• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sea of Thieves on PS5 reveals Microsoft's Trojan Horse to turn millions of PS5 users into Xbox users

ManaByte

The Sea of Thieves beta is ending early tomorrow morning on PS5, and I posted impressions on the improvements in the PS5 client here. I've put 12 hours into the beta so far and will probably play several more today, but something happened yesterday that was eye opening and revealed the real reason MS is porting these games to PlayStation, and it's not because "people don't buy games on Xbox and they'll buy them on PS5". In fact, I wouldn't be shocked if SoT (and possibly Grounded) show up on PS+ in the future as the true reason for their existence isn't sales of the game client.

When you download SoT on the PS5 it works exactly as it does on Steam. You are REQUIRED to link or create a Microsoft account. You cannot log into the game and play without one. While most people just shrugged and assumed it was for cross progression/cross play, the shocker is that when you're playing Sea of Thieves on a PS5, you're still playing it on Xbox.

Trophies are disabled in the beta (but they're still being tracked so they'll pop on release), and I unlocked two achievements while playing. While the PS5 trophies are disabled, my Xbox mobile app notification popped up showing the achievements were unlocked - while I was playing on the PS5. Those 12 hours I played in the PS5 beta were also added to my tracked playtime on Xbox for the game.

So even though you're using a PS5 to run the game and playing with a DualSense with its haptics, you're still logged into and playing the game on the Xbox services. Meaning MS is going to count every PS user in SoT as an Xbox user when reporting MAU.

Why are they doing this? Sony explained why in 2017:

There are mitigating factors to the effect of the console cycle on revenue: the business model used to be a business-to-business royalty-based model, but now it has shifted to direct sales to consumers. Hardware sales are still important, but the number of monthly active users is getting more relevant, alongside PlayStation Plus subscribers and how much time they spend on Sony's services and consoles.

Therefore, according to Yoshida-san, the axis is shifting from hardware to user base.

Every single person playing SoT (and again possibly Grounded) on PS5 can be counted as part of Xbox's MAU metric as they are technically logged in and playing on an Xbox service despite using a PS5 as the doorway to access it. That's why these GaaS games are being ported and why CoD will forever be cross platform. As CoD uses the Activision account (which is now MS) they'll be counting CoD players as "Xbox" users in the MAU metrics going forward.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
j3jO2UF.jpg

Chukhopops

Not sure I see the « Trojan horse » angle when it’s clearly labeled as a requirement to make or use a MS account.

But yeah every CoD player is probably already counted as an Xbox MAU, no need for account integration.

Three

If they're using an Xbox account to access Xbox services how is that artificially inflating though? Is everyone playing it on PS5 this weekend a bot?
"Xbox account" is just a word that has nothing to do with xbox the console anymore. You could just as easily call it a "MS account". It's just sad that people think this is a 'trojan horse' win for 'xbox' or at least what people considered 'xbox' in the past.

Robb

Gold Member
Same. I remember EA doing this in the PS3 days and it was one of the reasons I stopped buying their games.
The absolute stupidest thing I’ve encountered in recent years is probably Redfall.

The game reviewed like crap, but I thought I’d give it a go regardless, and the first thing I’m greeted with is “make a Bethesda account to continue”. Like, I can’t even play a first party Xbox game without having to make an account somewhere else for whatever reason? Absolutely ridiculous.

Instantly deleted it and played other (and to be fair probably better) stuff.

radewagon

While most people just shrugged and assumed it was for cross progression/cross play, the shocker is that when you're playing Sea of Thieves on a PS5, you're still playing it on Xbox.

Language is funny. See, unless the game is streaming off of actual Xbox hardware, I would very much hesitate to say that playing it on PS5 equates to playing it on Xbox.

Just, definitively, no, it bloody well isn't. It's, from my understanding, a native PS5 application being run on PS5 hardware.

This almost feels like a stealth post that's trying to normalize MS's ridiculous desire to see xbox as a separate entity than the hardware itself.

Xbox is a box. It plays games. PS5's Sea of Thieves application does not run on said box. I will die on this hill.

Top Bottom