• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

1999 E3 - Playstation

You also got to take into consideration that Twisted Metal Black was so dark and gritty, in some places even controversial and it achieved fame and success without being targeted at kids. And it came out after 2 shitty TM titles (3 and 4) so this was not expected to be good because the franchise already felt milked and without new ideas.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member
I dunno how much games like Twisted Metal Black and SOCOM actually contributed to putting their 1st party up with the leading 3rd party stuff in defining their systems at the time. Might be willing to give it to ICO and Shadow of the Colossus though...granted I think in terms of atmospheric theme both of those games take inspiration from Panzer Dragoon Saga imho.

Take it from me then, Twisted Metal Black was easily one of the biggest games in the early PS2 catalog at the time.

Actually looking at the list Sony put out more quality games on PS2 than I remembered. Even ATV Offroad Pro was really good...

AlexxKidd

Yeah but at least regards PS1 and even PS2 most of the fondly remembered games were 3rd-party. Like with PS1, you will very rarely get one of Sony's 1st-party games mentioned alongside: Resident Evil (1, 2, 3), Parasite Eve, Final Fantasy VII, Metal Gear Solid, Castlevania: SOTN, FF Tactics, FF IX, Xenogears, Dino Crisis, Tekken 3, Ridge Racer Type 4, Legacy of Kain, etc. I think the most popular of Sony's 1st party then would be Gran Turismo and Crash Bandicoot. At least in terms of Crash tho, if I'm gonna be honest I think the Tomba games are better and those were technically 3rd-party by Whoopee Cough (but published by Sony). And I prefer some of the less-renowned games like UmJammer Lammy over Parappa.

PS2? Again most of the big hits are the 3rd-party games. FF X, MGS2, Silent Hill 2 and 3, RE4, Tekken 4 and 5, VF4 EVO, Kingdom Hearts, Xenosaga, Dragon Quest VIII, Rogue Galaxy, GTA (III, VC, SA), DMC (1 and 3, not so much 2), MGS 3 etc. The Sony games that are usually mentioned in similar breadth are GT3, GT4, ad the first two God of War games. And maybe Jak & Daxter. A lot of the rest of their 1st party that gen was either "good" but not necessarily noteworthy above/among 3rd-party efforts of the day (Mark of Kri, Mr.Mosquito, Dark Cloud), were good but generally aren't associated with defining the system (The Getaway, Killzone), or were mostly mediocre when set aside comparative 3rd-party games.

It's when the PS3 kicked into the latter half of its lifespan when Sony 1st-party started really defining and leading the way in terms of what would widely be considered the system-defining software. That was fully realized with Uncharted 3 and The Last of Us (and arguably Uncharted 2). Their 1st party output overall on PS3 was a lot more consistent than it was with PS2. And that continued of course with PS4 even if it took a couple of years before the first "wow" 1st party game (Bloodborn) hit, with the pace continuing from 2016 onward.

I don't care what nobody say, I put Twisted Metal 2 and Ape Escape next to all that.

D

Deleted member 17706

Unconfirmed Member
The good old days, man. I loved getting those PlayStation Underground discs.

SkylineRKR

Playstation was showing its age and PS2 would come out in 2000 but Sony didn't abandon it.

Ape Escape, Omega Boost, Driver, RE3, Dino Crisis, RR Type 4, Ace Combat 3, FFVIII, CTR, Tony Hawk, Legacy of Kain. It was a very strong year. Cycles were shorter, it was its 4th or 5 year already. One thing Sony always does well, support of their current system even when the successor is just around the corner. 2000 was a very good year for PS1 as well, but that was really its end (my last game was FFIX, though even 2001 saw some PS1 games still).

Last edited:
Top Bottom