• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Solar Ash - one of the best 3D platformers of all time

Punished Miku

Gold Member

Just finished the game, and I am totally perplexed by the critical and user reception to the game. Unless I'm just on my own here, this is literally one of the best 3D platformers I've ever played. It's a fresh new IP with unbelievably cool art, a fantastic premise (you explore the inside of a black hole), pitch perfect controls, and a solid story as well. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen an indie team ever advance this far from one game to the next as has happened here. Heart Machine started out with Hyper Light Drifter, a stylish and cool pixel art indie with compelling combat and puzzles, but I never thought the game was a masterpiece. Sometimes it was too cryptic for its own good. The graphics are fairly limited. The combat is decent, but not phenomenal or comparable with the best in the industry. Then out of nowhere, their very next game is a shockingly original 3D exploration / platformer that blends influences ranging from Gravity Rush, to Mario Galaxy, to Shadow of the Colossus, to Neon White, to Aeon Flux and pulls it off nearly flawlessly. The controls are so smooth, despite some parts of the bosses resembling 3D speed runs similar to an F-Zero 64 track at times with shifting points of gravity and demanding camera control platforming. How does a developer pull this off after a simple pixel art 2D game? And why on Earth is this sitting at a Metacritic of 77%?

Best I can tell, the game is an unusually eclectic blend of genres, and that rubs some people the wrong way. For example, parts of the game are dreamy and strange, like a bizarre acid trip with limited difficulty and a higher focus on exploration across expansive environments. Then when you get to key destination points, you have to basically do a brief speed run platforming segment and they can get a little challenging if you're not used to complex 3D exploration and platforming. You have to really grasp where you are in a 3D space, the kind of thing you usually only experience in Mario or Zelda games. But you have to execute these segments like a speedrunner, similar to Neon White. You simply have to be okay with failing and then learning. You always have checkpoints near by for instant access to whatever section you're stuck on, but some sections took me 5-10 tries.

This is amplified on the bosses. The bosses emulate Shadow of the Colossus closely, but they feature a lot more intricate platforming. You're expected to nail tight speed running sections on the back of a giant enemy boss that really push your ability to grasp the course in 3D. If you can't play F-Zero 64, Mario 64, Gravity Rush, you probably don't need to play this. It's not like it's impossible or anything, but apparently most reviewers hated this. Read the reviews and they call it tedious and frustrating, but if you're someone that has experience with the old 3D platformers that were really pushing the envelope, you're probably going to absolutely love this. Just know it's not strict platforming on small platforms, it's more of a speed run over an open area where your basic movement is a smooth skating motion and your main moves are simply a boosting long jump, and a double jump.

Combat is simplistic but snappy and satisfying. Enemies are intelligently designed to tie the combat into the platforming and mobility at all times. Some enemies can only be hit in the back. Some enemies are snipers perched up on walls in difficult to reach spots. This means you have to complete demanding, small platforming sections to be able to reach them and attack.

Finally, the story is a little bit of a mixed bag. You have a few main side quests that are present throughout the game, and a core storyline shrouded in mystery. Most of the game I considered the story to be the main weak point of the game. However, at the end it really did come together in an extremely cool way that I felt was satisfying and interesting, culminating in a cool final boss as well if you follow what is happening at that point.

I really can't recommend the game enough. I can't even dock it points for the story. I can't really dock it points for anything, other than being potentially frustrating for people inexperienced for 3D platforming. For me it's either a 9.5 or a 10. It's way, way past Shadow of the Colossus for me, even though it is riding on their shoulders. The gameplay elements are just infinitely better. The art and level design are just so good. One level takes place in almost total darkness and it's designed well enough that it totally works and makes you again think in 3D to grasp some of the minor puzzle elements. The art design, music, and story all contribute a lot. This is literally one of the best "indie" games of all time, and one of my favorite 3D platformers of all time. When a lot of indies are still stuck on 2D metroidvania pixel art games, Heart Machine is just sooooooooooooooo far ahead. I could not be more interested in Hyper Light Breaker coming up, which is also 3D.

Last edited:

Just finished the game, and I am totally perplexed by the critical and user reception to the game. Unless I'm just on my own here, this is literally one of the best 3D platformers I've ever played. It's a fresh new IP with unbelievably cool art, a fantastic premise (you explore the inside of a black hole), pitch perfect controls, and a solid story as well. I honestly don't know if I've ever seen an indie team ever advance this far from one game to the next as has happened here. Heart Machine started out with Hyper Light Drifter, a stylish and cool pixel art indie with compelling combat and puzzles, but I never thought the game was a masterpiece. Sometimes it was too cryptic for its own good. The graphics are fairly limited. The combat is decent, but not phenomenal or comparable with the best in the industry. Then out of nowhere, their very next game is a shockingly original 3D exploration / platformer that blends influences ranging from Gravity Rush, to Mario Galaxy, to Shadow of the Colossus, to Neon White, to Aeon Flux and pulls it off nearly flawlessly. The controls are so smooth, despite some parts of the bosses resembling 3D speed runs similar to an F-Zero 64 track at times with shifting points of gravity and demanding camera control platforming. How does a developer pull this off after a simple pixel art 2D game? And why on Earth is this sitting at a Metacritic of 77%?

Best I can tell, the game is an unusually eclectic blend of genres, and that rubs some people the wrong way. For example, parts of the game are dreamy and strange, like a bizarre acid trip with limited difficulty and a higher focus on exploration across expansive environments. Then when you get to key destination points, you have to basically do a brief speed run platforming segment and they can get a little challenging if you're not used to complex 3D exploration and platforming. You have to really grasp where you are in a 3D space, the kind of thing you usually only experience in Mario or Zelda games. But you have to execute these segments like a speedrunner, similar to Neon White. You simply have to be okay with failing and then learning. You always have checkpoints near by for instant access to whatever section you're stuck on, but some sections took me 5-10 tries.

This is amplified on the bosses. The bosses emulate Shadow of the Colossus closely, but they feature a lot more intricate platforming. You're expected to nail tight speed running sections on the back of a giant enemy boss that really push your ability to grasp the course in 3D. If you can't play F-Zero 64, Mario 64, Gravity Rush, you probably don't need to play this. It's not like it's impossible or anything, but apparently most reviewers hated this. Read the reviews and they call it tedious and frustrating, but if you're someone that has experience with the old 3D platformers that were really pushing the envelope, you're probably going to absolutely love this. Just know it's not strict platforming on small platforms, it's more of a speed run over an open area where your basic movement is a smooth skating motion and your main moves are simply a boosting long jump, and a double jump.

Combat is simplistic but snappy and satisfying. Enemies are intelligently designed to tie the combat into the platforming and mobility at all times. Some enemies can only be hit in the back. Some enemies are snipers perched up on walls in difficult to reach spots. This means you have to complete demanding, small platforming sections to be able to reach them and attack.

Finally, the story is a little bit of a mixed bag. You have a few main side quests that are present throughout the game, and a core storyline shrouded in mystery. Most of the game I considered the story to be the main weak point of the game. However, at the end it really did come together in an extremely cool way that I felt was satisfying and interesting, culminating in a cool final boss as well if you follow what is happening at that point.

I really can't recommend the game enough. I can't even dock it points for the story. I can't really dock it points for anything, other than being potentially frustrating for people inexperienced for 3D platforming. For me it's either a 9.5 or a 10. It's way, way past Shadow of the Colossus for me, even though it is riding on their shoulders. The gameplay elements are just infinitely better. The art and level design are just so good. One level takes place in almost total darkness and it's designed well enough that it totally works and makes you again think in 3D to grasp some of the minor puzzle elements. The art design, music, and story all contribute a lot. This is literally one of the best "indie" games of all time, and one of my favorite 3D platformers of all time. When a lot of indies are still stuck on 2D metroidvania pixel art games, Heart Machine is just sooooooooooooooo far ahead. I could not be more interested in Hyper Light Breaker coming up, which is also 3D.

Is this on GamePass?

I admit I skipped it and didn't give it a chance because Hyper Light Drifter was one of the Indie titles that exemplified the whole style-over-substance thing for me.

If they managed to actually make a compelling game to go with their style...I'll give it a shot one day.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I admit I skipped it and didn't give it a chance because Hyper Light Drifter was one of the Indie titles that exemplified the whole style-over-substance thing for me.

If they managed to actually make a compelling game to go with their style...I'll give it a shot one day.
I had the exact same feelings on HLD. In my opinion they fixed that here to a shocking degree. Many critics and users apparently disagree with me so maybe you will too. I can see how the beginning can be off putting since it is so weird and unusual at first. It takes a little bit to click. And honestly I feel like they're almost having to make Hyper Light Breaker more simplistic from the footage I've seen so far because this is so far into the 3D camera control stuff that I think it alienated people that can't do it. It's really not impossibly difficult, but I think people could feel frustrated at a few spots for sure.

The way they lay out the worlds is really inspired by Gravity Rush.

Last edited:
I couldn't walk away from this game when it dropped on gamepass. The visuals, the music, the tone, the ending, how it feels to just move in general skating on clouds.. and to fight the big monsters.. goodness I loved every moment of it. Would love to see more from this team.

Last edited:
This game is great indeed! I just want a physical copy :(
Technically there was a physical release for the Switch... but it was very pricey (e.g. $200) since it was an entire collection of Annapurna games on the cart. Sucks though since imo it deserves its own physical release.

opHpxGG.png

Finally, the story is a little bit of a mixed bag.
You have a few main side quests that are present throughout the game, and a core storyline shrouded in mystery. Most of the game I considered the story to be the main weak point of the game. However, at the end it really did come together in an extremely cool way that I felt was satisfying and interesting, culminating in a cool final boss as well if you follow what is happening at that point.

latest

Interesting, Visually, it looks eye catching at the very least.

Last edited:

Roberts

I remember checking it out when it dropped on GP, played it for an hour or two, really enjoyed but I must have been playing something else at the time so I put it in my backlog and forgot about it. This inspired me to re-install it - I have been kind of tired of gaming lately and maybe this will be the right game to reignite the spark. A great write-up!

John Bilbo

I played the game on Gamepass for several hours. It has a nice atmosphere, but for a platformer the controls are way too floaty.

I might give it another chance someday.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
I played the game on Gamepass for several hours. It has a nice atmosphere, but for a platformer the controls are way too floaty.

I might give it another chance someday.
I recommend two things. 1) Boost jumps, 2) hitting back on the joystick works as brakes if you want to stop instantly.

Bartski

Gold Member
I stopped playing 3 or 4 "bosses" in... no reason I guess some other game released and I never picked this up again. Perhaps I should, it's pretty cool ngl

It doesn't necessarily look like my imagination of a black hole but floating rocks and structures is fine by me. The Gravity Rush mentiones and vibes though... I fought more with the (camera) controls themselves than with the enemies. Especially in 2, since the first one had more intuitive Vita controls. Also sounds a bit more like Sonic like movement?
But having no super stup...naive main character and pervy japanese "humor" like the Gravity games is probably a big plus.
You also mention SotC, which also has controls that were imho bordering unplayable in their original form and still rage inducing in the remake.
I don't think it was on Plus yet but if it appears there it gets on my list, but hardly top priority.

About to finish up the VR Max Mustard and will 3d platformer over to see what this Solar Ash is all about.

Combine this with Penny's Big Breakaway and I've been 3d platformering all year.

This was also recommended by Shuhei Yoshida so it must be great.

I can recommend The Pathless. That is truly an amazing game, for those who liked something like Journey or Abzu, its a huge upgrade.

Top Bottom