• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Feature I would really like for next gen: Bios-level chapter select

Miles708

It's something I've realized I wanted since, I think, Alone in The Dark on Xbox 360
I'm talking about: the ability to jump to any chapter of any game, at any time.

I can't be the only one.

- "But!", you could be thinking, "that defies challenge and logic! What's the use of careful level design and precise enemy encounter if you're goona skip it all anyway? Now how are you going to solve this, smartass?"
I'm glad you asked, and the simple answer is:
... I have no idea.

But! Please don't leave, let me explain!
The easy answer is to unlock the feature only for completed chapters, or after competing the game. Honestly I'm ok with it.

What I'm NOT ok with, is having to re-play dozens and dozens of hours just to be able to re-experience a cool moment.
  • I'm never gonna replay FFXIII, but that game has some incredibile, outstanding art-direction, some dungeons look like Panzer Dragoon RPG, and I want to experience those again!
  • What about Yakuza 6? The first time you arrive to Onomichi it's a unique feeling, with some gameplay mechanics you'll encounter only on that chapter.
  • The same could be said about every soulsbourne game.
  • Even for games like Monster Boy And the Cursed Kingdom, the Shoot'em up section was awesome and insipiring, and I want to experience it again!
  • [Insert other longer-than-3-hours games here]
No way in hell I'm replaying any of these games, it's a miracle I found the time once in my lifetime.
But the content is there, on my shelf, and I want to experience it again!

I know I'm not the only one. What is your opinion, kind people?

TL;DR version:
It would be cool to skip chapters after finishing a game, especially longer ones, with a bios-level feature integrated in the console's architecture, to lift the burden from developers (a bit like the custom soundtracks on Xbox 360). I'm not gonna ever replay Skyrim in my life.

Last edited:

Banned
yeah but this works for almost no modern game anymore.

most modern games are either open world or have no actual "levels" or chapters so to speak.

so this would only even work in a minority of games in the first place.
and all the games I know of that have chapters/levels, pretty much all of them already have a level/chapter select option after finishing the game.

Last edited:

Miles708

yeah but this works for almost no modern game anymore.

most modern games are either open world or have no actual "levels" or chapters so to speak.

so this would only even work in a minority of games in the first place.
and all the games I know of that have chapters/levels, pretty much all of them already have a level/chapter select option after finishing the game.

In reality this problem is only for open-world games. And even there, it would be trivial (or, at least, non-impossible) to just make a save of your state at various points in the story.
It would be perfect, actually.

Open-world games and JRPGs would be the best games to have this kind of feature, since you have to make through a LOT of padding, grinding and preparations before coming to the good parts, usually 10, 20 or 30 hours in.
I would have replayed some parts of Lost Odyssey so many times, if it didn't involve another big time commitment.

Like the scene select option on titty vns so you can revisit your waifu whenever you want

Well, that's certainly a way to put it.

Last edited:

GreenAlien

i want a skip/fast forward option for already played content. Like in Visual Novels..
I'm not replaying 60%+ old stuff just to get a different ending or a few slightly different quests.

Miles708

You want the game to play itself as well?
Your comment with your avatar is just perfect! :messenger_grinning_smiling:

Well... no. It could affect only already played portions of the game. Make replayability easier, even for mammoth-sized games.

i want a skip/fast forward option for already played content. Like in Visual Novels..
I'm not replaying 60%+ old stuff just to get a different ending or a few slightly different quests.

This can also be interesting.

TL;DR version:
It would be cool to skip chapters after finishing a game, especially longer ones, with a bios-level feature integrated in the console's architecture, to lift the burden from developers (a bit like the custom soundtracks on Xbox 360). I'm not gonna ever replay Skyrim in my life.

I can't see it being done at a console level, but you're onto something for sure as far as game features. I wouldn't mind something of a Game Genie mode once I've completed a game - set whatever ability levels, accessories, etc. then load up a particular point in the game - like cheat codes, but more accessible, combined with time travel where applicable.

johntown

Banned
Not sure if this is helpful but if you get into PC gaming you have plenty of options to go and do whatever you want in games. You can use Cheat Engine and other games have console commands that can do what you want.

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
I don't agree with OP that you should be able to skip to whatever chapter you like its because developers tell great stories, I know not all chapters are good but game of the year awards aren't won through skipping chapters.

Top Bottom