• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2001: Max Payne or Metal Gear Solid 2?

Max Payne or Metal Gear Solid 2 (original)?

• Total voters

TGO

Hype Train conductor. Works harder than it steams.
Max Payne was awesome game in 2001
MGS2 was a masterclass.
But only one is still playable today and has aged well.

Little Mac

Gold Member
Max Payne. MGS2‘s story and ending was …

Difficult People Reaction GIF by HULU

Skifi28

I have very fond memories of MP1, I must have finished it over 50 times back when I was a kid (not much else to play on my ancient pc). Mgs2 was a game I tried and immediately quit, just couldn't stand the camera.

Dis

MGS 2 and somewhat Kojima and his team predicted the future

I wanted to make a thread called Amber Heard and Metal Gear Solid 2 and link this codec call. Next to it predicting the future so accurately and deeply. It also gave me insight on personality disordered people.

GMCamaro

Raider was and will always be a terrible character. Put all the ninja stuff you want on him, hell, make him a sentient sword, and he’ll still be that annoying little wiener that I was bait and switched into playing.

I’m not still upset about that, though……

Denton

Both, but if forced at gunpoint, MGS2

btw it is fucking criminal that I still cannot buy MGS 1, 2, 3 and 4 in some great remasters on Steam. Konami what the fuck are you doing.

Last edited:

AJUMP23

Gold Member
Bullet time or a good time. If MGS2 was just the ship level it is better than max Payne.

La Le Lu Lu lo knows the truth of the Patriots.

Raider was and will always be a terrible character. Put all the ninja stuff you want on him, hell, make him a sentient sword, and he’ll still be that annoying little wiener that I was bait and switched into playing.

What's worse is MGS killed off the cool ninja guy and gave us patched together Ninja Raiden, FROM OFF SCREEN, to replace him.

Last edited:

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I'm a big Max Payne fan. Playing that at release was awesome and got me into film noir.

But it can't hold a candle to MGS2
People giving empathy emojis; I did not mean to offend lol. I love the Max Payne and Metal Solid series. I just think what Max Payne did has been done better since (especially by Max Payne 2), but nothing has really re-captured Metal Gear Solid 2's essence or even tried to; it's singular, dense, and varied. I'm honestly surprised that Max Payne has so many votes, and that's coming from someone who appreciates it.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
I wanted to make a thread called Amber Heard and Metal Gear Solid 2 and link this codec call. Next to it predicting the future so accurately and deeply. It also gave me insight on personality disordered people.
That codec conversation is still mind-blowing. Maybe it's a case of not having been exposed to its ideas before MGS2, but, come on, that's easily in the ranking for most existentially terrifying dialogue in a video game. Soma levels of horror. Comparing Max Payne's story and dialogue to something like that is comparing apples and oranges.

• Strength
Reactions: Dis

Laptop1991

Max Payne, i played 1 and 2, i enjoyed them back then, i've never played a MGS, so an easy choice really for me.

CGNoire

Ill repost what I said in a previous thread....

That Moment when you say to yourself.....

..."Wait a minute...that not Snakes voice"....
...."Wait no way are they making me play with this weiner"....

...a couple hrs later...

...."Well surely this is just a 1/4 of the game.... I mean most of it Im gonna play as Snake...right?"....

.....a couple more hrs go bye....

....."Im mean surely Kojima wouldnt falsely advertise like this? Thats illegal right? I bought Zone of Enders just for the demo dammit.....any minute now....."

.....late game cutscenes start...

....."I see what Kojima's doing. Hes got us all worried but theres bound to be a B game after this where you get to play through Snake's Big Shell storyline.....phew I feel better now...."

...a full year after beating game...

....."Awe you see its all about the Substinece edition thats when we get Snake's Big Shell Adventure......"

Copium 2001 Edition.

Mozzarella

Tough call, but i think MGS2 is below MGS1 and MGS3, i like its OST and some bits of its story and gameplay, but i have fond memories of the first 2 Max Payne games, its close but i guess i will vote for Max Payne on this one, i would rate it slightly higher than MGS2.
But to be frank, i have foggy memories of both, i think my opinion can change on a replay, the last time i played these games are like 15 years ago, lol.

Last edited:
Top Bottom