• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

2024 Academy Awards Nominees

bender

What time is it?
I also just saw "The Boy and the Heron". Interesting film but possibly a bit too much on the esoteric and meta side. I wish they had spent more time on explaining the sekai of the isekai, but it is a Miyazaki film after all, and this is just a personal bias of mine. Emotional and visually interesting, but I liked Spirited Away a lot more.

At the end of the movie, my immediate thought was, "Gee, out of the two movies I saw this year that were set in WWII Japan, the one that really resonated with me more on an emotional level was the movie featuring a giant radioactive lizard that destroyed Ginza."

The first moments of The Boy and the Heron gave me Grave of the Fireflies vibes so I was pretty excited, but that impression quickly faded and was replaced with Spirited Away vibes. I hate to admit it, but I've never been able to finish that movie. It's just so...strange? I'm not using that word as an insult, but rather, the movie makes me uncomfortable. Beyond being a lush feast for the eyes, The Boy and the Heron didn't do much for me and the story isn't going to stick with me either.

Godzilla was a lot of fun but the narrative was a little too saccharine for me.

CGNoire

There's been a trend recently of people insisting those kinds of films should get nominated. It's happened with some of the Marvel stuff in recent years too.
l2JhCYVlbiCCxCrJe.gif
The general public should have no say on what art is held up in high esteem since the general public are artisticly illiterate....but unfortunatly so are a good percentage of the academy as well :/

jason10mm

Gold Member
Imagine taking the Bechdel Test seriously when even the creator said it was a joke.

(insufferable article, by the way. You're better off not reading)
I know folks who take it VERY serious, as if failing it were a transgression on the scale of physical assault. Usually Karen type white ladies and their beta male partners, desperate to be seen as 'allies" in a world (of their own making) where white cishet folks are easy targets.

It's always been a dumb idea for me, if you just change it to "2 women talking not about the main character" virtually EVERY film, be it Steel Magnolias, Wonder Woman, or Women Talking, would fail because no film can spend much time with secondary characters having an inane meaningless conversation not related to the plot/main character. Then to apply it to war, fantasy, sci-fi, action, thriller, western, and horror genres that are very male audience focused is even worse. Rarely do you get 2 men in a Hallmark film not talking about the leading lady either.

ManaByte

Gold Member
I finally sat down to watch all of Oppenheimer last night.

The reason I didn't see it in theaters is because with modern Hollywood I was terrified that Nolan would make a sobbing liberal take on the atomic bomb that caters to the weeabos who don't understand that Japan in 1945 isn't the same Japan that gave them their waifus and would make a three hour argument claiming we should've never dropped the two bombs. But he doesn't do that. It's shockingly accurate and he included a scene where a character basically looks right in the camera and tells people how Japan would fight to the very last baby and they had to use the bomb to end the war and save lives.

It deserves to sweep all 13 awards and if it doesn't it's because the voters are butthurt that Nolan didn't make some revisionist history preaching movie.

The reason I didn't see it in theaters is because with modern Hollywood I was terrified that Nolan would make a sobbing liberal take on the atomic bomb that caters to the weeabos who don't understand that Japan in 1945 isn't the same Japan that gave them their waifus and would make a three hour argument claiming we should've never dropped the two bombs. But he doesn't do that. It's shockingly accurate and he included a scene where a character basically looks right in the camera and tells people how Japan would fight to the very last baby and they had to use the bomb to end the war and save lives.

It deserves to sweep all 13 awards and if it doesn't it's because the voters are butthurt that Nolan didn't make some revisionist history preaching movie.

But I'm a weaboo and I know how Japan was during WWII? 🤔

And I loved Oppenheimer? I hope it wins all the nominations

Last edited:

DKehoe

I thought the film was fantastic, my favourite of the year. I definitely see it doing well but I don’t think it’s winning all 13. And that’s not to do with people getting “buthurt.”

Off the top of my head for ones it’s nominated for I’d give Sound to Zone Of Interest and Production Design and Costume Design to Poor Things.

I thought the film was fantastic, my favourite of the year. I definitely see it doing well but I don’t think it’s winning all 13. And that’s not to do with people getting “buthurt.”

Off the top of my head for ones it’s nominated for I’d give Sound to Zone Of Interest and Production Design and Costume Design to Poor Things.

Yeah what a weird comment 🙄 😐

ManaByte

Gold Member
Yeah what a weird comment 🙄 😐

It's not weird because Oscar voting for at least the last decade is 100% political (I DON'T MEAN AS IN POLITICS) where many years they don't vote on the merit of the movie, but instead on a narrative or mob mentality. It's not new though, it's happened before like when Ghandi won over E.T. in 1982 and even Richard Attenborough (the director of Ghandi) disagreed with it winning. Like Green Book over Black Panther. It happens all the time. Green Book won because the academy voters wanted to push the superhero fatigue narrative, when five years later no one even remembers what Green Book was.

It's not weird because Oscar voting for at least the last decade is 100% political (I DON'T MEAN AS IN POLITICS) where many years they don't vote on the merit of the movie, but instead on a narrative or mob mentality. It's not new though, it's happened before like when Ghandi won over E.T. in 1982 and even Richard Attenborough (the director of Ghandi) disagreed with it winning. Like Green Book over Black Panther. It happens all the time. Green Book won because the academy voters wanted to push the superhero fatigue narrative, when five years later no one even remembers what Green Book was.

Hey I love Black Panther, Green Book, Gandhi and E.T.

But yeah they do have a bias against nerd stuff

Hollywood doesn't want historically accurate movies like Oppenhiemer to counter their brainwashing. They want Black Cleopatra.

Oh I remember that cringe

I know that Saudi Arabia was gonna to sue for that

Also Oppenheimer has a all white cast so Hollywood definitely wouldn't want that to win Best Director and Best Picture 😉

DKehoe

So if Oppenheimer “only” wins 12 Oscars but misses out on the one for Makeup & Hairstyling the only reason could be because of the academy being butthurt and having a mob mentality? Could it not just be that other films excelled in certain categories?
Hollywood doesn't want historically accurate movies like Oppenhiemer to counter their brainwashing. They want Black Cleopatra.
If Hollywood doesn’t want films like Oppenheimer then why did it get a huge budget, massive marketing push and was one off matching the record for the number of Oscar nominations a film has ever received? The number of nominations shows that the academy really supports it. So how can they also have this conspiracy to undermine it?

EviLore

Expansive Ellipses
Staff Member
The academy isn’t some cackling cabal in an underground lair to attribute all this singular intent to. It’s just people in the film industry choosing what they like.

Top Bottom