• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2 Weeks Before Pete Rose Put on Phillies Wall of Fame, Accused of Statutory Rape

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/morning-mix/wp/2017/08/01/woman-says-she-had-sexual-relationship-with-pete-rose-as-an-underage-teen/?utm_term=.4534faf8d2c8

A woman says she had a sexual relationship with baseball legend Pete Rose that began in 1973 when she was 14 or 15 years old and continued for several years, according to federal court documents filed Monday.

In response, Rose acknowledged that he had sex with the woman, who was not identified, but said he believed she was 16 at the time, old enough to legally consent in Ohio.

The woman said her relationship with Rose started with a phone call from the baseball player in 1973 when she was ”14 or 15 years old."

”Sometime after that, Pete Rose and I began meeting at a house in Cincinnati," the woman said. ”It was at that house where, before my sixteenth birthday, Pete Rose began a sexual relationship with me."

Well as if the whole gambling debacle wasn't enough to ruin Pete Rose this story just came out right before he was about to have his name inducted onto the wall of fame used by the Phillies. Seems he's fessing up to it but saying he was under the assumption she was older than she really was. There is more in the article so check it out but a ton of people and the general public is denouncing Pete and I'm doubting his name ever goes up on the Wall of Fame, let alone anywhere else at this point.

Sanjuro

How is this statutory rape though?

EDIT: The article is a bit confusing. It doesn't seem clear the age was known, but the state lines seem to do it.

HeySeuss

How is this statutory rape though?

Age of consent varies from state to state as to what statutory rape is. Presumably in that state anything under 16 can be considered rape as someone that young can not consent.

If someone lies and says they are older than they are, doesn't give the other person an out to say they didn't know. It doesn't matter if the person was lied to, if they're under age it's rape.

Another article.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/07/31/...ad-sex-with-pete-rose-as-early-as-age-14.html

I guess I missed the allegation in 2015 that Rose used to have young girls brought to him during Spring Training. Like a buffet!

Mid-30's with kids by that point, banging teenagers on the side. Sheesh.

qekuWUk.gif

Top Bottom