• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

720p TV roundup

almsot 2 years ago i bought the Sony KP57WS510....this is good to go for next gen gaming right?

Good but not optimal (it's likely that lots of games will use 720p frame buffers). Just configure your console for 1080i without 720p so that the system, not your set, does the video conversion. You might some some moire, additional aliasing, and other artifacts but it's probably still going to look pretty good.

Kleegamefan

K. LEE GAIDEN
Nerevar said:
:lol

it's the sure-fire HDTV thread derailment tool.

Back to the 1080p questions, does HDMI being limited to 1080p/30 mean that you're never going to see a 1080p game at 60 fps in the coming generation? That'll sure rile the fanboys up.

HDMI 1.2 interconnects support full 1080p/60fps.....Silicon Optics have 2 different reciever/transmitter chipsets that support that resolution/framerate...

Have no fear:)
There's at least one new Samsung that can accept 60hz 1920x1080p over VGA.

Yeah, all the Sammy HLRxxx8 (8 different models) and the Mitsubishi 1080p DLPs (3, I think) can accept 1080p/60 via VGA....

At the moment that doesn't help us much because the console with VGA out (X360) only does 720p and the one that *does* do 1080p (PS3) will only do it via HDMI :/

nitewulf

SnowWolf said:
So should we be looking at LCDs or CRTs? I know pretty much nothing about HD :(
LCDs are mainly for the "cool" factor. and they are also very light, compared to CRT counterparts. a 30" LCD takes WAY less space than a 30" CRT. but LCDs have a lag issue, and the picture is of inferior quality than CRTs. in fact CRTs still have the best quality out of all the techs.
so basically here is the thing:
you got rear porjection TVs using LCD and DLP technologies . but these TVs need to change the projector bulb after a while. and the bulbs are expensive.
you got regular LCD and Plasma, the "flat" TVs. Plasmas have a lmited lifespan, as the screen gets less bright after a certain amount of time (2/3 years). and LCDs have a lifespan of about 60,000 hours.
then you got CRTs, your plain old tube technology. the only problem with these is they are expensive as hell if you try to get bgger than 34" sizes, and also they get very, very bulky.
so you need to have a few things in consideration. lifespan, size of unit, picture quality.
if lifespan is an issue, ie, you want it to last 10 years, go for a CRT. if size is an issue, but lifespan isnt go for an LCD/Plasma. but they get expensive for bigger sized screens, so if you want a huge screen...but lifespan isnt an issue, go for the rear projectors.
for next gen...keep in mind, buy widescreen (16:9) and with digital connections (HDMI/DVI). some of these tvs are HDTV "ready", as in they'd need a box to actually grab HDTV channels, and some have integrated tuners, which will grab HDTV statiosn off the air with an antenna, like your old tvs. not a big issue really, since digital cable is so widespread.
anyway, hope that helps.

HDMI 1.2 interconnects support full 1080p/60fps.....Silicon Optics have 2 different reciever/transmitter chipsets that support that resolution/framerate...

Has Sony committed to using HDMI 1.2 in PS3? What current and announced sets support 1.2?

You know the next step in all this HDTV junk is for manufacturers to start calibrating their sets properly. Even the WEGA's have dirty Reds and Greens and some have Velocity Scan Modulation turned on in the Service menu settings even if you turn it off in the menu settings.
Then there is geometry, saturation, black levels, and a few other things that need to be adjusted.

My calibrated TV running in 480i looks better than some non calibrated TVs running in 720p.
And no, I'm not exagerating. 720p with bad geometry, incorrect saturation and black levels, screen bounce, velocity scan modulation, etc, etc...just looks teh crap.

KingJ2002

nitewulf said:
LCDs are mainly for the "cool" factor. and they are also very light, compared to CRT counterparts. a 30" LCD takes WAY less space than a 30" CRT. but LCDs have a lag issue, and the picture is of inferior quality than CRTs. in fact CRTs still have the best quality out of all the techs.
you got rear porjection TVs using LCD and DLP technologies . but these TVs need to change the projector bulb after a while. and the bulbs are expensive.
you got regular LCD and Plasma, the "flat" TVs. Plasmas have a lmited lifespan, as the screen gets less bright after a certain amount of time (2/3 years). and LCDs have a lifespan of about 60,000 hours.
then you got CRTs, your plain old tube technology. the only problem with these is they are expensive as hell if you try to get bgger than 34" sizes, and also they get very, very bulky.
so you need to have a few things in consideration. lifespan, size of unit, picture quality.
if lifespan is an issue, ie, you want it to last 10 years, go for a CRT. if size is an issue, but lifespan isnt go for an LCD/Plasma. but they get expensive for bigger sized screens, so if you want a huge screen...but lifespan isnt an issue, go for the rear projectors.
for next gen...keep in mind, buy widescreen (16:9) and with digital connections (HDMI/DVI). some of these tvs are HDTV "ready", as in they'd need a box to actually grab HDTV channels, and some have integrated tuners, which will grab HDTV statiosn off the air with an antenna, like your old tvs. not a big issue really, since digital cable is so widespread.
anyway, hope that helps.

So if I were to pick up that flat screen samsung lcd tv that microsoft was handing out... i would be sacrificing life span for quality... well... considering my normal CRT's didnt last for more than 5 years w/out fucking up i guess i wont sweat this

i dont want bulky CRT cause... they are bulky and ugly. thanks for the advice

Baron Aloha

A Shining Example
KLee...

I'm looking for a 50+ inch Plasma or an LCD that can output in 480p, 720p, and 1080p (for Rev, X360, and PS3). And by 480p, 720p, and 1080p I mean the true resolutions (I read a while ago that sometimes when a TV says 720p or whatever that it isn't TRULY 720p). Oh, and I want the HD tuner integrated into the unit so that I won't have to hook up a box or anything like that.

Does such a TV exist? What do you recommend?

And which do you prefer for gaming? Plasma or LCD? I know that there are benefits to each one (LCD is burn in proof and lasts longer, Plasma has more vibrant colors). The only reason I am even considering a Plasma atm is because the colors just look so much better to me than an LCD. They just pop off the screen. But then again the colors fade over time. Do the colors ever fade to the point where they are worse than an LCD? Also, some LCDs I've seen have lag and that really bugs me.

I'm looking for a 50+ inch Plasma or an LCD that can output in 480p, 720p, and 1080p (for Rev, X360, and PS3). And by 480p, 720p, and 1080p I mean the true resolutions (I read a while ago that sometimes when a TV says 720p or whatever that it isn't TRULY 720p). Oh, and I want the HD tuner integrated into the unit so that I won't have to hook up a box or anything like that.

With plasma, you have to go up to the 70-80" range to resolve a 1920x1080 image. You should check out this one. Of course, it doesn't take a 1080p input, and will scale everything up to 1200 vertical resolution.

If you want a true 1920x1080p plasma panel with a 1080p input, you're probably out of luck at the moment.

What's your budget right now? $50,000? $75,000? That's a lot of money when you consider that your set will probably depreciate 75% in the first two years and by then new cheaper sets will be out with better black level, contrast, longevity, etc.

It would be pretty wild to own a TV that depreciated $350 or so every week.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
What's the estimated lifespan for a LCD TV?

Anybody know of CTR HDTVs available *in Europe* that support up to 1080p? As far as I know there are none.

Kiriku

SWEDISH PERFECTION
I'm probably gonna pick up a plasma TV, I saw a 32" lcd next to a 42" plasma in a store, and it looked small. :|
Also, plasma generally seems to have the better image quality with no ghosting and good contrast...and also isn't made for a specific resolution like lcd screens (I think?).

And I'm no too worried about the lifespan of a plasma...I've heard it's pretty much a non-issue nowadays (ie it last for 8-10 years during normal circumstances), unless you have the TV on 24/7.

Only problem for me is the high price for a decent plasma tv. :/

AirBrian

nitewulf said:
anyway, hope that helps.
Thanks for the info. I plan on spending ~$2K next spring...I wonder how much prices will go down from now until then.

So how reliable are DLPs? How often do the mirrors screw-up and are they expensive to repair?

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kleegamefan said:

Have no fear:)

They're revamping HDMI already?! :lol

Will HDMI 1.2 be backwards compatible with current HDMI inputs (i.e. are they adding any new encryption standards that won't be supported in the current HDMI spec)? If not, I'm not going to be happy camper ...

Nerevar

they call me "Man Gravy".
Kiriku said:
OK, so how good are plasmas at upscaling and, more importantly, downscaling in general?

That depends entirely on the scaler built into the TV. Some are better than others. Any fixed-pixel display (which will include carbon nanotube TVs when those come out, so don't think they will display 480i content any better than other TVs) has to scale the output to match it's native resolution with an internal chip. You'll just have to cull the reviews to find which ones do it better.

TTP

Have a fun! Enjoy!
Now that I think of it, should I wait for the OLED tech? Damn, I think I'll wait for the next Samsung OLED based screens.

Top Bottom