• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

35th anniversary of the Commodore 64

ymgve

Because there was no commercially available internet, and modems to connect to Bulletin Board Systems were expensive, a lot of people, like me, got our pirate games via mail instead.

The disk magazines had their own columns where people could list their addresses to get in touch with other C64 fans, mostly across Europe. It was basically like having lots of pen pals, but instead of handwritten letters you sent and received floppy disks instead.

I only had like six people I mailed, but it gave me a steady stream of "fresh" games and demos.

More info about swapping

TechnicPuppet

Nothing! I said nothing!
I had 2 of them. The second one I got came with a T2 cartridge.

I used to spend hours typing the programs that came in the manual in and they never worked for me.

Occam

Time to rage at kids:

"Oh, there was a ten minute initial load? And then the game loaded instantly? And the game was a sprawling open world RPG with realistic characters and 87 hours of new gameplay?"

Y'all never had to use azimuth head adjustment and PRAY that Impossible Mission would RUN after the fifth 18 minute load attempt, instead of crash back to the blue home screen.

Also, there was something sort of magical about the flashing square cursor on the BASIC screen. It felt coiled up, ready to go.

Haha, 18 minutes. You don't know how good you had it. Many cassette games on Atari XL took 30. You started to load the game, then went outside to play with your friends for half an hour, then went back to see if it had actually worked.

Santar

Congrats to the little breadbox! :)
Such a great little computer that one, my very first gaming machine.
I still remember being awed by the Ghostbusters game at a friends house and eagerly wanting one for Christmas.
Loved all the game compilations of games it had too, soo many great games!
Rainbow Islands, Buggy Boy, Bubble Bobble, Slap Fight, Super Wonderboy, Bomb Jack, I could go on and on :)

TaitoCoinUp.jpg
Still remember the very first games I ever got, this compilation.
The fact that the screenshots often were not of the C64 version always really irked me, you never quite knew what they would actually look like :D

And lets not forget how awesome so many of the cover arts were!

Budi

C64 is a beast!

Not my earliest gaming experience, but my first computer. And thanks for including the Law of the West in the OP, I fondly remember that game but had forgotten the name. Bought C64 and a big pile of games from the super cool skater dude at my neighbor. Bought the disk drive much later from flea market. That same guy got me into Hero Quest and Space Crusade board games. Skating too, but I was bit too clumsy for it unfortunately to stick with it. But hey, gaming ain't too bad!

Ocean had one of the absolute best loader tunes https://youtu.be/tfNxV87bKgM?t=80 by Jonathan Dunn.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
My lord, was I really five years old when this came out? I still remember going to the local Toys 'R' Us and picking one up for my brother with my parents. I remember having saved a pail full of coins enough to pay for the 1541 Disk Drive. Those years. So early in tech.

jett

D-Member
35 years. Man. I feel old.

Space Taxi, Bruce Lee, Cauldron 2, Barbarian, Karateka, Great Giana Sisters and Up 'N Down were probably my favorite and most played games. I actually managed to finish Bruce Lee, one of the few C64 games with that honor. :p So much assbackwards and obtuse design this era.

The games have not endured, but the SID has. That thing just has a wonderful sound, and so much great music was produced during this time. I made a thread about it some time ago, gonna quote some of my faves:

Martin Galway - Wizball
Martin Galway - Parallax
Martin Galway - Green Beret
Martin Galway - Arkanoid
Martin Galway - Ocean Loader

Tim Follin - Ghouls 'N Ghosts

Rob Hubbard - Nemesis the Warlock
Rob Hubbard - Commando
Rob Hubbard - Skate or Die

Jeroen Tel - Cybernoid 2
Jeroen Tel - Robocop 3
Jeroen Tel - Myth

Chris Hülsbeck - R-Type
Chris Hülsbeck - The Great Giana Sisters
Matt Gray - The Last Ninja 2

Richard Joseph - Barbarian

Jag

The C64 sucked ass. Don’t know why anyone would glorify it.

Because that's what we had and it was glorious. It was really the first affordable PC that was also a fantastic gaming PC.

I was on a Commodore Vic-20 before the C64 came out. The C64 was such a huge upgrade. The C64 opened up a whole new generation to computing and PC gaming.

For me, the greatest thing about the C64 and the European computer scene is the immeasurable abundance of creativity and technical prowess that was cultivated within that community. The C64 was like a little box of wonders, you acquired new games and programs by recording sound, pressed each and every one of the keys with weird runes to see what happens, you typed these ancient spells to draw a circle on a screen or make sounds come out of it and there was this feeling as a kid that there was this weird, alchemic quality to the computer. It came out in an interesting time where computers were still more for the enthusiast, tinkerer and DIY, radio club and engineer crowd, but it introduced that DIY mentality to a lot of youngsters, which led to the proliferation of great, creative programmer minds, most evident in the demoscene community, but also seeping into every corner of the games industry.

Its legacy is that same creative spirit that shows its influence today in a lot of UK, Nordic, European and even to an extent US developers in general. There's this interesting mix of experimental, creative ideas and technical knowledge, that try to push the industry forward, often with varying degrees of success, but that's what being a pioneer is all about. It's interesting when you try to look at some of these studios and games today, like Little Big Planet, Wipeout, Battlefield, Driveclub, Alan Wake, Wolfenstein: TNO, Donkey Kong Country (and trying to push new ideas with Sea of Thieves), Starfox and the Super FX chip, Grow Home, No Man's Sky and many others, there's often this distinct thread of creative thinking that feels a bit distinct and different from a lot of what you see as mainstream influences. There are a lot of unsung heroes and influential people that have created ripples in the industry but aren't nearly as mentioned as often as a lot of the Japanese juggernauts. To be fair, I have nothing against the Japanese masterminds that created some of the most influential games and hardware ever, it's just that it would be very beneficial and healthy for the industry to rediscover its other influences and always strive to find new, fresh ideas to propel games forward.

Can't say that most C64 games have stood the test of time, but the legacy that little computer (and its brethren and successors) has left on the world should be recognized and celebrated.

Happy anniversary, C64.

Stinkles

Clothed, sober, cooperative

Fredrik

Did you know that DICE (Battlefield), previously known as Digital Illusion, was formed by a couple of guys doing demos on the C64 in the demo group The Silents? :)

That's just one example of how important the C64 scene was for gaming in general.

Huge fan here. I owned a VIC-20 before it but the C64 was the most significant game system of my youth. I had (and still have) hundreds of games for it, both copied and legit. And on disk, tape, and cartridge.

Thanks Phediuk for the thread, and for mentioning the computer was popular in North America. Often younger gamers are under the impression it only had a market presence in Europe. American, Canadian, and Australian developers were notable on the system.

So many C64 games are still underrated. Fist: The Legend Continues deserves to be praised alongside Metroid for atmospheric action-adventures of that period.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=v4YRJ155z7w

Matesamo

My first real computer that I ever owned. I remember the white programming bible that I would see in the bookstore, full of wonderful knowledge!

Upgraded the 300bps modem to 1200bps and life changed for the better! Red Dragon played smoother, downloading a nudie of Elvira was done quick enough that you could sit and wait for it instead of walking away, signing into Quantum Link for the first time, playing the classic Lucasarts adventure games with boxes full of goodies.

We had a party somewhere in Providence where all the local BBSers brought their computers for a meet-greet-copy-swap cookout, it was a fun community for sure.

The C64 is my favorite system ever. I loved it so much when I was younger. I am shocked at the lack of Bards Tale love in this thread. It still bothers me to this day that I was never able to finish the 3rd game since my C64 broke. I really wish someone would rerelease those games.

Jag

Huge fan here. I owned a VIC-20 before it but the C64 was the most significant game system of my youth. I had (and still have) hundreds of games for it, both copied and legit. And on disk, tape, and cartridge.

Figuring out how to copy every byte of a protected 5 1/4 became a game in itself.

Nyx

I went from Atari 2600 to C64 as well.
Great times for sure, played most if not all games mentioned in the OP and then some.

It lasted all the way to the SNES for me.

Lorcain

I bought a C128 late in the C64 /128 life span. It was my first pc. I played most of the games on the OP's list with fond memories. Some of my favorites (not listed in the OP) were the Microprose sims. They weren't mouse driven, so we used keyboard cutout overlays for 4 layers of keyboard shortcuts (normal, shift, ctrl and alt). That's some serious muscle memory.

One thing I really liked about the C64 was the sense of community (without the internet) when it came to visiting friend's houses to exchange floppies. We were always swapping games.

ghibli99

Played Ghostbusters on a neighbor's C=64 (we had an Apple IIe). From that point forward, I was forever jealous, especially of its sound capabilities.

Happy Birthday, C64, i suppose. Enjoy your party you terrible people! :p

Luckily my lot at school grew out of the Speccy/C64 wars pretty quickly in part due to quite a few releases being different genres of game on each platform and we had our fair share of dreadful games to lament :)

I have great memories of spending hours playing Infiltrator, Commando and Kickstart 2 but the game that we played through our A Levels was Leaderboard. We had some close tournaments and many cups of tea and packets of biscuits were eaten on those afternoons during free sessions when we should have been studying. lol, damn you Leaderboard!

Enjoy your pixelated, impressionistic mess. Sinclairly, Sir Clive ;)

Pookmunki

The C64 will always hold a dear place in my heart - so many great games and creators.

Thank you to all who posted screens, I nostalgia'd.

Jag

So much nostalgia. Anyone know of any legit C64 emulators for stuff that's off license? (ie: legal)

JSR_Cube

I didn't own a C64 as a kid but my friend did and I was so jealous. I had the rival Atari 800XL.

Anyway, I had one in my trunk up to a couple of years ago. I was taking it somewhere and it just was in my trunk for years. Then it got stolen. They recovered my car, not the C64. :(

I still play C64 games on my retropie often. I also beat Ultima V not too long ago too. That was a great game.

A lesser known game, called Run for the Money, is worth checking out if you are into economic simulation games. It's only 2 player though.
http://www.mobygames.com/game/c64/run-for-the-money

I'm a year and a half older than the C64, goddamnit!

This is one of those machines that I never owned, but when I was a kid I knew numerous people with C64's. My cousin had one with a ton of pirated floppies. But for some reason I remember playing a Hot Wheels game a lot on it. Also Turrican 2, which was pretty awesome on the system.

CTLance

Stupid shitty floppy disks.
Stupid shitty tape decks.
Dammit, that era was littered with crappy storage solutions that self destructed at the most minuscule application of force.

Also, the piracy! So much piracy. Part of why the era was so awesome, but surely not fun at all for Devs.

And the copy protection. Please type in word 7 line 3 on page 12. This is an adult game for adults and who was the third president of the United States of America or I'm kicking your bratty ass out to the command prompt again. No badly pixelized pictures of women for you!

It was a mindnumbing task to type BASIC listings from the magazines into that breadbox, but man, the payoff when it worked! ...or when it worked and the program was shit and you blamed yourself and quadruple-checked every single line of code. Peeking and poking. A smorgasbord of file formats. Who even remembers FLI?!

Man, I wish I owned a C64 back in the day. My parents were notoriously stingy with regards to electronic entertainment and I was a lazy ass, which provides ample explanation as to why I'm lurking in videogame fora and playing video games despite my ripe old age, I guess. Still, visiting friends and playing around with that stuff for half an hour every other week at most was pure bliss.

...we need a C64 mini classic. A genuine one. With a Userport, and a separate SD card reader dongle that also makes noise on access, because reasons.
I wanna make LEDs blink by writing shitty code. And then fry the port. And have it repaired. And fry it again. And again. And again. While dreaming of being able to control a huge industrial welding robot arm. Or a 2D plotter. The possibilities were endless! Ah, to be a kid again.

Obligatory fuck me I'm old.
?TOO MANY FILES ERROR

Velcro Fly

Summer Games was my jam on this thing despite not knowing how to control the swimming or diving properly. Gymnastics though. I must have spent hours playing the gymnastics.

xrnzaaas

I had an Amstrad CPC 464 myself, but I always envious of my friend who owned a C64. Apparently he bought one from an auction site not long ago, because he got hit by nostalgia. :)

Lorcain

Winter Games, World Games, California Games, all amazing ... Epyx were killing it back then.
I loved these games. I wore out a couple of controllers because of them.

Another Epyx game I played a ton of was Championship Wrestling. Really fun, with surprisingly good music for the different wrestlers.

Edited to add: I really liked GBA Championship Basketball too. It had a great league system, with newspaper headlines, stat tracking, and fun 2 on 2 gameplay. Developed by Dynamix and published by Activision.

Top Bottom