• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2021 PS5 and Xbox Series home console sales

Status
Not open for further replies.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
What’s the series s and x split. Series s was widely available in my area on Christmas.

Deerock71

It's doing well for its different corner of the market. I think it was wise for Nintendo to combine their home and handheld divisions.
Wait until they decide to do a 50 dollar price cut across all three consoles.
The Lord Of The Rings Friends GIF by Maudit

kingfey

Banned
closer to 45/55
Yup. Only difference is 17k between them.

Outside world, is hard go to know, since we don't have concrete data.

If we go with wafers patch, which MS and Sony got, and compared it to the current gap, we can estimate that XSX and XSS gap is around 35-45/65-55, because of the current 1.7/1 gap. Xss helped shove 0.3 from Sony.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
When the VR unit comes for PS5 I’ll jump right in.

Vognerful

May you elaborate please ?
that has nothing to do with PS5 short supply. Bad comparison.

Nintendo switch is almost 5 years old.

PS5 and Xbox is 1.5 years old.

For a console that is underpowered and quite "old" it is selling well compared to other consoles.

Switch is also constrained in production. Maybe not in the same level, but it is. I don't think Xbox or sony would be able to make similar numbers, even when supply issues is removed.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.

For a console that is underpowered and quite "old" it is selling well compared to other consoles.

Switch is also constrained in production. Maybe not in the same level, but it is. I don't think Xbox or sony would be able to make similar numbers, even when supply issues is removed.
You have any statistic on this, or concrete proof?

BTW, home console probably wont reach Switch numbers, but definitely not "lol switch is number 1 again this month" kind of figure.

When supply issues removed, I highly doubt Switch will remain num 1 every single month.

Last edited:

Vognerful

You have any statistic on this, or concrete proof?

BTW, home console probably wont reach Switch numbers, but definitely not "lol switch is number 1 again this month" kind of figure.

When supply issues removed, I highly doubt Switch will remain num 1 every single month.
Which part are you referring to? The constraints?

b2KtbuW.png

Or that it would sell 35 to 40 consoles?

Two points:

1) I believe it was only the Nintendo DS was able to sell more than 30 million console in a single year. The PS2 didn't even do it. Now this info I copied it from someone else.

2) by the time ship shortage is settled, many of the enthusiastic consumers and early adopters would get one. Thus the number of consoles you need to "satisfy" the demand would be lesser as years go on. Consoles sales hit an upper limit at certain years and they don't exceed it by much. Recent example on the trend is PS4 sales where even with the most successful games, it did not make those numbers.

now what is your supporting arguments for your position?

lh032

Which part are you referring to? The constraints?

b2KtbuW.png

Or that it would sell 35 to 40 consoles?

Two points:

1) I believe it was only the Nintendo DS was able to sell more than 30 million console in a single year. The PS2 didn't even do it. Now this info I copied it from someone else.

2) by the time ship shortage is settled, many of the enthusiastic consumers and early adopters would get one. Thus the number of consoles you need to "satisfy" the demand would be lesser as years go on. Consoles sales hit an upper limit at certain years and they don't exceed it by much. Recent example on the trend is PS4 sales where even with the most successful games, it did not make those numbers.

now what is your supporting arguments for your position?
my supporting argument is common sense.

Look at total ps4 sales compared to the switch.
Its not far behind regardless who is the leading first.

If you think Switch still can retain number 1 every month assuming supply strain removed, you are delusional.
PS5 demand is higher than ever, and supply strains hit it way harder compared to the switch. It is so bad people are making it a "PS5 is a myth" meme now.

Switch is abundance everywhere, dont compare switch supply strain to the PS5 or Series X, it is laughable you think that.
You are trying too hard to justify your "argument"

EDIT: I can show the same article like yours.

Last edited:

Vognerful

If you think Switch still can retain number 1 every month assuming supply strain removed, you are delusional.
PS5 demand is higher than ever, and supply strains hit it way harder compared to the switch.

Switch is abundance everywhere, dont compare switch supply strain to the PS5 or Series X, it is laughable you think that.
Let's lay the facts here:

1) you dismissed that Switch is selling more than PS5 and Xbox because these big consoles are supplied constraints.

2) I replied by saying that first it is Sony and Xbox problem, and second by explaining how a 5 year old console, with drastically worse capabilities and have ship shortage selling making crazy numbers should be admired and accepted. I also made an opinion how the Xbox or sony won't be able to sell 30 to 40 million console ( the only way is probably if the make way cheaper models, like the slim or something).

3) you again asked for facts and to support my statement.

4) I provided a an article on how Nintendo had to reduce their sale forecast TWICE due to shortage.

5) I asked you to provide supporting arguments for your position.

6) you responded with "common sense" and making false claim that said PS5 would never outsell Switch (I did not) or that switch constraints is similar to PS5 ( I did not, I literally said "Switch is also constrained in production. Maybe not in the same level, but it is.")

Let me state something about your comment , but it is not dismissing PS5 sales:

We are in what, the 9th year of PS4 life cycle. It's sales has stagnated almost for the last year. Nintendo is going to outsell this year for sure and even continue to "threaten" the PS2 numbers.

lh032

Let's lay the facts here:

1) you dismissed that Switch is selling more than PS5 and Xbox because these big consoles are supplied constraints.

2) I replied by saying that first it is Sony and Xbox problem, and second by explaining how a 5 year old console, with drastically worse capabilities and have ship shortage selling making crazy numbers should be admired and accepted. I also made an opinion how the Xbox or sony won't be able to sell 30 to 40 million console ( the only way is probably if the make way cheaper models, like the slim or something).

3) you again asked for facts and to support my statement.

4) I provided a an article on how Nintendo had to reduce their sale forecast TWICE due to shortage.

5) I asked you to provide supporting arguments for your position.

6) you responded with "common sense" and making false claim that said PS5 would never outsell Switch (I did not) or that switch constraints is similar to PS5 ( I did not, I literally said "Switch is also constrained in production. Maybe not in the same level, but it is.")

Let me state something about your comment , but it is not dismissing PS5 sales:

We are in what, the 9th year of PS4 life cycle. It's sales has stagnated almost for the last year. Nintendo is going to outsell this year for sure and even continue to "threaten" the PS2 numbers.
what i'm saying is, don't expect Switch to stay at number 1 every month, assuming there is no supply strain on PS5/Series.

Its that simple.

Your first post seems to indicate that without any supply strain, Switch would still outsell current gen console every month, which I disagree.

So yes, the table shown by OP is biased, and yes supply strain is the main factor.

"Switch is also constrained in production. Maybe not in the same level, but it is. I don't think Xbox or sony would be able to make similar numbers, even when supply issues is removed." < this is coming from your first post, you are the one starting all this flexing here.

Last edited:

Vognerful

what i'm saying is, don't expect Switch to stay at number 1 every month, assuming there is no supply strain on PS5/Series.

Its that simple.

Your first post seems to indicate that without any supply strain, Switch would still outsell current gen console every month, which I disagree.

So yes, the table shown by OP is biased, and yes supply strain is the main factor.
Oh now I understand, so sorry for missing the point.
4IyZDLi.jpg

Caio

Switch is basicly one of the most successful portable from Nintendo, that's why is selling so well; it doesn't matter how old and outdated the console and graphics capabilities are, it sells for many other reasons, and it caters a so different audience compared to PS5 and XBox series.

Deerock71

yea, sold more while PS5 is in short supply, UNREAAALLLL~~

200.gif
24 million in it's fifth year without a price cut. Are people really that desensitized to Nintendo's success here? Honestly, if PS5 had been "supplied" they'd be popping corks at 24 million.

Last edited:

Vognerful

Switch is basicly one of the most successful portable from Nintendo, that's why is selling so well; it doesn't matter how old and outdated the console and graphics capabilities are, it sells for many other reasons, and it caters a so different audience compared to PS5 and XBox series.
Are you counterarguing me or adding in?

I hope you have the approval of the other thread for calling "portable". /s

Switch's numbers are very impressive, but it's very misleading to say it's outselling PS5 2 to 1, when PS5s are sold as soon as the come off the assembly line.

If I had 15 cookies to sell and 5 pies, and I sold 10 cookies and all 5 pies, you can't reach the conclusion the cookie demand is double. We just don't know until we find a way to bake pies fast enough.

I think just about everyone believes if there were twice as many PS5s and Series X systems available, there would be twice as many sold.

Will they have the Switch's longevity? That's a long ways from being determined.

Deerock71

Switch's numbers are very impressive, but it's very misleading to say it's outselling PS5 2 to 1, when PS5s are sold as soon as the come off the assembly line.

If I had 15 cookies to sell and 5 pies, and I sold 10 cookies and all 5 pies, you can't reach the conclusion the cookie demand is double. We just don't know until we find a way to bake pies fast enough.
I believe this fairy tale is clinging to the notion that there are cookies on store shelves gathering dust; 14 of those 15 cookies got sold in a worse case scenario here.

Lognor

Banned

PS5 demand is higher than ever, and supply strains hit it way harder compared to the switch. It is so bad people are making it a "PS5 is a myth" meme now.

You are trying too hard to justify your "argument"

EDIT: I can show the same article like yours.
You got a source for your statement that PS5 demand is higher than ever? Or you making that up? I don't see why demand would be higher now than it was in the months after launch. As more people get PS5s doesn't the demand go down, everything else being equal? But you're saying as it stands today PS5 demand is as high as it's ever been. I gotta see a source on that.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom