• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2022 headsets (Xbox+)

abcdrstuv

Banned
Looking for some feedback here, in the market for a gaming headset - not for games primarily, but to watch movies, stream tv with external speakers muted.

I’ve narrowed it down to the Lucidsound LS35x and the Xbox Wireless headset from Microsoft - the Steelseries Arctic 9 was a close runner-up.

If I’m prioritizing Dolby Atmos/7.1 for movies, Lucidsound makes most sense? Or are there other options? Are they going to refresh that model soon?

Priorities are Xbox Wireless (no dongle) and performance with movies ..

Kuranghi

Don't buy headphones for good surround sound, its all shite, just get good stereo headset. I think the Arctis 7X is the best buy for both movies and games, the Arctis 9 doesnt have a dongle so its bluetooth which will have some latency and if its bad enough that will ruin movies. I don't know the Lucidsound ones.

You need a proper surround sound system with discrete speaks for surround sound. A good headset will still downmix the 5.1/7.1 to stereo well and you'll get a feeling of things sounding different depending on whether its front or behind anyway.

edit - Wait hang on, no dongle? Why?

silly edit - Put a don(k)gle on it!:

Last edited:

Calverz

I have the wireless Microsoft Xbox headphones and it’s really good especially with atmos. Not sure for movies though.

Chukhopops

I use the Xbox wireless headset and it’s great although I use it for games, not for movies. The ability to mix sound from your phone with sound from games is the best part, once you use it you can’t live without it.

Surround is virtual surround (like any headset), not bad but obviously not comparable with a real positional setup.

I don’t see why you’d need a dongle if you use it with a Series console.

abcdrstuv

Banned
the dongle is for a WiFi signal, not Bluetooth? So it’s higher quality?

I don’t really want a headset that badly - I’m looking for something when I want to watch TV without disturbing anyone else - and I’d rather have a set that works with the Xbox and can do gaming instead of hooking something up to my TV..

If a 2.4 ghz dongle is way better quality I’ll look at one of those

RaZoR No1

Steelseries arctis 7x owner here.

It is a pretty good headset.
Only drawbacks: no Bluetooth, for wireless connectivity you have to use the dongle, but thanks to the dongle it can be literally used on any device which supports audio via USB (PC, Phone, PS4/5, Xbox One/ Series, Switch etc.)
The old one had Micro USB, but I think they already released a version with USB C to charge (The dongle is always USB C with a USB C to USB A Adapter cable)
The cheaper alternative should be Steelseries 1X

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
the dongle is for a WiFi signal, not Bluetooth? So it’s higher quality?

I don’t really want a headset that badly - I’m looking for something when I want to watch TV without disturbing anyone else - and I’d rather have a set that works with the Xbox and can do gaming instead of hooking something up to my TV..

If a 2.4 ghz dongle is way better quality I’ll look at one of those

I didn't buy it at first, but others here convinced me to try headsets with dongle and I did. Personally glad they did as they were right.

I'm using these:

Very comfortable and sound great.

NeonGhost

uses 'M$' - What year is it? Not 2002.
Steelseries arctis 7x owner here.

It is a pretty good headset
Only drawbacks: no Bluetooth, for wireless connectivity you have to use the dongle, but thanks to the dongle it can be literally used on any device which supports audio via USB (PC, Phone, PS4/5, Xbox One/ Series, Switch etc.)
The old one had Micro USB, but I think they already released a version with USB C to charge (The dongle is always USB C with a USB C to USB A Adapter cable)
The cheaper alternative should be Steelseries 1X
They havnt released a Xbox version of this yet for some reason EDIT seems like they have made they but not released them some Walmarts have started selling them early

Last edited:

I Master l

Banned
My advice is never buy headset without dongle, anything without dongle will use the console internal wifi chip to
transmitt audio and if there an interference than you are out of luck
I had terrible interference issues with 2 headsets, i gave up and switched to something that uses a dongle

I have the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 and absolutely love it. It's super comfortable and has bluetooth, which I wouldn't want to live without. I listen to YouTube videos on it while gaming. Sound is good.

The only drawback is that I would like it to go a little louder when I'm using it to watch concert DVDs and Blu-rays.

ManaByte

I have the Turtle Beach Stealth 700 Gen 2 and absolutely love it. It's super comfortable and has bluetooth, which I wouldn't want to live without. I listen to YouTube videos on it while gaming. Sound is good.

The only drawback is that I would like it to go a little louder when I'm using it to watch concert DVDs and Blu-rays.
I looked at the 700, but I like the cloth on the 600 more than the fake leather on the 700s, which ends up flaking off eventually.

Justin9mm

I really think Headset/Headphone tech is really behind in being versatile / universal for different devices / systems.. There needs to really be a universal standard when it comes to plug and play so to speak.

Last edited:

abcdrstuv

Banned
I really think Headset/Headphone tech is really behind in being versatile / universal for different devices / systems.. There needs to really be a universal standard when it comes to plug and play so to speak.
Xbox and Switch lock out third party bluetooth, right? I have the Sony WH-1000XM4, I'd love to be able to use them..

It's also really really hard to tell as a consumer what difference exists between most of them..

kikkis

I concluded that there really isnt anything good for my use case. I would need it to work well with laptop without additional dongles and xbox. I would also need charging station since plugging in every time defeats the purpose of wireless imo.

ManaByte

Xbox and Switch lock out third party bluetooth, right? I have the Sony WH-1000XM4, I'd love to be able to use them..

It's also really really hard to tell as a consumer what difference exists between most of them..

You can use the Turtle Beach 600/700s on either Xbox or PC (via Bluetooth).

Switch allows Bluetooth but ONLY for audio playback, you can't use voice.

Leyasu

Banned
For closed back, I have the beyerdynamic mmx 300 gen2s which are pretty damn good.

For open back I have the audio Tecnica ath adg1s. Also good, but discontinued unfortunately.

I wish that a reasonably high end open back existed. Instead you go from 180£€$ to 900£€$ with nothing in between

Last edited:

lefty1117

Gold Member
Any headset supports Dolby atmos
The previous gen (3) of the A50s didn't without workarounds, because it was presenting to Windows as a 7.1 surround device. THe latest version does away with that and it appears as a simple USB sound controller. Also fixed the wifi interfering with other devices issue (caused crackling and dropouts in the sound)

Top Bottom