• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A man in my town was attacked for being Muslim-video inside:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Dalek

I live in Castro Valley, CA-part of the Bay Area. A place you would usually consider to be fairly progressive and liberal. Sadly this doesn't appear to be the case. This has been making the rounds on my friends feeds this morning, and it occurred at Lake Chabot where Mr. Albeshari was praying:

After praying, this lady approached us and started yelling at us that we're brainwashed for believing in Allah, "Allah is evil" she said. I started video taping her, I ,also, was hit by an umbrella before taking a shower of coffee right on my face. And what happened next was this..

https://www.facebook.com/rasheedalbeshari/videos/vb.100001507583265/956276454432598/?type=2&theater

My wife says she's heard that this woman actually is somewhat known in the area and very vocally confronts people to tell them they are evil and going to Hell.

EDIT:
Here's a link to a story about this, actually.

http://www.arabamericannews.com/new...l#st_refDomain=www.facebook.com&st_refQuery=/

u1_unnamed.png

Alameda County, CA – It was supposed to be another normal Sunday at the park for Rasheed Albeshari and his friends, until they were attacked by a local woman because of their Islamic faith.

Albeshari and his pals frequent Lake Chabot often, a quiet regional park in Alameda County.

But around 4:00 p.m. on Sunday, December 6, they were attacked by a woman who appeared disgruntled after she witnessed Albeshari’s pals praying on grass.

Albeshari was waiting in the car for his three friends to finish their prayers when he seen a woman confront them. She had been walking on the sidewalk and appeared ruffled that the Muslim men were praying in the park.

“She was saying ‘Allah is Satan and you are all murderers,’ Albeshari recalled.
Albeshari went up to the local woman and began taping the confrontation on his cell phone.
“One of my friends was trying to tell her ‘We believe in Jesus. We love Jesus,’ Albeshari said.

But those words fueled the woman’s animosity even more. A park ranger disrupted the argument and asked the woman to move away from them.
Instead, the woman assaulted Albeshari with an umbrella and threw coffee in his face. He captured the tail end of the incident on video.

Police were called onto the scene and a report was filed. According to Albeshari, the District Attorney’s office was looking into the incident for a possible hate crime charge.
"That's one of the main reasons why we love the Bay area. It's people from all around the planet," said Albeshari. “I never thought this would ever happen to me here. It’s a very uncomfortable feeling.”
Albeshari still believes the majority of Americans are more accepting than what had transpired with the woman at the park. He was relieved to see an outpour of support from Americans when he posted the video of his encounter on Facebook.
“I see a lot support and I like how people have reacted to it,” Albeshari said. “It made me feel safe. But after this point, you still have to be very careful. What if it was a woman or a kid in my situation, what would’ve happened?”

cocopuffs

Banned
There's a ton of dumb bigots everywhere, people suck. It's a shame but welcome to Earth.

Edit: My response is partially motivated by this MSNBC survey I saw where the vast majority of people agreed with Trump's Muslim immigration nonsense.

DarthWoo

I'm glad Grandpa porked a Chinese Muslim
Literally. Allah is simply the Arabic word for God, find an Arabic bible and that thing is filled so the brim with Allah.

I've heard a lot of people coming up with excuses for why this isn't the case. Blah blah blah moon god or whatnot. Any spirit that claims Jesus Christ is not the son of God is the devil or something. (Of course they seem to have no issues with Jews, who explicitly deny the divinity of Jesus.) Pretty much one of the reasons I see to say humbug to all of it.

It makes you want to ask this loon what she thinks Jesus would have advocated when addressing people of different faiths. I'm no Bible scholar, but I'm almost positive it wasn't "violently attack them with boiling liquid." Why are the most vocal Christians the one who understand Christ's lessons the least?

Arkeband

Banned
She sounds like the Monster Energy drink 666 "Bottoms up - and the Devil laughs" lady.

I promise that sentence makes sense if you know what I'm referring to.

stuminus3

You know it's been a lot of years since I last went to church but I really don't remember Jesus' message being about standing around in parks yelling at people.

You know, I'd love to interact with an islamophobe but not if they were going to be violent against me. That just puts them in jail and reduces our argument time. I want more rubbish out of you while I'm recording!

One thing that tweaks in my brain is this trend for conservatives to write "God is great!" when praising him then mock the phrase "allahu akbar".

LIKE WHAT THE HELL PEOPLE!

Jenov

Ugh stupid piece of shit lady. Hope she's charged with a hate crime for assaulting the man like that.

CoolOff

She sounds like the Monster Energy drink 666 "Bottoms up - and the Devil laughs" lady.

I promise that sentence makes sense if you know what I'm referring to.

Had to go and re-watch this. "Milfs dig it. Now I know this isn't a Christian company.".

Dalek

According to this link, the woman works for the Department of Corrections:

http://patch.com/california/castrov...ce+&+fire&utm_campaign=recirc&utm_content=aol

The woman, identified as Denise Slader, encountered the men around 3 p.m. Sunday at the volleyball courts near the park’s entrance, according to parks spokeswoman Carolyn Jones. Jones said Slader is an employee of the state Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation. That department was not immediately available to confirm her employment there.

It's a weird thing to post in a thread where a Muslim man was attacked by stranger completely unprovoked.

Kinda is, I don't think any harm was meant by it though. Not for me to decide, just throwing my opinion on the comment out there.

I'm surprised this happened in the Bay Area. I work across from a Muslim run bakery and go there all the time for their bad ass chicken. Muslim's are pretty well accepted here in my experience. I'm not Muslim but I work in Oakland and see them every day and I don't see them getting a lot of hate. Though I'm sure it happens, especially the way the news runs stories about them. I hope this lady get's punished for her bullshit racism.

I'm surprised this happened in the Bay Area. I work across from a Muslim run bakery and go there all the time for their bad ass chicken. Muslim's are pretty well accepted here in my experience. I'm not Muslim but I work in Oakland and see them every day and I don't see them getting a lot of hate. Though I'm sure it happens, especially the way the news runs stories about them. I hope this lady get's punished for her bullshit racism.

California only votes reliably blue since the state tried to fuck illegal immigrants at the '94 election. Ever since then the Latino vote jumped 10 points and the state GOP ceased to exist. There are still plenty of racist fucks in the Bay Area. A quarter of any population, even the most liberal bastions, are guaranteed to be batshit insane when it comes to politics.

People are too scared to step out of their comfort zone, and scared people don't act or think reasonably.

She should learn a thing or two about Islam and be ashamed of her behavior.

Wait until she finds out Allah and her god are one and the same.

She never will
There is a group on Facebook called Acts 17 that is determined to prove and to convince anyone else who disputes it that God in Islam isn't the god of the other abrahamic faiths.

Madness

I hate how deep prejudice runs in this god damn country.

Well 3 years ago you had a white supremacist go inside a Sikh Temple in Wisconsin and massacre a bunch of people because he thought they were Muslim. So the prejudice is real, coupled with bigotry and sheer stupidity. It runs deep even if people don't want to admit it. This isn't new either. You'd be surprised to know that even all these years after World War II, Jews are still the victims of most religious hate crimes in America. Even with all the pro-jewish lobbies, support and live for Israel etc. Hate is still strong in the US.

Llyranor

It makes you want to ask this loon what she thinks Jesus would have advocated when addressing people of different faiths. I'm no Bible scholar, but I'm almost positive it wasn't "violently attack them with boiling liquid." Why are the most vocal Christians the one who understand Christ's lessons the least?
They are like the Pharisees that Jesus was raging against in the New Testament.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom