• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

$330 Million Pitcher cries and begs Major League Baseball to let him cheat.

SlimySnake

Flashless at the Golden Globes
On the verge of tears. Voice cracking. Frustrated like someone stole his lunch money. All on the day he pitched 8 inning, conceded just two runs and won the game. Imagine what this cry baby will do if he actually gets smacked around the ballpark.

It's ironic that a pitcher whose job it is to throw the baseball a 100 times a game has the gal to complain about not being able to throw baseballs without applying glue. Do your fucking job and stop crying. imagine if hitters started asking to use PEDs, "Please I cant hit. Let me inject some steroids in my ass."

Pitchers are the worst.

Fox Mulder

It’s cheating, but mlb has let it happen forever. Now they crack down on it in the middle of a season impacting key players and teams.

it’s all handled stupid and could have been done in an offseason. This is all before the inevitable collective bargaining shitshow that coming at the end of the year.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
It’s cheating, but mlb has let it happen forever. Now they crack down on it in the middle of a season impacting key players and teams.

it’s all handled stupid and could have been done in an offseason. This is all before the inevitable collective bargaining shitshow that coming at the end of the year.
I don’t care for the sport, but I hear more about the cheating scandals than anything else. I don’t think you want another champion team that everybody accuses of cheating.

Prison Mike

Banned
Larry David Crying GIF by Curb Your Enthusiasm

The rate at which strikeouts per season has been climbing is absolutely ridiculous. (Granted, it's partly the hitting approach as well.)

It's no fun for fans to sit around watching without seeing the ball in play for such a significant portion of the game. Baseball is already boring to so many (not me), and the last thing it needs to appeal to potential/fringe fans is *less* action.

StormCell

He's not wrong though. MLB just made the seams smoother and the core tighter. Maybe if they didn't change the baseball so much it would be more predictable for everybody.

But baseball has many problems, including this one.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
You don't cry because you're worried about the safety of the batters lol.

That's all it takes to realize what he's really crying about.

UnravelKatharsis

Gold Member
Look, hitting balls is really hard. We just need wider bats. Remember those bats you used as a toddler? The thick red ones? We need those. Have you ever tried to hit a curve ball?

rorepmE

Never understood why people love this sport to begin with.

Basket, football, i get it, but baseball??

When I was younger football, auto racing and bball were ranked higher in my sports list. ADHD, hormones? Who knows. Approaching middle age now and baseball is number 1.

I like being able to listen to a baseball game in the background while I work on other things. The the most multitask-able sport.

also helps my team is the team best in baseball.

MastaKiiLA

The rate at which strikeouts per season has been climbing is absolutely ridiculous. (Granted, it's partly the hitting approach as well.)

It's no fun for fans to sit around watching without seeing the ball in play for such a significant portion of the game. Baseball is already boring to so many (not me), and the last thing it needs to appeal to potential/fringe fans is *less* action.
How much of it is pitchers using stickem, and how much of it is batters going to the plate looking to hit dingers or strikeout? I don't think there are many Tony Gwynn's or Eichiros left in the league. I haven't watched a game since I saw one live at Marlins Stadium in 2015, so I don't know how much the game has truly changed. Even that live game was the first game I'd watched since Bonds retired. The sport is just dull to me. For me, it really started when managers started abusing their bullpens to bring in new arms every other fucking inning. I missed the days of watching a game for one of your favorite pitchers, to see if he could throw a shutout, or at least close a complete game. After a while, you were lucky to see him make it past the stretch.

SlimySnake

Max Scherzer and other pitchers are throwing bitch fits at being asked to show if they are using illegal substances.

This other pitcher literally pulled his pants down.

I love how 90% of the pitchers were using illegal substances and yet are now pretending to be offended when being searched. GTFO. It's YOUR fault it got to this point you fucking cheaters.

Romulus

So are baseballs radically different now? What changed? Or is this just another example of how soft this generation is?

I've seen WW2 soldiers tell battlefront war experiences with less emotion.

Last edited:

MastaKiiLA

So are baseballs radically different now? What changed? Or is this just another example of how soft this generation is?

I've seen WW2 soldiers tell battlefront war experiences with less emotion.
Are you seriously asking that question about the sport that throws balls at other players because of "the unwritten rules"? LOL. I'd say baseball has been populated by overpaid manbabies for well over a decade now. Guys used to pimp out homeruns all the time, and then over time, players started getting in their feelings about it. Instead of just not serving up meatballs, these douches would get mad and bean someone. So I don't know if it's about anything generational. Guys in other sports don't act this way. This is very much an entitled baseball player thing.

oagboghi2

Are you seriously asking that question about the sport that throws balls at other players because of "the unwritten rules"? LOL. I'd say baseball has been populated by overpaid manbabies for well over a decade now. Guys used to pimp out homeruns all the time, and then over time, players started getting in their feelings about it. Instead of just not serving up meatballs, these douches would get mad and bean someone. So I don't know if it's about anything generational. Guys in other sports don't act this way. This is very much an entitled baseball player thing.
Guys in other sports very much act this way. How is a baseball pitcher beaning someone any different than a offensive lineman gouging another lineman eyes, or a basketball player elbowing someone in the face because they are frustrated?

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
On paper pitchers are baseballs biggest stars but they’re all drama, memories of Babe Ruth are of hitting home runs not pitching.

Why don’t they just let them us what’s already been around for decades...Pine Tar and Rosin bags...no more no less?. Asking cause I just got back into the game after many years.

SlimySnake

Why don’t they just let them us what’s already been around for decades...Pine Tar and Rosin bags...no more no less?. Asking cause I just got back into the game after many years.
Because offense has been at historic lows this year. They deadened the ball which makes hitting home runs even harder. They had to do something midseason and banning everything is far easier than banning SOME substances.

I am guessing next year they will allow pine tar and rosin.

Sorry to ask, but I haven't kept up with baseball since my father passed away. Pitchers now make a third of a billion dollars?!
Confused Bryan Cranston GIF
Considering how awfully boring baseball is... I don't get it.

Basketball, Football, hell even Soccer are more fun to watch.

SlimySnake

Sorry to ask, but I haven't kept up with baseball since my father passed away. Pitchers now make a third of a billion dollars?!
Confused Bryan Cranston GIF
Everyone is making more money. Not just pitchers. Mike Trout got a $450 million contract last year. Like four other players have gotten $330+ million contracts in the last couple of years. Cole was the best pitcher to hit the market in years and because hes so young, he was able to get himself a long contract.

The Yankees are the second most valuable team in the world. There are several teams in the $3-4 billion range. Baseball makes owners a lot of money. It's probably because they play 162 games a year which means selling a lot of stadium seats and getting 3-4 hours of daily tv time where as football is once a week and soccer is twice a week for just 90 minutes.

Forbes' Top 10 most valuable sports teams in the world:

1. Dallas Cowboys (NFL) $5.7bn

2. New York Yankees (MLB) $5.25bn

3. New York Knicks (NBA) $5bn

4. Barcelona (Football) $4.76bn

5. Real Madrid (Football) $4.75bn

6. Golden State Warriors (NBA) $4.7bn

7. Los Angeles Lakers (NBA) $4.6bn

8. New England Patriots (NFL) $4.4bn

9. New York Giants (NFL) $4.3bn

10. Bayern Munich (Football) $4.21bn

GeekyDad

Everyone is making more money. Not just pitchers. Mike Trout got a $450 million contract last year. Like four other players have gotten $330+ million contracts in the last couple of years. Cole was the best pitcher to hit the market in years and because hes so young, he was able to get himself a long contract. ...
Oh My God Reaction GIF

Jesus H...

Very, very, VERY different from when I was a kid. Good fucking Lord! Whew, man, the priorities of our species. Holy shit! :messenger_grinning_sweat:

Spaceman292

Banned
I don't know a thing about baseball but I assume in the old days they were just drag this guy into the car park and beat him with the bats, right?

Because offense has been at historic lows this year. They deadened the ball which makes hitting home runs even harder. They had to do something midseason and banning everything is far easier than banning SOME substances.

I am guessing next year they will allow pine tar and rosin.
Yeah, I guess it makes more sense to wait till next year and allow one or two things back in the game. I wonder if the ban is going to make a huge difference in batting or just a little bit 🤔

Top Bottom