• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2019 Lesser Known Gems

Mega Man

There has been a lot of talk about Game of the Year and who deserves the honor. Conversely, there has been a ton of talk about biggest disappointments. People have even been discussing biggest snubs, most underrated, or even most overrated. Yet there were many games released this year without the AAA or even AA hype that they may have deserved. Underrated suggests that they are better than their score represents. I would like to hear about some titles that released in 2019 that may have scored well or better, yet received very little attention post release. A list of Diamonds in the Rough if you will.

Personally, if I were to start anywhere it would be Mordhau. I don't believe enough people gave this skill-based multiplayer slasher a chance. I put 100+ hours into it and still look to return every week. This title is NOT for the faint of heart, but for the SoulsBorne generation, it reflects the Git Gud attitude well. The devs are consistently dropping new updates and patches to keep the combat flowing in an upward trend. This title is currently sitting at an 81 on metacritic and received very little coverage following a week of it's release.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain wasn't half bad to play local coop. It's not a real edf but it's fine.
Metro Exodus is not getting much praise and it's one of best games of it's type.
Maybe Blasphemous? I've not played the game but the soundtrack is amazing.

Portugeezer

Earth Defense Force: Iron Rain wasn't half bad to play local coop. It's not a real edf but it's fine.
Metro Exodus is not getting much praise and it's one of best games of it's type.
Maybe Blasphemous? I've not played the game but the soundtrack is amazing.
Blasphemous was a true Metroidvanias (not just an action platformer which is thrown around as Metroidvania these days). Better than its Metacritic score although high 70s is still good.

Top Bottom