• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

8bido Releasing an Officially Licensed Wireless Neo Geo Contoller

00_Zer0

Looks like 8bitdo is including the original clicky pad design along with the benefits of 2.4 Ghz wireless and a decent price of around $35.00. If you want one with a KOF character on it It will cost around $40. Other features include being compatible with Neo Geo mini, usb c rechargeable controller, with ability play with it wired as well.

Stolen from 8bitdo website:

A perfect recreation of the original SNK NEOGEO controller. For the first time.
We spent 3 years redesigning in house from the ground up.
Featuring the iconic classic click-style joystick.
Bluetooth. 2.4G. Wired.
Compatible with Windows, Android, and NEOGEO mini.
Officially licensed by SNK.

Preorder:

8Bitdo NEOGEO Wireless Controller for Windows, Android, and NEOGEO mini with Classic Click-Style Joystick - Officially Licensed by SNK (Black Edition) https://a.co/d/44aSEzc
tf9BX2D.jpg
9JU4Ysr.jpg

Last edited:

Miyazaki’s Slave

Gold Member
As someone buys a ton of peripherals I go over board on these stuff and usually pick up one of each.

BUT....let me complain about a few things:
1) Pixelated fire compared to the "smeared"/smoothed character art is not great. Maybe its not final.
2) Having character art applied to the side of the controller, where it will be held in the palm of your hand and getting all "rubbed on" (in a non-thirsty way), is a terrible call.

iDtVf4q.png

If you are like me you probably will just put them in a box somewhere and never let flesh touch them ANYWAY....

Lynkk

As someone buys a ton of peripherals I go over board on these stuff and usually pick up one of each.

BUT....let me complain about a few things:
1) Pixelated fire compared to the "smeared"/smoothed character art is not great. Maybe its not final.
2) Having character art applied to the side of the controller, where it will be held in the palm of your hand and getting all "rubbed on" (in a non-thirsty way), is a terrible call.

iDtVf4q.png

If you are like me you probably will just put them in a box somewhere and never let flesh touch them ANYWAY....
You don't like boobies?

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
I think I’ll get one of these to use for arcade fighting games on MiSTer.

Ozzie666

You can't help but think there is something brewing for their next FPGA device(s). Either combined with the DUO for Neo CD support (rumors), or maybe an Analogue Neo system that supports cartridges for for both AES and MVS and CD. I would love for them to make a traditional Neo Geo stick controller in the same vein. Very happy with Mega Sg, Super NT and Pocket products.

I wasn't aware 8bit and Analogue were so closely tied together, it all makes sense now.

StereoVsn

Might grab the regular version. I actually do have one of those Neo Geo Mini consoles, and it kind of sucks. But between that, and bunch of compilations I got on Steam/GoG and even Amazon Prime, I have legit ROMs so can always emulate.

Or maybe I need to bite the bullet and finally get MisTer FPGA.

Last edited:
Over the course of two days the Neo Geo MiSTer core was enhanced for CD support, Sega Lord X did a retrospective on NGCD, and then the controller was announced. Random.

Neo_GAF

Banned
Neo-Geo-Aes.jpg

A mini edition of the console with that mythical controller and a good emulation would be top, neo geo x was a disaster.
this thing was the holy grail in the 90s.

is it still worth it? i mean emulation has come a long way and prefer not to spend huge amounts of money just to play 20 year old games.

compared to the 90s(when retro meant shit from the 70/80s) nowadays retro is perfectly fine for me, but prices are not.

Krathoon

What really sells it is that you can use it on a Neo Geo Mini or MiSTer. Can you use it on a Switch? Samurai Showdown Collection is on the Switch.

Last edited:
I have this weird feeling that SNK was almost like Sega, too ambitious for their own sake.

Most neo geo hardware is hot as fuck their games were in most part pretty good so yeah there will always be an appeal for their products.

I've heard that they have nice functionality for a third-party controller, but the build quality still doesn't match the originals they try to copy. Never owned any from this company, but every third-party controller I've ever bought has been complete shit that broke almost immediately.

Tarin02543

I've heard that they have nice functionality for a third-party controller, but the build quality still doesn't match the originals they try to copy. Never owned any from this company, but every third-party controller I've ever bought has been complete shit that broke almost immediately.

There is some truth in this. Although their Ultimate BT is my favourite controller ever it's L1 button clicks too loudly and tends to get stuck. I have disassembled it over five times just to mitigate the problem. My last attempt with ductape underneath the conducting rubber somehow succeeded but it's internal ribbon cable got damaged due to removing and inserting it at least 5 times. Had to order a new ribbon cable on AliExpress so it's now lying in a box in 30 pieces.

I'm getting a new one tomorrow (in white instead of black) because i couldn't wait on aliexpress so hopefully it will be a perfect unit. I'll keep my old one as a spare.

Other 8bitdo products I own (SN30, M30, Arcade Stick and several BT receivers) all work great.

Krathoon

8bitdo does have pretty good quality. I got a Saturn controller and two Turbografx controllers from them.

Banned
I just noticed that they actually have the buttons ordered correctly...
CD
AB

9baa32a0-1b45-11ee-bfb7-6cffb008dbeb

because 👇that down there is the button layout that the original Neo Geo Mini and original mini controller has for some fucking reason:

AC
BD

3max.jpg

top_neomini.png

so weird... my only guess is that they wanted the fighting games to largely resemble the layout of Street Fighter or something?

but then again, they also put a fucking analog stick in that controller... so maybe they didn't think while making these 🤣

Last edited:
Top Bottom