• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

3D programs war

Status
Not open for further replies.

NetMapel

Guilty White Male Mods Gave Me This Tag
Well, we all know there are 4 major 3D modeling/animating programs which are Maya, SoftImage, 3D Studio Max and Lightwave. Each program has its own advantages and disadvantages. Tell us about which program you mostly use and what advantages and disadvantages the program you use have, and why you choose that particular program. Currently I'm a Maya user after starting off with Lightwave and 3D Studio Max. Now I'm trying out the new SoftImage 4.0 and am really starting to like it. The interface seems somewhat more friendlier than Maya in my opinion... I might make a switch sometime soon in the future :O

MrCheez

President/Creative Director of Grumpyface Studios
Maya 4 lyyyyffffe!

Actually, it's the only one I've ever used so what the hell do I know. =) I plan to teach myself Max soon just so I can be a little more versatile.

V

Vennt

Unconfirmed Member
Background: I started out with Real3D and Imagine on the Amiga, Moved on to PoV/Moray and various Public Domain modellers/renderers, before getting 3D Studio 4 for the PC - For hobbiest use at first, but have had voluntary opportunities to work in broadcast graphics creating intros, stings & credit rolls for a local TV station, recently moving on to creating static meshes for various game engines (Papyrus's GPL/Nascar sims & Unreal Engine)

I'm a 3DS Max person through and through, mainly because of my own investment in time with the interface, I've tried Lightwave briefly (hated the UI) and have resisted moving to / trying Maya for the same reason, i.e. being worried that it would literally take me a decade to get the same kind of level of experience / use out of them.

I'm aware of some of 3D Studio's weaknesses, however I have found many plugins over the years to extend and compensate. Texporter & Chilliskinner to make up for it's poor UV handling and Laszlo Sebo's awesome Meshtools to expand Max's modelling capabilites - a set of modeling tools that make low-poly work a breeze. (Designed to facilitate a method known as "Box Modelling" - whereby you start with a simple primitive and use subdivision, face extraction, face scaling & vertex editing & more to create more complex models from a minimal start, rather than trying to lower the polycount of a higher resolution model.)

Phoenix

Pretty much - any artist will say that the system that they have invested much of their life to learning is the best one and the easiest to use. You usually don't see artists changing their tool of the trade often unless required to do so.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom