• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

505 Games parent company Digital Bros laying off 30% of global workforce As part of "organisational review"

digital-bros-logo.jpg

Digital Bros, the parent company of 505 Games and a number of other gaming subsidiaries, has announced an "organisational review" that'll see it lay off around 30 percent of its workforce.

As per its own recent figures, Digital Bros currently employs 442 people across the company, meaning its newly announced layoffs will likely impact around 130 workers globally.
The company says it's making the cuts after reviewing projects across its development studios and publishing units - which include 505, Assetto Corsa developer Kunos Simulazioni, Puzzle Quest studio Infinity Plus Two, and Terraria mobile developer DR Studios - in order to "align with the evolving competitive environment [and] ensure maximum operational efficiency."
"The videogame market has evolved since the pandemic to be more selective in terms of new games," Digital Bros wrote in a press release accompanying today's announcement of layoffs, "with consumers increasingly reverting to well established Intellectual Properties and playing these same games for longer periods."

Following its market assessment and sweeping job cuts, Digital Bros says it'll adopt a new strategy that'll see it focus on "sequels and new versions of previously successful and established games, with a limited number of new larger budgets productions."

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Yep that's the future. Only sequels and/or gaas.
No more place for new IP, single player normal games.
Proof? I got 200-300 dislikes just yesterday for making a post recommending to try forspoken on reddit after it got some patches past release.
Same with Immortals of Aveum and few other games.

How are we suppsoed to get new games... like for example Death Stranding, if gamers nowadays just don't want them? The signal is clear. Only gaas and only sequels sell.
Making new IP is impossible to predict. You can make great game but if it won't hit the mainstream, studio is dead.

Clearly there is no room for 7/10 games. And you know what? That's how uncharted franchise started. With a mid game... but that game had heart, it had something to expand on.
There would be no uncharted 2,3,4 if gamers didn't gave a chance to the first on.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Proof? I got 200-300 dislikes just yesterday for making a post recommending to try forspoken on reddit after it got some patches past release.

How are we suppsoed to get new games... like for example Death Stranding, if gamers nowadays just don't want them? The signal is clear. Only gaas and only sequels sell.
Making new IP is impossible to predict. You can make great game but if it won't hit the mainstream, studio is dead.

Clearly there is no room for 7/10 games. And you know what? That's how uncharted franchise started. With a mid game... but that game had heart, it had something to expand on.
There would be no uncharted 2,3,4 if gamers didn't gave a chance to the first on.
^This.

Problem is the cost of entry. For $70 people want their money's worth. They are also set in their ways. All this yet people say Gamepass is ruining gaming. My opinion is Gamepass has it's place for certain types of games. Games that need exposure. Putting a GTA 6 on gamepass does nothing for gaming. But putting Hollowknight on there definitely does. Putting Stellaris on there definite does. The games that most people wouldn't just go out and immediately buy because they aren't the games getting all the marketing. That's what will push devs to keep trying new things. Yet there are a lot of people who want subscription services to die. I just don't get it.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
^This.

Problem is the cost of entry. For $70 people want their money's worth. They are also set in their ways. All this yet people say Gamepass is ruining gaming. My opinion is Gamepass has it's place for certain types of games. Games that need exposure. Putting a GTA 6 on gamepass does nothing for gaming. But putting Hollowknight on there definitely does. Putting Stellaris on there definite does. The games that most people wouldn't just go out and immediately buy because they aren't the games getting all the marketing. That's what will push devs to keep trying new things. Yet there are a lot of people who want subscription services to die. I just don't get it.
Yes but also 70$ is nothing. How could 50-60$ work in 360/ps3 gen? People were buying new games in droves.
TONS of new IPs were created. From small games to big ones.
50$ from 2008 (3 years after ps3/360 gen approx), calculated with inflation is 73$ now.
60$ from 2008 is 87 usd now.

So games are cheaper now but people are poorer? Value expected is different? I don't know really.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
Costs too much to make games, so a company in any industry will be risk averse. Also, same goes for gamers. As games get more expensive they just stick to what they like. And popular genres are shooters and sports. And big giant games gives people their money's worth.

If you $100 and need to buy a new kitchen appliance are you going to check the net and buy a familiar product from a quality brand name? Or roll the dice on a quirky product from some niche brand youve never of before? I'm going with the first one.

Now if the stuff is $20 then maybe I'll try it. But not at $100 like a name brand.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Problem is the cost of entry. For $70 people want their money's worth.
This has always been an entitlement problem IMO, people deciding that for x amount of money they need to receive x amount of hours in return; nobody cares about that shit for movies, the cost of entry for watching LOTR EE is the same as 90 minute animated children's movie; the mentality that's part of the reason why videogames keep being viewed as trivial children's toys by the masses, your money's worth should simply be whether you had a good time with it, not if you can get a thousand hours out of it.
I remember buying Vanquish at launch for 60, finished it in one 5 hour session, for many that would mean it's a terrible game because "no money's worth of "hours"", yet I was completely satisfied.

I bought MK 11 premium edition for 30 bucks, refunded it because I didn't feel it was very good, even though it has infinite replay value.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member

Everyone shit on Aveum and honestly I don't know why (besides it being an EA game etc etc). For me it was a fun time, some exploration, cool magic based FPS action and it didn't overstay its welcome. It was just fun...and I have no issues recommending it.

Forespoken....as I have admitted many times, has the shit in it I love: Magic and pick up herbs/plants/rocks CONSTANTLY...also enjoyed my time with that game.

Folks expect a lot from a $70 game...but I think their expectations are out of whack.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.

Cut the bullshit, you can repeat it over and over it wont change those 2 games are mid at best. Maybe they should do good games? Because yes I played Forspoken and Immortal, they are both bad. You can like them, no problem with that but don't use them to make an argument "players don't buy single player games or new IP anymore" or whatever non sense. There is room for 7/10 games, but those 2 you choose are not 7/10. And I'm saying this as someone who loves 7/10 games like Just Cause.

I want games like the Arkham series, Mass Effect, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Bioshock, Witcher, Portal, Fable, F.E.A.R, Hitman, Ori, Doom, Deus Ex etc etc... They were all single-player games that sold gangbusters..
New IP or not, if a game is bad I wont buy it.

Everyone shit on Aveum and honestly I don't know why
Terrible art design (THE big turn off for me and many other), boring story, too much effects that make most of the fights unwatchable and OMG the game feel so slowwww. The puzzles are meh at best too. And I'm not even talking about performance/optimization.

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
Terrible art design (THE big turn off for me and many other), boring story, too much effects that make most of the fights unwatchable and OMG the game feel so slowwww. The puzzles are meh at best too. And I'm not even talking about performance/optimization.
Honestly...what is the last game you played? Couldn't these same comments be just as valid for a title you enjoyed?
For me, I really like the particle, effect heavy weapons and general "chaos"of the fights...but again that's just me and I can see why other folks wouldn't enjoy it.

BUT...I don't think "many others" is a moniker you can through around willy-nilly when you are sharing your opinion.

Jigsaah

Gold Member
Yes but also 70$ is nothing. How could 50-60$ work in 360/ps3 gen? People were buying new games in droves.
TONS of new IPs were created. From small games to big ones.
50$ from 2008 (3 years after ps3/360 gen approx), calculated with inflation is 73$ now.
60$ from 2008 is 87 usd now.

So games are cheaper now but people are poorer? Value expected is different? I don't know really.
I think it's a combination of those factors honestly. I don't think $70 alone is enough of a deterrent. People wanted value at $60 and $50 too. Hell, Neo Geo games were $100 a pop in the 90's. Point is, that expectation hasn't changed. Gamepass and by relation PS Premium, Games with Gold, PS+ monthly free games, Gamefly etc. has changed the expectations though for sure. Not just that though. Free to Play games also weighs on current expectations. Microtransactions, DLC...it all plays it's role. Remasters, Remakes push the needle in a specific direction too, not just on the players expectations but it provides a feedback loop for developers as well. Indie games, for the most part, remain innocent in this, but it's all a big melting pot that has brought us to where we are now.

I don't know if gamers are poorer...I think they just feel more entitled than ever. The time when a game released and that was that has long been over. The ability to patch and update games, coupled with the internet forums, reddit and social media mean devs have to listen constantly to their audience or risk irrelevancy. I'm not saying gamers shouldn't feel entitled. Games is a very unique industry in that I can't think of any other industry that is more at the beck and call of it's consumers. All this while attention span has grown shorter, delayed gratification is no longer a virtue, but an avoidable annoyance in today's society. And plenty of competition out there to get their own month or two of attention before gamers hunger for the next big thing.

Just the way things are right now I guess. But I'm with you 100%. If we want new IP, we gotta support the efforts of those willing to stick their neck out to produce them.

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
Cut the bullshit, you can repeat it over and over it wont change those 2 games are mid at best. Maybe they should do good games? Because yes I played Forspoken and Immortal, they are both bad. You can like them, no problem with that but don't use them to make an argument "players don't buy single player games or new IP anymore" or whatever non sense. There is room for 7/10 games, but those 2 you choose are not 7/10. And I'm saying this as someone who loves 7/10 games like Just Cause.

I want games like the Arkham series, Mass Effect, Prince of Persia, Splinter Cell, Bioshock, Witcher, Portal, Fable, F.E.A.R, Hitman, Ori, Doom, Deus Ex etc etc... They were all single-player games that sold gangbusters..
New IP or not, if a game is bad I wont buy it.

