• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Tool

Banned
After watching the Olympics, it's occurred to me that the Ben Johnson 9.79 time in 1988 is still damn impressive today.

If you accept the fact that every sprinter is on the steroids, do you agree that Ben Johnson was the best ever since he slowed up in that race and still managed to get a 9.79 time?

Thoughts?

essay12.jpg

Tool

Banned
No interest in this topic?? The so-called "revelations" that have recently been made public about sprinters just adds truth to what Charlie Francis maintained all along -- that to compete at the highest levels athletes HAVE to be on steroids. Taking that into account, should Ben Johnson be considered one of, if not the greatest sprinter of all time?

Tool

Banned
Mike Works said:
He raced a horse and lost who cares

LOL...poor Ben that was way past his prime and he needs cash after being taken down as the scapegoat of the sport. I still maintain his performances should rank him as the best sprinter ever.

pestul

I like this thread. Anyone remember the loony theory about Carl Lewis spiking Ben's Gatorade?

I've always wondered what Ben could run clean.

Tool

Banned
pestul said:
I like this thread. Anyone remember the loony theory about Carl Lewis spiking Ben's Gatorade?

I've always wondered what Ben could run clean.

I've always wondered what Carl Lewis could run clean too.

levious

That throwing stick stunt of yours has boomeranged on us.
what, some get caught so now everyong must be doing it? How stupid.

Tool

Banned
levious said:
what, some get caught so now everyong must be doing it? How stupid.

Well 4 of the top 5 sprinters in the 1988 100m finals all tested positive for a banned substance at one time or another during their careers. Some got caught during competitions while others didn't. As long as you never admit it, and have good enough lawyers, you get off.

SickBoy

Lewis actually tested positive for three banned stimulants before the Seoul Olympics... he says it was a "herbal remedy"

EDIT: The rest of the story is he was given a warning instead of a suspension by the U.S. Olympic Committee

-SB

Tool

Banned
SickBoy said:
Lewis actually tested positive for three banned stimulants before the Seoul Olympics... he says it was a "herbal remedy"

EDIT: The rest of the story is he was given a warning instead of a suspension by the U.S. Olympic Committee

-SB

Oh yeah, and we've all heard about the current world record holder Tim Montgomery's problems with the whole BALCO scandal. Funny that Charlie Francis was involved there too.

Question: Why would ANY sprinter associate with Charlie Francis knowing he was involved in the Ben Johnson scandal? I mean, if you claim to run "clean" why would you hook up with a guy who's admitted time and again that NO sprinter can compete at those levels without steroids? The hypocrisy in the sport is astounding.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom