• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A Quiet Place: Day One | Official TRAILER | June 28

Represent.

Represent(ative) of bad opinions
9G6E24e.jpeg

Day one. Love me a good alien invasion movie. We dont get enough of them anymore. All in

Doom85

First movie was good, haven’t seen the second yet.

Looks intense, different director but he directed Pig with Nicolas Cage which I heard was great so hopefully he’ll do well here (John Krasinski is busy doing this movie called IF with Ryan Reynolds that looks charming).

And Lupita always makes me:

Crushing In Love GIF

Trogdor1123

It’s pretty neat. I always wondered “why” and I guess we will find out.

I haven’t seen the second one. Is there a chance this ends up with a happy ending at some point? I’d like at least a chance of us “winning” at some point.

IntentionalPun

Ask me about my wife's perfect butthole
I thought the first was kinda bad. Both my wife and I tried watching it more than once and we mostly just laughed at it.

jason10mm

Gold Member
I think this is gonna stretch the concept too far. The idea that sound attracted melee only monsters could last more than a DAY in Texas, much less depopulate the Earth, breaks my suspension of disbelief :p

poppabk

Cheeks Spread for Digital Only Future
The day 1 part of the second movie was the best part of the movie, so hopefully they can expand on that. Hopefully they can dodge the bullet of something like fear the walking dead and don't get to basically the aftermath within minutes.

Doom85

I think this is gonna stretch the concept too far. The idea that sound attracted melee only monsters could last more than a DAY in Texas, much less depopulate the Earth, breaks my suspension of disbelief :p

IIRC bullets didn’t do shit against the creatures until a very specific audio frequency made them vulnerable. So shooting like lunatics into the creatures would accomplish nothing except attracting even more of them.

So actually Texas would pretty much guarantee they’d be the first state to be wiped out.

jason10mm

Gold Member
IIRC bullets didn’t do shit against the creatures until a very specific audio frequency made them vulnerable. So shooting like lunatics into the creatures would accomplish nothing except attracting even more of them.

So actually Texas would pretty much guarantee they’d be the first state to be wiped out.
I didn't buy "they are all just bulletproof!" for a SECOND. And IIRC they were vulnerable when their mouth was open, so really anytime they were close enough to attack. But put a few 7.62 FMJs on target and I doubt they were feeling good about it, much less the heavier hunting and military use stuff.

But the real thing is that their hearing senses were ridiculously precise. They never seemed fooled by ambient noise, could home in on human breathing from miles(?) away, yet you never saw them sitting around but they were ALWAYS close. Seems like they would be the easiest thing to ambush EVER. Hell, in most of Texas you'd see them coming from across the horizon (and they ain't digging down in our bedrock soil!) so a couple'a bubba's with 50's would clear the state, much less the few armored divisions we have here that would just roll right over them or make them eat ma-deuce co-ax fire, bushmaster rounds, and 120mm canister rounds all day.

Anyway, this is why I think the concept worked okay-ish for the first film, struggled for the second, and IMHO will fall apart in this third one.

Always looking forward to an alien invasion movie! Jim has done well for himself after the office, wonder how this one will do since he's not the director.

Rockondevil

Looks fun and I'll watch as the others have been decent enough.

I didn't buy "they are all just bulletproof!" for a SECOND.
It hardly matters that you don't "buy" it. It's a movie and that's their universe. Superman is bulletproof in his world. John Wick is mostly in his world.

The other part where you said they are always close by is the part I can agree with.

jason10mm

Gold Member
It hardly matters that you don't "buy" it. It's a movie and that's their universe. Superman is bulletproof in his world. John Wick is mostly in his world.
Well, it does if they want me to spend money on the IP. Internal consistency and suspension of disbelief are critical factors in world building and narrative structure, if AQP is just gonna make it up as they go along or set up extreme abilities (i.e. skinny alien things are entirely damage proof except for that big mouth) then the writing has to be stellar to compensate. I get the whole "they have an achilles heel!" thing they were going for but Achilles also didn't take on Troy by himself.

Fbh

The first one was enjoyable but I thought the second one was pretty bad and forgettable (I actually don't remember much about it other than not really liking it).
That said, of all the directions they could take a third one I think this is the one that makes the most sense. I don't know how much they could stretch the concept moving forward, but going back and seeing how the whole world went to shit could be fun.

I just worry most of the cool trailer will be the first 20 minutes of the movie, and the rest will be a samey sequel.

Doom85

I didn't buy "they are all just bulletproof!" for a SECOND. And IIRC they were vulnerable when their mouth was open, so really anytime they were close enough to attack. But put a few 7.62 FMJs on target and I doubt they were feeling good about it, much less the heavier hunting and military use stuff.

But the real thing is that their hearing senses were ridiculously precise. They never seemed fooled by ambient noise, could home in on human breathing from miles(?) away, yet you never saw them sitting around but they were ALWAYS close. Seems like they would be the easiest thing to ambush EVER. Hell, in most of Texas you'd see them coming from across the horizon (and they ain't digging down in our bedrock soil!) so a couple'a bubba's with 50's would clear the state, much less the few armored divisions we have here that would just roll right over them or make them eat ma-deuce co-ax fire, bushmaster rounds, and 120mm canister rounds all day.

Anyway, this is why I think the concept worked okay-ish for the first film, struggled for the second, and IMHO will fall apart in this third one.

Don’t buy they were bulletproof? Well, that makes your chances of survival even grimmer if you’re underestimating your enemy like that. Seriously, the whole point of the ending of the first movie was showing how to make them vulnerable to bullets.

You realize if they were close enough to attack, you’re fucking dead, right? Look at the way the one killed that kid in the opening. Texan citizens aren’t fucking god tier snipers nailing shots aimed at a MOUTH (that you assume will be open) of a creature charging at a distance. Stop kidding yourself.

Your cities would fall first for obvious reasons due to the population density. Leaving the rest of you all as easy pickings to get overwhelmed progressively.

And the second you begin shooting, your ambush strategy is over. You have now alerted a ton more. Congratulations, you’re dead.

The Simpsons GIF by MOODMAN

The third film is reinforcing the idea this was an alien invasion. Clearly one with numbers and durable enough that humanity couldn’t fight back against. Let go of your ego for a second and learn to accept there could be an enemy who’d wipe you out. It’s like the kid in school who says he could beat the Hulk, you just look ridiculous.

I just worry most of the cool trailer will be the first 20 minutes of the movie, and the rest will be a samey sequel.
^

You can't believably flesh out a Day One scenario because the underlying problem with this franchise is accepting the entire world fell to blind creatures that instinctually charge towards sound. No different to zombie movies that skip Day One because there's no way of reasonably showing the "threat" overpowering the military once the tanks roll in.

It's a stretch of the imagination enough to watch regular survivors struggle with defeating them.

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
Loved the first 2 minus the stupid abrupt endings.

I've been wondering if they were going to do another.

Croatoan

They/Them A-10 Warthog

Why in gods name would you be using fmjs on a monster (or that gross Russian 7.62x39 round)? AP or HP if you want to drop it, depending on hide toughness.

I am a Texan if anyone is looking for credentials.

To be honest you are going to want 308 (7.62x51) or bigger regardless. There are enough 338 rifles in Texas to deal with those dumb things.

Last edited:

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth

Wait to you read about the capabilities of bats... Let alone a fictional made up Alien species, as pointed out and shown in the first two films, they are armoured, they are insanely fast, incredibly strong and can slice through steel, now stick thousands of these things dropping from the sky into populated areas and I can easily see how the vast majority of humans would be wiped out near instantly, they go through us like butter

Atrus

Gold Member
I hope they portray the military offensives in a realistic fashion. It makes the story so much better when the humans react appropriately to threats instead of acting slow and stupid. A blind alien enemy that can’t swim with no evidence of higher intelligence will realistically be hunted down and destroyed unless they breed quickly or arrived in large numbers, so they should emphasize the aliens advantages instead of trying to exaggerate human weaknesses.

jason10mm

Gold Member
Wait to you read about the capabilities of bats... Let alone a fictional made up Alien species, as pointed out and shown in the first two films, they are armoured, they are insanely fast, incredibly strong and can slice through steel, now stick thousands of these things dropping from the sky into populated areas and I can easily see how the vast majority of humans would be wiped out near instantly, they go through us like butter
Bats have echolocation and it can absolutely be messed with. I used to throw rocks in the air and bats dove for them just like they would for a bug because they couldn't tell the difference until they got close enough for another sense to assist, like vision or smell. These creatures seem to work 100% on a single passive sense, even worse than bats. So barring a major reveal about them that wasn't even hinted at in the first 2 films, I'm not optimistic. Wasn't there a recent horror film about bat like creatures?

But it doesn't really matter. This isn't gonna be a detailed, logical, internally consistent, well researched, sci-fi story about alien invasion. It's gonna be a human drama with lots of jump scares with the aliens as a background wall paper to sucker people in. That worked pretty well for AQP. Less so, IMHO, for AQP2. I expect even less so for AQP3.

Top Bottom