Fuck off will you? I am tired of hearing this shit. Cut the bs? You think I am faking liking this game? Are you crazy? I am supposed to start disliking something I like? No.

You don’t know what a bad game is if you think these are bad. This is not big rigs. These are decent fucking games.
There is a room for those games. Or at least there should be.

I swear gamers are so fucking toxic nowadays. Maybe this is self inflicted wound but IVE NEVER IN MY 20 years on the internet got so much hate as whole this year for saying that I like forspoken. The simples most normal 7/10 game created most hate I’ve ever seen over a video game. It is insane and I might be done with the fucking internet soon. I am so done and exhausted man.

In the 360 gen you had forapokens and you had mass effects. And everyone was happy.

Edit: very sorry for the outburst. Don’t take it personally

Last edited:

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I think it's a combination of those factors honestly. I don't think $70 alone is enough of a deterrent. People wanted value at $60 and $50 too. Hell, Neo Geo games were $100 a pop in the 90's. Point is, that expectation hasn't changed. Gamepass and by relation PS Premium, Games with Gold, PS+ monthly free games, Gamefly etc. has changed the expectations though for sure. Not just that though. Free to Play games also weighs on current expectations. Microtransactions, DLC...it all plays it's role. Remasters, Remakes push the needle in a specific direction too, not just on the players expectations but it provides a feedback loop for developers as well. Indie games, for the most part, remain innocent in this, but it's all a big melting pot that has brought us to where we are now.

I don't know if gamers are poorer...I think they just feel more entitled than ever. The time when a game released and that was that is long been over. The ability to patch and update games, coupled with the internet forums, reddit and social media mean devs have to listen constantly to their audience or risk irrelevancy. I'm not saying gamers shouldn't feel entitled. Games is a very unique industry in that I can't think of any other industry that is more at the beck and call of it's consumers. All this while attention span has grown shorter, delayed gratification is no longer a virtue, but an avoidable annoyance in today's society. And plenty of competition out there to get their own month or two of attention before gamers hunger for the next big thing.

Just the way things are right now I guess. But I'm with you 100%. If we want new IP, we gotta support the efforts of those willing to stick their neck out to produce them.
That’s perfectly said! I envy your rhetoric lol.
It must be the social media and Reddit mob or something turning people into overstimulated monsters. The late 90s and early 2000s internet was not like this. It was awesome and exciting. Hell, even 2008. Gta4 topic here on gaf. People excited exchanging game impressions. Now we will argue over pixels aliasing, 1fps difference and politics. I think I might just hate the internet now huh…. ;(

^This.

First off, I agree with you. But the issue is MS doesn't see GP as that kind of service. MS would need a major reset of expectations on the number of subscribers if GP became a service for those games you never heard of but may wanna try. Game maybe a gem in waiting, or a complete waste of your time. That's a pretty hard sell to be honest. Even with the lower costs running such a service, not sure the take up would ever make it profitable.

Going the AAA route and spending bucket loads on acquiring other companies to feed GP, well I'm not sure that would every make the money back either!

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This has always been an entitlement problem IMO, people deciding that for x amount of money they need to receive x amount of hours in return; nobody cares about that shit for movies, the cost of entry for watching LOTR EE is the same as 90 minute animated children's movie; the mentality that's part of the reason why videogames keep being viewed as trivial children's toys by the masses, your money's worth should simply be whether you had a good time with it, not if you can get a thousand hours out of it.
I remember buying Vanquish at launch for 60, finished it in one 5 hour session, for many that would mean it's a terrible game because "no money's worth of "hours"", yet I was completely satisfied.

I bought MK 11 premium edition for 30 bucks, refunded it because I didn't feel it was very good, even though it has infinite replay value.
That's because movies are all about 1.5 hours to 3 hours long. The range is small for all 10,000 movies ever released. And they are all the same price at theatres.

Now if a movie studio said for the price of a $15 ticket you get to watch 3 of their movies, instead of 1, you'll get a lot more viewers due to quantity. And it might set a trend for the future.

There's nothing wrong with people wanting value in gaming. I do too. You might enjoy spending $60 for 5 hour Vanquish. If I bought that I'd feel ripped off when for the same money I can play Fallout, COD or NHL and enjoy playing 100s of hours each at the same price.

The problem I see with people who dont like long games with lots of replayability is a common theme. "Who wants to play a crap game for a long time?" That assumes it's a bad game. What if it's a good game and 100 hours long?

A similar counter argument can be made for short games. What if that short game for $60 eds up also being bad? Now you got a bad game that is also short. Ultimate rip off.

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
First off, I agree with you. But the issue is MS doesn't see GP as that kind of service. MS would need a major reset of expectations on the number of subscribers if GP became a service for those games you never heard of but may wanna try. Game maybe a gem in waiting, or a complete waste of your time. That's a pretty hard sell to be honest. Even with the lower costs running such a service, not sure the take up would ever make it profitable.

Going the AAA route and spending bucket loads on acquiring other companies to feed GP, well I'm not sure that would every make the money back either!
Pardon the bad metaphor but I think that as all things do, things tend to fall towards chaos if not upheld by an orderly force. In this example, Gamepass is chaos...people subscribing is the orderly force a way of maintaining said chaos. Eventually, things will come to a head and either side will prevail. Mind you, I'm not saying chaos is a bad thing. Chaos/Entropy is the way of the universe...it's part of the balance and is inevitable.

If Xbox Gamepass subs fall apart, the change in expectations will surely follow. But I can only speak what keeps me subscribing since day 1.
- Day 1 Xbox Exclusives...a given
- Finding hidden gems I didn't know existed (favorite so far is Stellaris)
- Keeps me from double dipping on PC (eg. Death Stranding, already purchased on PS4)
- Saves me from pulling the trigger on games I'm unsure of (Remnant from the Ashes, Sea of Stars good examples)
- Discounts on games I want to purchase after playing them, so I can have them when they leave
- Rewards points I can use to get peripherals or extra subbed months
- Perks for Free to Play games (unlocks all characters for Valorant without having to pay for or unlock through their point system)
- This all for $120 a year (I subscribe to PC gamepass only)

So when you say that Gamepass is not a service that helps games get exposure...that has not been my experience. I pretty much have my ear to the ground far as game releases go for the big 3 and PC. So if you imagine me being able to find gems...think of the average gamer who doesn't pay as much attention as I do.

That being said, I think the reckoning will come in the form that their output in both quality and quantity of games may hit a wall, to the point that they may need to compromise on one or the other.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
Now if a movie studio said for the price of a $15 ticket you get to watch 3 of their movies, instead of 1, you'll get a lot more viewers due to quantity.
of course, it's not a secret people constantly want free shit, not sure what you're trying to say here, the value should still be what you got out of it, not if you get to watch 3 terrible movies for the price of one; as said I paid less for MK11 then I did for vanquish and it still wasn't worth it because the game isn't very good, I'd buy more expensive but shorter game over cheaper but longer game every time if the shorter game has the better experience.

If I bought that I'd feel ripped off when for the same money I can play Fallout, COD or NHL and enjoy playing 100s of hours each at the same price.
And that's exactly the problem, if you had a great time there's no way you should ever feel "ripped off", it's that mentality that will keep games stuck as children's toys forever, especially with the sports games which are just the same shit every year.

KyoZz

Tag, you're it.
Honestly...what is the last game you played? Couldn't these same comments be just as valid for a title you enjoyed?
Recently, in the range of 7/10 games I played stuff like Orc Must Die 3, BeamNG, SnowRunner, Shredders, DBZ Kakarot, The Outer World, The Quarry, Sniper Elite 5 and probably some more.
The difference is that I don't spam these games in every thread saying they didn't deserve their fate. Because those are actual 7/10 fun games, no masterpiece but fun. Immortal and Forspoken are just... not good imo but again, nothing wrong if you had a good time!

BUT...I don't think "many others" is a moniker you can through around willy-nilly when you are sharing your opinion.
Because we're talking about a general consensus, and the general consensus of these 2 games is that they're not good.

Fuck off will you? I am tired of hearing this shit. Cut the bs? You think I am faking liking this game? Are you crazy? I am supposed to start disliking something I like? No.
What I criticize is that you use these two games as an argument of authority to say: players don't like new IPs blablabla, 7/10 games (more bullshit, yeah I'm saying it)
Again, it's ok if you like those games, you can share your opinion and whatever. But don't use them to make this argument.

You don’t know what a bad game is if you think these are bad. This is not big rigs. These are decent fucking games.
There is a room for those games. Or at least there should be.
Here we are. "I know better than you". Sorry but no, I've been gaming for more than 25 years almost daily so I'd say I have a little bit of knowledge. And I don't play only 9/10 games and big AAA, one of my best experience is Just Cause which I install from time to time because I just love it and even JC2 multiplayer is dumb fun. This series is the perfect definition of a 7/10 game, I think we can agree on that. Again there is room for 7/10 games, I named some just on top of my head. It's just that Forspoken and Immortal are not as good as you think they are. And again you can like them, IT'S FINE!

I swear gamers are so fucking toxic nowadays. Maybe this is self inflicted wound but IVE NEVER IN MY 20 years on the internet got so much hate as whole this year for saying that I like forspoken. The simples most normal 7/10 game created most hate I’ve ever seen over a video game. It is insane and I might be done with the fucking internet soon. I am so done and exhausted man.
Problem is you try to shovel your opinion to other in any thread that talk about (or not, like here) those 2 and defend them to a point that is laughable for real. Almost like you are on a crusade. Now of course I join you on the "everything is taken out of proportion nowadays". But it is how it is and plenty of 7/10 games are still very successful.

In the 360 gen you had forapokens and you had mass effects. And everyone was happy.
There still is.

Edit: very sorry for the outburst. Don’t take it personally
Oh don't be, I'm not a little bitch, console warrior closed to the discussion and we all are passionate gamers with our opinion. I respect that 100%. I just didn't liked how you used those 2 games that I found honestly bad to follow with "new IPs are not allowed" or whatever.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
of course, it's not a secret people constantly want free shit, not sure what you're trying to say here, the value should still be what you got out of it, not if you get to watch 3 terrible movies for the price of one; as said I paid less for MK11 then I did for vanquish and it still wasn't worth it because the game isn't very good, I'd buy more expensive but shorter game over cheaper but longer game every time if the shorter game has the better experience.

And that's exactly the problem, if you had a great time there's no way you should ever feel "ripped off", it's that mentality that will keep games stuck as children's toys forever, especially with the sports games which are just the same shit every year.
Thats where you and most gamers differ. The trend is people playing quality games that have lots of content or replayability. Its no different than any other industry. People will gravitate to products that hit that magical sweet spot of price/quality/value.

If I bought a microwave for $150 and it works great for 2 years than breaks, thats zero value to me when I can buy a better brand and pay $150 for 10 years or more even though it heats the food the same.

Costco is a good example. For the same price as buying at a normal grocery store you can get more of the same thing. I could buy 3 cans of chili at a grocery store, or for the same price and same thing buy a 6 pack at Costco. People love value. Thats why Costco is growing like crazy.

As I said in my post, youre assumption is a big game is bad. But what if a big game is also great? Thats good value to me. And in life, people like to compare vs other things.... (ie. good long game vs good short game at the same price).

Last edited:

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
If I bought a microwave for $150 and it works great for 2 years than breaks, thats zero value to me when I can buy a better brand and pay $150 for 10 years or more even though it heats the food the same.
not a good comparison, the microwave is a uniform experience, so its easy to judge one product being better than another, you can't really do the same with say NHL and Nier automata because they are two completely different experiences, however to pick NHL over and over again every year, instead of a new and unique experience with Nier, because it you'll spend hundreds of hours on NHL, for the same price, is just silly, myopic and just plain entitled. Now if you don't like Nier or games like it, that's fine, just like people who don't like scary movies will value them little if at all, but the value proposition shouldn't never bank solely on how many hours you'll get in return, because the experiences aren't created equal.
As I said in my post, youre assumption is a big game is bad.
I never said this, or made this assumption, of course a game can be gigantic and also great, but that would just be a unique quality of said game and doesn't mean a shorter game can't offer a greater experience either, but this is lost on people who blindly stare at the amount of hours returned.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
not a good comparison, the microwave is a uniform experience, so its easy to judge one product being better than another, you can't really do the same with say NHL and Nier automata because they are two completely different experiences, however to pick NHL over and over again every year, instead of a new and unique experience with Nier, because it you'll spend hundreds of hours on NHL, for the same price, is just silly, myopic and just plain entitled. Now if you don't like Nier or games like it, that's fine, just like people who don't like scary movies will value them little if at all, but the value proposition shouldn't never bank solely on how many hours you'll get in return, because the experiences aren't created equal.

I never said this, or made this assumption, of course a game can be gigantic and also great, but that would just be a unique quality of said game and doesn't mean a shorter game can't offer a greater experience either, but this is lost on people who blindly stare at the amount of hours returned.
See again, you are trying to label your preference for short games over games with replayability and content. I'll take NHL over any Vanquish or Nier. Not only are some of my fav franchises like COD, Diablo and NHL quality games (usually), but they also arent shelved or sold after beating it over a weekend.

As for large quality games, that's what you are facing. And why a lot of those kinds of games you like are disappearing.

A lot of the best selling games are quality games, have tons of content, tons of modes and MP and the same price as when Vanquish or Nier launched. Most gamers will buy COD or FIFA or sink time into F2P Fortnite. If they are still interested in short games, they'll wait for it to hit $14.99 on a 75% off deal. Thats because they have low value.

You might not care about value for the money, but most gamers do. I never said short games are bad. I'll just wait for them to be $9.99 or on sub plan.

Games at $70 (or F2P too I guess) which are quality games with lots of meat in them are the new benchmark most gamers compare against.

Reizo Ryuu

Gold Member
See again, you are trying to label your preference for short games over games with replayability and content
..Where? Maybe you're just blind because I never said so, I said a shorter game can offer a greater experience than a longer one, just that if you blindly stare at the amount of hours returned won't ever see this.
have tons of content, tons of modes and MP and the same price as when Vanquish or Nier launched.
This is another misnomer, playing the same handful of maps isn't "tons of content", it's the same content with high replayability.
I'll just wait for them to be $9.99 or on sub plan.
And then people complain why IPs are vaulted and not used, yeah it didn't sell because someone decided to buy another copy of their iterative sports game instead. This is why the value proposition based solely on hours returned is nonsense.

You might not care about value for the money
..lol, this says it all really, I think we're done here; good day.

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
..lol, this says it all really, I think we're done here; good day.
Thats fine.

You dont understand that games in modern day have amped up quality and content and replayability. That's why the majority of the biggest selling and played games are all the popular hits people keep playing. So youre not really debating with me. Youre debating against the gamers in general.

The games you like with 5 hour unique experiences like Nier and Vanquish arent the types of games people buy now. They are disappearing. You'll get indie devs giving it shot, but this isnt the PS2 or 360 era where lots of those kinds of games existed.

Now if those games you like want a better shot at sales and people playing them, make them into a 30 or 40 hour game. Its the same $60 or $70 as other games. So instead of 5 hours, add more content like other games.

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
I swear, one game company announces lay off and immediately other 15 follow suit. The one thing I wish developer didn't copy each other.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I swear, one game company announces lay off and immediately other 15 follow suit. The one thing I wish developer didn't copy each other.
Or amped with tons of employees during the covid craze.

Game development seems so different now. Tons of people and costs. Whereas decades ago you could get by with teams a fraction of the resources and budget. So if the sales and profits arent there, you got to do what other companies do in other industries: Raise the price and/or cut back on the products that arent worth the hassle or resources. And when you cut back on products, the company probably cuts back on people too.

My company does that. raise prices sicne covid spike interest rates and we've axed entire product lines that stink financially. Focus on the winners.

Someone might think that sucks because game companies will just keep making similar kinds of games. But hey, if thats what gamers want and that pays the bills then whose to say their tastes stink? They want quality familiar games. Not unknown stuff which might end up being a rip off for $70.

When it gets to perhaps $40 or 50 for anything in life (that's my wild guess), I think most people think about it to see if it's worth the risk. Now if it's a $10 lunch combo I think just about anyone will try new stuff because youre buying lunch anyway and one fast food joint vs another might not be that much of a difference, so who cares about $10. But at $50 that's different. And $70 even more so.

Give it another 5 years, we'll get to $80 US. Might even get $80 earlier than that.

Last edited:

justiceiro

Marlboro: Other M
Or amped with tons of employees during the covid craze.

Game development seems so different now. Tons of people and costs. Whereas decades ago you could get by with teams a fraction of the resources and budget. So if the sales and profits arent there, you got to do what other companies do in other industries: Raise the price and/or cut back on the products that arent worth the hassle or resources. And when you cut back on products, the company probably cuts back on people too.

My company does that. raise prices sicne covid spike interest rates and we've axed entire product lines that stink financially. Focus on the winners.

Someone might think that sucks because game companies will just keep making similar kinds of games. But hey, if thats what gamers want and that pays the bills then whose to say their tastes stink? They want quality familiar games. Not unknown stuff which might end up being a rip off for $70.

When it gets to perhaps $40 or 50 for anything in life (that's my wild guess), I think most people think about it to see if it's worth the risk. Now if it's a $10 lunch combo I think just about anyone will try new stuff because youre buying lunch anyway and one fast food joint vs another might not be that much of a difference, so who cares about $10. But at $50 that's different. And $70 even more so.

Give it another 5 years, we'll get to $80 US. Might even get $80 earlier than that.
This is also a reflection on the lack of strategy those companies have overall. They hire when they can, and fire when it's convenient. They don't have a plan to break into a new market or genre or audience, they are simply hoping what they have work without theirs input.

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
This year has proved that singleplayer games still thrive and are still incredibly worth making. The fact that somehow the industry looks at Spider-man 2 or Alan Wake 2 or Talos principle 2 or Baldurs Gate 3 or whatever and are like yeah "sp is dead" is just fucking moronic.

FeralEcho

Yup....when even a big name success like Hogwarts Legacy doesn't deter WB from going all in on GAAS multiplayer garbage you know we're fucked.

Porticus

Yup....when even a big name success like Hogwarts Legacy doesn't deter WB from going all in on GAAS multiplayer garbage you know we're fucked.

Why it should deter WB from GAAS games? Money are never enough, plus Hogwarts has attached the HP brand to itself so you can't expect a Gotham Knight SP selling bonkers even if it was good to begin with.

FeralEcho

Why it should deter WB from GAAS games? Money are never enough, plus Hogwarts has attached the HP brand to itself so you can't expect a Gotham Knight SP selling bonkers even if it was good to begin with.
That's my point....if even fucking Harry Potter doesn't make them reconsider their stance on Singleplayer games then that's it,nothing will.

MikeM

In today’s world, demanding $70 for a mid game is asking for failure. Time for companies to understand that wallets are tighter than they have been in a long time. Adjust pricing on release, and release games that function properly, otherwise fail.

Evil Calvin

Afraid of Boobs

I've been harping on this trend for a few years now. Just look at the top releases this year and next. Very few new IP's/ Basically all sequels, reboots, spin-offs remasters or remakes. Eventually they will run out of IP's to rehash. Heck even FF16, Diablo 4, COD BO3, and others all ended up being pretty mediocre. Publisher expectations and wanting $$$ NOW!! is ruining the creative experience. Indies will thrive cut the AA space needs to grow. AAA is pretty much a soul-less void going forward.

I'm not saying I disagree with you. I think we need more risk taking in this industry, but at the same time, devs should understand at this point that new IPs are risky. As such, devs and publishers should therefore budget themselves accordingly. Budget yourself to break even at, I don't know, a quarter million sales. That way you can make sure you stay in business and if your new IP is a surprise hit, it's a ton of profit.

I always point towards Remedy as a good example of a dev understanding the general size of their audience and the risk of their distinctly non-mainstream games. Conversely, Arkane is an example of the opposite, a studio that doesn't understand they make a niche product and therefore spend way too much time and money developing said product.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I'm not saying I disagree with you. I think we need more risk taking in this industry, but at the same time, devs should understand at this point that new IPs are risky. As such, devs and publishers should therefore budget themselves accordingly. Budget yourself to break even at, I don't know, a quarter million sales. That way you can make sure you stay in business and if your new IP is a surprise hit, it's a ton of profit.

I always point towards Remedy as a good example of a dev understanding the general size of their audience and the risk of their distinctly non-mainstream games. Conversely, Arkane is an example of the opposite, a studio that doesn't understand they make a niche product and therefore spend way too much time and money developing said product.
Historically, gaming companies werent that profitable. Maybe Nintendo was always a big money maker with consoles and handhelds as a combo, but even if you went back 10 years, even the big third party companies barely made money.

But when mtx, gaas and digital sold hard as gamers eat it up, profits jumped through the roof with most big companies at record sales/profits (or pretty close to it coming off covid years).

Now that they got a taste of big profits, they are reluctant to give it up. So it's sequelitis. But to be fair, if thats what gamers want, why rock the boat too much? If all the big popular gaas games fizzle out, thats when studios will try lots of new things.

As for any studio like Arkane (assuming they spend a lot and dont get great sales or profits), that's simply out of hand spending. There are times it's important to do that.... like if a company needs some halo/image kinds of products where the company will take a slap for sake of branding and strategy (my company has done it's share of clunker products for sake of great overarching package deals), but I dont see gaming this way where a studio like Arkane holds a mighty torch to carry the rest of any gaming company, so just let them do what they want for the greater good.

Last edited:

ungalo

I hear you, but i also think those who questioned the quality of said games are right.

I'm a sucker for new IPs, made me buy Callisto Protocol despite reviews + not even being sold on the game after the trailers. Really only because it was a new survival horror IP by a new studio, i bought the game. It's not terrible but it feels like a step back.

Same for Wild Hearts, i bought it because it seemed ambitious for the studio and a decent competitor to MH. And EA seemed for once invested in financing interesting games. But i didn't have a great time.

Honestly it was always a problem, because when EA was making Dead Space and Mirror's Edge 15 years ago, they were losing money already. It's nothing new. But at least, at least the games were fucking good, so there was something to be frustrated about.

But those new IPs we get now ? Don't get angry but i found them to be average at best. I can understand you liking Forspoken though.

rofif

Can’t Git Gud
I hear you, but i also think those who questioned the quality of said games are right.

I'm a sucker for new IPs, made me buy Callisto Protocol despite reviews + not even being sold on the game after the trailers. Really only because it was a new survival horror IP by a new studio, i bought the game. It's not terrible but it feels like a step back.

Same for Wild Hearts, i bought it because it seemed ambitious for the studio and a decent competitor to MH. And EA seemed for once invested in financing interesting games. But i didn't have a great time.

Honestly it was always a problem, because when EA was making Dead Space and Mirror's Edge 15 years ago, they were losing money already. It's nothing new. But at least, at least the games were fucking good, so there was something to be frustrated about.

But those new IPs we get now ? Don't get angry but i found them to be average at best. I can understand you liking Forspoken though.
Well yeah of course. That’s why these games are 7/10, maybe max 8 for the fans. But I still think the amount of fun and potential franchise starter power is there for some of these titles. Obviously not forspoken lol but maybe some other games

Jigsaah

Gold Member
This might be the bad side of my brain talking but....what if there was a law that in order for companies to lay off workers, the execs had to take a paycut as well, given the reason for layoffs is cost cutting? The recent layoffs are getting ridiculous, particularly in Bungie's situation

Let's say a company has 100 employees, a CEO, CFO and COO (title doesn't matter, 3 execs 100 employees).

- Let's say each employee makes 50k a year.
- You propose to cut 20 employees to save 1million dollars a year (50k x 20 = 1 million dollars).
- Let's say the execs make 1 million dollars a year each themselves for the sake of easy math (salary doesn't matter really, just the principle).

So in this hypothetical situation, the law would say in order to make those layoffs, the execs would have to match a percentage of that cost cutting goal.

- Let's go with 50% of the cost cutting goal needs to come from the execs' salaries.
- The math works out to be that the CEO, CFO and COO would need to take $166,666.67 dollar paycuts (50% of 1mil is 500k. 500k/3 = $166,666.67) to justify laying off at maximum 20 employees.
- Mind you, this means the goal can be met by cutting only half of the original number of proposed layoffs (10 x 50k is the other 500k).

This does quite a few things.
- It ensures that responsibility is not only on the employees for failing to meet company financial goals.
- It deters rampant layoffs even when companies are reporting record profits.
- It keeps investors happy for at least that year. Investors love cost cutting measures.
- It potentially can reduce the number of people needed to be laid off

This is just off the cuff. Obviously there are more intricacies to be worked out. How do you enforce this? What happens if the execs make up the loss in salary in bonuses or stocks? Probably would require reporting of intent to layoff people to the government. It would not work unless it was federal law. There would have to be some type of stipulation to defend against loopholes and such.

Bad brain....bad.....no...............no

Last edited:

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
This might be the bad side of my brain talking but....what if there was a law that in order for companies to lay off workers, the execs had to take a paycut as well, given the reason for layoffs is cost cutting? The recent layoffs are getting ridiculous, particularly in Bungie's situation

Let's say a company has 100 employees, a CEO, CFO and COO (title doesn't matter, 3 execs 100 employees).

- Let's say each employee makes 50k a year.
- You propose to cut 20 employees to save 1million dollars a year (50k x 20 = 1 million dollars).
- Let's say the execs make 1 million dollars a year each themselves for the sake of easy math (salary doesn't matter really, just the principle).

So in this hypothetical situation, the law would say in order to make those layoffs, the execs would have to match a percentage of that cost cutting goal.

- Let's go with 50% of the cost cutting goal needs to come from the execs' salaries.
- The math works out to be that the CEO, CFO and COO would need to take $166,666.67 dollar paycuts (50% of 1mil is 500k. 500k/3 = $166,666.67) to justify laying off at maximum 20 employees.
- Mind you, this means the goal can be met by cutting only half of the original number of proposed layoffs (10 x 50k is the other 500k).

This does quite a few things.
- It ensures that responsibility is not only on the employees for failing to meet company financial goals.
- It deters rampant layoffs even when companies are reporting record profits.
- It keeps investors happy for at least that year. Investors love cost cutting measures.
- It potentially can reduce the number of people needed to be laid off

This is just off the cuff. Obviously there are more intricacies to be worked out. How do you enforce this? What happens if the execs make up the loss in salary in bonuses or stocks? Probably would require reporting of intent to layoff people to the government. It would not work unless it was federal law. There would have to be some type of stipulation to defend against loopholes and such.

Bad brain....bad.....no...............no
If you do something like that, every CEO, VP and hiring manager would hire hardly any employees and run the entire company with overworked skeleton crews who'll never get fired.

The reason why so many tech companies are laying off people last year or two is because so many of them hired like crazy during covid where they added tons of jobs giving people work and a pay stub. It's now normalized. Many other industries werent like this as they just rode out covid with normal amounts of people.

For the big tech companies who people track hiring and firing, the number of layoffs is a fraction of the total new people they hired.

If execs should get a pay cut for layoffs, then where there's hiring sprees they should get pay boosts?

Last edited:

Jigsaah

Gold Member
If you something like that, every CEO, VP and hiring manager would hire hardly any employees and run the entire company with overworked skeleton crews who'll never get fired.

The reason why so many tech companies are laying off people last year or two is because so many of them hired like crazy during covid where they added tons of jobs giving people work and a pay stub. It's now normalized. Many other industries werent like this as they just rode out covid with the amounts of people.

For the big tech companies who people track hiring and firing, the number of layoffs is a fraction of the total new people they hired.

If execs should get a pay cut for layoffs, then where there's hiring sprees they should get pay boosts?
Maybe. I think it would be more of a risk management strat. I would also think the law would apply to company of a certain size within reason. I think my aim in thinking up this imaginary law is more to make sure execs are at least somewhat responsible for the mistakes they make. Likewise, I would like to see bonuses for maintaining certain levels of employment. Hiring alone wouldn't work because then there would be arbitrary hiring. That's a good point you make. It should go both ways. reward good behavior and accountability. Punish greed and the dodging of responsibility.

Last edited:
Top Bottom