that E3 really well. A friend of mine helped run a SEGA fan website and got a lot of the press screenshots and stuff from games, in 1998 ,1999 and 2000..... God damn. I feel super old.
This must have gone down like a lead balloon at a Sega fansite lol. Or did the two fanbases not hate eachother then?

Last edited:
This must have gone done like a lead balloon at a Sega fansite lol. Or did the two fanbases not hate eachother then?

They hated each other but these videos and shit werent posted online in the 90s generally it was just news, info and screenshots for the most
part and a sega site would have been focusing on DC, but the sites didnt work like they do now, it was more like a news feed with new articles and links and text updates posted
I mean, most sites were like stomped or VOODOO extreme or 3dfiles and stuff like that.

Azelover

Titanic was called the Ship of Dreams, and it was. It really was.
The PS1 peaked in 98 to me.

By 1999 the system was getting quite old. But they sure had a lot of hits.

Sweet the PS5 reveal just got leaked.

Wait a minute.....

giphy.gif

I really loved the PlayStation so many good games. It was the console that introduced me to the Final Fantasy franchise.

Aggelos

Oh my god, Dino Crisis (E3 1999).... I'm dying man...

And in E3 2000 , MGS2 just dominates everything over the PlayStation "realm/dominion"
(of course Dino Crisis 2 and Parasite Eve 2 are in the mix)

Last edited:

Fatez

lol i was there. Sony gave us an small notebook with steel cover, not sure if it was on 99 or 00 but i rememer that :D. Cut a finger with it also :/

Hudo

total nostalgia talking here but i really miss gaming in the 90s and early 2000’s.
It was objectively better. You bought the game in a box, it came with a manual. And that was that. No fucking 50gb day-one patches, no fucking DLCs or microtransaction shit, no fucking SJW shit in the games to pander to a vocal minority that never buys the games anyway, and no fucking accounts you need to sign up for in order to play the game. And you could lend it to a friend or resell it. Games were better when they were not seen as a service.

Skyr

Ah 1999 the good old times. It reminds me so much at looking at all those awesome games and consoles and not being able to buy them because we were piss poor.

tenor.gif

No matter which year is posted there's classics. And people wonder why PlayStation has such loyal fans, they've been at the top of their game for over 25 years.

Yeah but at least regards PS1 and even PS2 most of the fondly remembered games were 3rd-party. Like with PS1, you will very rarely get one of Sony's 1st-party games mentioned alongside: Resident Evil (1, 2, 3), Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: SOTN, FF Tactics, FF IX, Xenogears, Dino Crisis, Tekken 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, Legacy of Kain, etc. I think the most popular of Sony's 1st party then would be Gran Turismo and Crash Bandicoot. At least in terms of Crash tho, if I'm gonna be honest I think the Tomba games are better and those were technically 3rd-party by Whoopee Cough (but published by Sony). And I prefer some of the less-renowned games like UmJammer Lammy over Parappa.

PS2? Again most of the big hits are the 3rd-party games. FF X, MGS2, Silent Hill 2 and 3, RE4, Tekken 4 and 5, VF4 EVO, Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga, Dragon Quest VIII, Rogue Galaxy, GTA (III, VC, SA), DMC (1 and 3, not so much 2), MGS 3 etc. The Sony games that are usually mentioned in similar breadth are GT3, GT4, ad the first two God of War games. And maybe Jak & Daxter. A lot of the rest of their 1st party that gen was either "good" but not necessarily noteworthy above/among 3rd-party efforts of the day (Mark of Kri, Mr.Mosquito, Dark Cloud), were good but generally aren't associated with defining the system (The Getaway, Killzone), or were mostly mediocre when set aside comparative 3rd-party games.

It's when the PS3 kicked into the latter half of its lifespan when Sony 1st-party started really defining and leading the way in terms of what would widely be considered the system-defining software. That was fully realized with Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us (and arguably Uncharted 2). Their 1st party output overall on PS3 was a lot more consistent than it was with PS2. And that continued of course with PS4 even if it took a couple of years before the first "wow" 1st party game (Bloodborn) hit, with the pace continuing from 2016 onward.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
It was objectively better. You bought the game in a box, it came with a manual. And that was that. No fucking 50gb day-one patches, no fucking DLCs or microtransaction shit, no fucking SJW shit in the games to pander to a vocal minority that never buys the games anyway, and no fucking accounts you need to sign up for in order to play the game. And you could lend it to a friend or resell it. Games were better when they were not seen as a service.

Games are objectively better now than they were 20 years ago, believing anything else is just silly.

Subjectively they might not be better for you though, and that's fine.

I remember going on games sites after the event was over, and also getting EGMs/PSMs/Gamepros and thinking to myself man...I wanna be a games journalist and do this cool shit lol

Ended up becoming a Software Developer in a diff industry, but you guys + a few other sites do a great job of keeping our ears to whats happening in the games industry

Yoboman

Yeah but at least regards PS1 and even PS2 most of the fondly remembered games were 3rd-party. Like with PS1, you will very rarely get one of Sony's 1st-party games mentioned alongside: Resident Evil (1, 2, 3), Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: SOTN, FF Tactics, FF IX, Xenogears, Dino Crisis, Tekken 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, Legacy of Kain, etc. I think the most popular of Sony's 1st party then would be Gran Turismo and Crash Bandicoot. At least in terms of Crash tho, if I'm gonna be honest I think the Tomba games are better and those were technically 3rd-party by Whoopee Cough (but published by Sony). And I prefer some of the less-renowned games like UmJammer Lammy over Parappa.

PS2? Again most of the big hits are the 3rd-party games. FF X, MGS2, Silent Hill 2 and 3, RE4, Tekken 4 and 5, VF4 EVO, Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga, Dragon Quest VIII, Rogue Galaxy, GTA (III, VC, SA), DMC (1 and 3, not so much 2), MGS 3 etc. The Sony games that are usually mentioned in similar breadth are GT3, GT4, ad the first two God of War games. And maybe Jak & Daxter. A lot of the rest of their 1st party that gen was either "good" but not necessarily noteworthy above/among 3rd-party efforts of the day (Mark of Kri, Mr.Mosquito, Dark Cloud), were good but generally aren't associated with defining the system (The Getaway, Killzone), or were mostly mediocre when set aside comparative 3rd-party games.

It's when the PS3 kicked into the latter half of its lifespan when Sony 1st-party started really defining and leading the way in terms of what would widely be considered the system-defining software. That was fully realized with Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us (and arguably Uncharted 2). Their 1st party output overall on PS3 was a lot more consistent than it was with PS2. And that continued of course with PS4 even if it took a couple of years before the first "wow" 1st party game (Bloodborn) hit, with the pace continuing from 2016 onward.
You've left off Ratchet and Clank, SOCOM, Twisted Metal Black plus ICO and Shadow of the Colossus for PS2 - two games I believe were vital in establishing the identity for Playstation first party moving forward

Sony hadn't yet landed that single system seller game - though God of War was close. But their actual output on PS2 was great wheb you break it down

Bolivar687

Banned

One thing that all those games have in common is that almost every last one of them was made in Japan. When the Japanese third party powerhouse studios waned, first party had to step up to fill the gap. You really have to give credit to Sony's first parties for picking up the slack during the PS3. In large part it put them in the position to capitalize with PS4.

You've left off Ratchet and Clank, SOCOM, Twisted Metal Black plus ICO and Shadow of the Colossus for PS2 - two games I believe were vital in establishing the identity for Playstation first party moving forward

Sony hadn't yet landed that single system seller game - though God of War was close. But their actual output on PS2 was great wheb you break it down

I dunno how much games like Twisted Metal Black and SOCOM actually contributed to putting their 1st party up with the leading 3rd party stuff in defining their systems at the time. Might be willing to give it to ICO and Shadow of the Colossus though...granted I think in terms of atmospheric theme both of those games take inspiration from Panzer Dragoon Saga imho.

Agreed though that overall their PS2 output was very solid overall, aside from some disappointments like Parappa 2 which were a big step back from UmJammer Lammy imo.

Games are objectively better now than they were 20 years ago, believing anything else is just silly.

Subjectively they might not be better for you though, and that's fine.

Well certain genres weren't even a thing 20 years ago, so that isn't very fair to say. Rather than using "objectively" I think better terms would be 'technologically' and 'artistically'. Technologically yes most games today are better than games 20 years ago, since they're on more powerful systems that better simulate certain physics, allow for more advanced AI, and other innovations on top of that.

Artistically though it's a very different ballgame. I think the peak of shmups, for example, was the mid-to-late '90s, and for some people they'd say the same for fighting games. Some people may say JRPGs peaked with PS2, for example.

Last edited:

Yoboman

I dunno how much games like Twisted Metal Black and SOCOM actually contributed to putting their 1st party up with the leading 3rd party stuff in defining their systems at the time. Might be willing to give it to ICO and Shadow of the Colossus though...granted I think in terms of atmospheric theme both of those games take inspiration from Panzer Dragoon Saga imho.

Agreed though that overall their PS2 output was very solid overall, aside from some disappointments like Parappa 2 which were a big step back from UmJammer Lammy imo.

Well certain genres weren't even a thing 20 years ago, so that isn't very fair to say. Rather than using "objectively" I think better terms would be 'technologically' and 'artistically'. Technologically yes most games today are better than games 20 years ago, since they're on more powerful systems that better simulate certain physics, allow for more advanced AI, and other innovations on top of that.

Artistically though it's a very different ballgame. I think the peak of shmups, for example, was the mid-to-late '90s, and for some people they'd say the same for fighting games. Some people may say JRPGs peaked with PS2, for example.
Twosted Metal Black is a 90 plus Metacritic game so from a critical standpoint its definitely important, it also set the stage for Jaffe to create his new IP, God of War.

SOCOM was important as a precursor to online. It was basically the single system seller for the online device for PS2.

Top Bottom