• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

20 years on this forum

SantaC

Gold Member
Today mark exactly 20 years ago since i signed up for neogaf. I am sorry this isnt an offtopic forum thread but 99% of my posts has been in the video game section.

I want to thank EviLore EviLore for an excellent community. When I joined here it was in the middle of ps2/gamecube/xbox era.

Back then Nintendo was seen as teh kiddie and people hated on Celda. Halo was massive and in its prime. Final Fantasy was the most sought after jrpg. GBA was steamrolling and people were sceptical of Nintendo DS. It was said that it lacked the hardware to have a chance against the PSP.

Here's for another 20 years!

Robb

Gold Member
Congrats!

6024a490a128d16921922381227dd2b9.gif

Sirolf

Today mark exactly 20 years ago since i signed up for neogaf. I am sorry this isnt an offtopic forum thread but 99% of my posts has been in the video game section.

I want to thank EviLore EviLore for an excellent community. When I joined here it was in the middle of ps2/gamecube/xbox era.

Back then Nintendo was seen as teh kiddie and people hated on Celda. Halo was massive and in its prime. Final Fantasy was the most sought after jrpg. GBA was steamrolling and people were sceptical of Nintendo DS. It was said that it lacked the hardware to have a chance against the PSP.

Here's for another 20 years!
It was a week ago for me ...06/06/04..Ah memories !

phant0m

GBA was steamrolling and people were sceptical of Nintendo DS. It was said that it lacked the hardware to have a chance against the PSP.

Goes to show you how valuable forum opinions are :pie_invert:

DS printed money

Anywho, congrats and do you have any predictions for the next 20 years? Will GAF be pro-Xbox and hate on Sony?

wipeout364

Congratulations, you made me look at my sign up date and I am on the 13th of 2004. I think I was a member before that when the whole site crashed when it was just GAF. I am not sure though if EviLore put in the original sign up or when we signed up for NeoGAF; that was so long ago I don't remember exactly, kind of freaks me out thinking about it. There has been a lot of people come and go, there have been a few "crisis management" moments but generally things are as good as they have ever been on here IMO. Here's to 20 more my OG NeoGAF friends.

I would be on my 16th year, as I lurked here for years, coming over from Gamespot and other forums as people mentioned this place in 2008-2013 time period. I then sometime got an account after getting a non gmail email, man this place was a shit show with account acceptance back then. Only to then get banned by some weirdo mod for telling a joke about Microsoft, a freaking joke, as it came out they were paying many review sites at the time.
Over sensitive snowflakes, gave me a message "culling the herd.. insensitive humor " or something crazy like that.

I then watched in horror anyone who had an ounce of humor or testosterone get banned. This site was being over-run by what is now reset era. It was pre-election time 2014/2015 and man o man were people making this place an echo chamber of epic proportions. It wasn't just off topic, it was everywhere. I couldn't believe what was happening, as my lurking in the earlier years, it was nothing like that. How it went from fun gaming site humor to political/pro woke era site in 2 years was just odd. We seen it internet wide over the years to come as well, neogaf was just hit first.

It was with great releif when the era stuff happened, I was not here at the time, lurking or not, I sometimes seen clips on reddit of the craziness though. Then they left and formed reset-era. I don't know how or why that transpired, but I was glad it did. I seen a community of people form here, like it was pre 2014. Maybe not as large, but people would come.
I made an account and have been here ever since.

So yeah EviLore you have have my respect for keeping the lights on here and making it a fun place to be and discuss games, even with the bumpy times in the mid 2010s.

I love this place! :messenger_heart::messenger_beermugs::messenger_musical:

Last edited:

Sp3eD

0G M3mbeR
Mine was on June 6th. Geriatrics Unite!

Pretty sure I was heavy into Xbox Ninja Gaiden, Unreal Tournament 2k4 on PC and Zelda Wind Waker on GameCube. Good times.

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Congratulations on 20 years.. I've actually lost count how long I've been here, I get confused because I lurked for a while
Maybe 15?
wait no I've had that badge already... must be 15-18 or something like that.
Anyway here's to another 20 years 💪

Last edited:

shoplifter

Absolutely bizarre to me that I have been here (or on the OG forums) since PSO came out, nearly my entire adult life. Barring those dark times this really has been one of the best online communities one could ask for.

lachesis

Sharing same thoughts with many of you as my 20th is either passed or coming up shortly. (Been since old gaf forum) How time flies, really boggles my mind!

Wishing all of you and staff members much happiness and health. :)

Celine

Twenty years ago:
random forum users were shouting: "Nintendo is going third-party any time now".

Today:
Microsoft and Sony publish games for Nintendo consoles and Nintendo have kept its console games exclusive to their own hardware.

Last edited:
Yep, time flies. But it's a great forum and while perhaps not as pre eminent as it once was in terms of information, I still use it as my primary source for a lot of information I end upon.

Great forum. 👍

Interfectum

I've been here to whole time. I remember I failed a major test in college because I was too busy arguing on here (pre-NeoGAF) over stupid shit and I missed my class. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Last edited:

Poordevil

I just got my notification of being on this board for 5 years this morning! I do more reading than contributing, but I do appreciate being part of the community. You guys are the only gamers I know. There is no one in my daily life that games or that knows anything about gaming.

GymWolf

Gold Member
Congratulations.

I just got my 5 years service message a couple of days agi so i'm right there with you.

Meowtor

Gold Member
congrats on the milestone, im about 14-15 years in on this account but i lurked before for many years due to needing a hard email address to get an approved account back in the day.

Heres to another 20 duder!

Top Bottom