• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

A-Train 9 V4.0: Japan Rail Simulator |OT| Let’s Take the A-Train!

Aerocrane

A-Train 9 V4.0: Japan Rail Simulator |OT| Let’s Take the A-Train!
cCVfuWr.jpg

Developer: Artdink
Publisher: Degica
Platform: PC (Steam)
Release date: 21st of October
Price: $59.99/54.99€
Click here for full list of prices in different currencies
A discount is available for owners of previous versions of A-Train on Steam.
Steam Store Page

A-Train 9 V4.0 is the latest version of Artdink’s long running transport simulation and city building game series. The new version has many new features and changes that
improve the gameplay experience. For the first time players in the West can use authentic Japanese trains with the addition of 36 new types of rolling stock licensed from
West Japan Railway Company (JR West).

In A-Train 9 you run a transportation company. Your task is to construct and manage a transportation network and subsidiaries to attract people and companies to your city
with the ultimate goal of earning 100 billion dollars. To accomplish this goal you must develop your transport network, construct subsidiaries and invest in the stock market.

Your transportation network and subsidiaries influence how the city develops. Various different buildings will form around your holdings as you construct railways, bus routes
and subsidiaries. You can construct a wide variety of subsidiaries, varying from your company headquarters to power plants, factories, ports, office and apartment buildings
and lots more. To be able to construct subsidiaries you need materials. Materials are produced by factories and stored in warehouses. You can construct a factory and set up
a freight train to transport your materials to parts of the city where you need materials for construction. It should also be noted that all other construction done by the AI also
uses up your materials. The gameplay offers a variety of ways to accomplish the goal of becoming a successful company as you can go from managing your railway timetables to
constructing warehouses and factories and office buildings to generate additional income to your company. Constructing subsidiaries is extremely important as they will
encourage development which will in turn support your transport business with more passengers.

The game also includes a map editor which allows you to create your own maps and scenarios.

The game features an in-depth manual that can be accessed by clicking the Game Manual option in the main menu.
It can also be accessed by navigating to the Steam installation folder for A-Train 9
Code:
Default: Steam\SteamApps\common\A-Train 9 V4.0 Japan Rail Simulator\data\document
and opening the index.html file in your web browser.

Unfortunately the manual doesn't help much when trying to get started with A-Train 9, and there are no in-game tutorials. I strongly recommend following this guide to get started.
There are other useful guides listed in this thread on the Steam community forums.

Zp6PKTV.jpg
525dzDJ.jpg
8660UMx.jpg

New features added in Version 4.0

New time factor: 3X. In 3X mode, for each second that passes in real time just 3 seconds pass in game, allowing more accurate and genuine scheduling than ever before.

Expanded number of vehicles in service. Limit of trains, buses and trucks active at once in a region has been increased to 200.

Group colour settings. You can assign individual colours to your trains, buses and trucks for use in train lines or guides. The colour selection is also reflected on the satellite map
and vehicle information tag.

Sorting functions. New sorting functions have been added to the Train menu. You can move trains up and down the list and also remove and add empty boxes to the list.

Driving mode. You can now drive cars, boats and trains. To drive a train, select the train in the train menu and click Driving to move to driving mode. The train driving mode is
reminiscent of Taito’s Densha de Go! series, you drive from station to station trying to adhere to speed limits and keeping to a schedule. Your driving can affect the schedule of
other trains, so make sure to save beforehand.

Speed limits. You can now apply speed limits to sections of your train lines with speed limit signs. Installed signs affect all trains that pass. Speed limit will not be lifted until the train
passes a speed limit lifted sign. Another speed limit can be applied even if the previous limit hasn’t been lifted. Speed limits can affect train schedules.

Change maximum speed of custom trains. You can now change the cruising speed of custom trains by selecting from 5 km/h increments in the custom menu.

Custom maps in projects. You can now use maps from the map editor in the project menu.

Shorter intervals for signal settings. When using time factor of 30X or 3X, the interval for traffic lights in intersections can be set in 16, 12, 10, 8, 6 and 4-minute intervals.

Additional track parts. Slip switch and Y-branch can now be extended in a straight line.

Additional new buildings. Low-rise office building 1-8, Amusement facility, New Kabuki theatre, Opera tower, University hospital, Park (corner) 1 & 2, Convenience store (small) and
Cafe (small) have been added.

Additional new items. Over 50 new decorations have been added and the maximum number of items installed per map has been increased from 1000 to 3000.

New scenario maps. Three new scenario maps have been added. You can enjoy Overcrowded City, Riverside City and Beach And Waterfront scenarios.

Pass all function added. You can now set the selected vehicle to pass all bus stops.

New graphical effect added. A water spray has been added to boats in operation.

New shortcut. Esc key cancels hidden status for all menus.

Introduction of new trains from Japan.
1i6GidT.png

A-Train 9 V4.0 features 36 types of rolling stock licensed from West Japan Railway Company.
- 103 Series (Sky Blue)
- 103 Series (Vermilion Orange)
- 125 Series
- 205 Series (Sky Blue)
- 207-1000 Series
- 221 Series
- 223-2000 Series
- 419 Series
- KiHa 40 Series (Scarlet)
- KiHa 58 Series
- KiHa 58 Series (Hiroshima)
- KiHa 58 Series (Tsuyama)
- KiHa Class 120 (Kansai)
- KiHa Class 120 (Kisuki)
- KiHa Class 120 (Kisuki)
- KiHa Class 52-100 (JNR)
- KiHa Class 52-100 (Old JNR)
- KiHa Class 52-100 (Scarlet)
- 117 Series
- 281 Series "Haruka"
- 283 Series
- 285-0 Series
- 287 Series
- 381 Series (Kuroshio)
- 381 Series (Super Yakumo)
- 381 Series (Yuttari Yakumo)
- 583 Series
- 681 Series
- Class EF81 + 24 Series
- KiHa 181 Series
- KiHa 187-500 Series
- 0 Series
- 500 Series
- 700 Series
- Class C57 + 12 Series
- Class D51 + 12 Series

Oh hey, there's an OT. Who knew?

Just a heads up for the many fans of A-Train on GAF (all, uh, one... of you?) V4.0 seems to have a massive discount right now for the Steam Autumn Sale if you happen to already own V3.0. I can't find any info on what the upgrade discount is supposed to be normally, but right now it's 87%. This makes it $8.64 in Canada (and I'm guessing $7.79 in the States). I don't think the discount will ever get any better than this so if you're interested in V4.0 at all, now's probably the time!

I'm still turned off from how Degica's handled the A-Train games on Steam, but it's good to know they got some of the JR trains into the non-Japanese release. Some, and much too late after the promises they made to begin with. That said, I'm not sure if different engines matter too much in A-Train 9, as no one's done a comprehensive write-up on the subject. Right now I'm waiting for A-Train 10 to hit, as there's a chance a whole new game release will make it easier for Degica to bargain with JR and Artdink.

Aerocrane

Oh hey, there's an OT. Who knew?

Just a heads up for the many fans of A-Train on GAF (all, uh, one... of you?) V4.0 seems to have a massive discount right now for the Steam Autumn Sale if you happen to already own V3.0. I can't find any info on what the upgrade discount is supposed to be normally, but right now it's 87%. This makes it $8.64 in Canada (and I'm guessing $7.79 in the States). I don't think the discount will ever get any better than this so if you're interested in V4.0 at all, now's probably the time!

Seems like this was a price mistake and is now fixed? Steam shows a 54 percent discount on the store page which brings the price down to 25.29€ According to the receipt of my purchase, the loyalty discount seems to be 38%.

I'm still turned off from how Degica's handled the A-Train games on Steam, but it's good to know they got some of the JR trains into the non-Japanese release. Some, and much too late after the promises they made to begin with. That said, I'm not sure if different engines matter too much in A-Train 9, as no one's done a comprehensive write-up on the subject. Right now I'm waiting for A-Train 10 to hit, as there's a chance a whole new game release will make it easier for Degica to bargain with JR and Artdink.

It really sucks how Degica have handled the series. I'm glad that we have some JR trains finally. The community manager has also posted on the Steam forums for V4.0 , saying that they are hoping to add at least 20 more JR trains in a free update. I'll believe it when I see those trains in-game.

Aerocrane

A new free DLC package for A-Train 9 V4.0 has been released on Steam. It adds 45 new trains to the game. Mind you, different liveries of the same train are counted separately.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/418140/

Full list of new trains:
800 Series JR Kyushu
KiHa Class 32 JR Shikoku
KiHa 40 Series (Hokkaido) JR Hokkaido
KiHa 40 Series (Nichinan Line) JR Kyushu
KiHa Class 54 (Hokkaido) JR Hokkaido
KiHa Class 54 (Shikoku) JR Shikoku
KiHa 71 Series JR Kyushu
KiHa Class 150 JR Hokkaido
KiHa 183-0 Series (JNR) JR Hokkaido
KiHa 183-0 Series (Hokkaido) JR Hokkaido
KiHa 183 Series (N. Rainbow) JR Hokkaido
KiHa 185-0 Series JR Shikoku
KiHa 185-3000 Series JR Shikoku
KiHa 201 Series JR Hokkaido
KiHa 283 Series JR Hokkaido
1000 Series JR Shikoku
1500 Series JR Shikoku
2000 Series JR Shikoku
303 Series JR Kyushu
415-0 Series JR Kyushu
415-1500 Series JR Kyushu
485-0 Series JR Kyushu
485 Series (Nichirin) JR Kyushu
485 Series (Kirishima) JR Kyushu
721 Series JR Hokkaido
731 Series JR Hokkaido
785 Series JR Hokkaido
787 Series JR Kyushu
789 Series JR Hokkaido
811 Series JR Kyushu
813-0 Series JR Kyushu
817 Series JR Kyushu
883 Series JR Kyushu
883 Series (Silver) JR Kyushu
883 Series (Black) JR Kyushu
883 Series (Yellow) JR Kyushu
883 Series (Renewal livery) JR Kyushu
885 Series JR Kyushu
5000 Series JR Shikoku
7000 Series JR Shikoku
8000 Series JR Shikoku
Class ED79 + 50 Series JR Hokkaido
Class EF66 + 14 Series JR Kyushu
KiHa 40 Series JR Kyushu
KiHa 185 Series (A-Train) JR Kyushu

Eolz

So, A-train 9 is currently on sale at 50%off (14€) on GMG.
Is that the best point of entry for this series, or is that the 3DS game? Also, is that GMG version the same as the one on steam subtitled v4.0?

Is that the best point of entry for this series, or is that the 3DS game? Also, is that GMG version the same as the one on steam subtitled v4.0?

It's not. GMG actually sells both: this is the original A-Train 9, which is 50% off ($14.99 USD), and this is v4.0, which is full price ($59.99 USD). They even sell A-Train 8 still, which has been de-listed from Steam. Probably not worth it for just $5 cheaper than A-Train 9 vanilla, though. Maybe if you're JaseC you like collecting dead Steam games!

I've played very little of A-Train 9 (like, I just fired up V3.0 for the first time just now to get a better sense of it) so I'm not the best person to comment, but my impression is the 3DS version is much easier to get into. A-Train 9 has scenarios just like A-Train 3D, but it kind of throws you into the drink immediately. I'm not even sure it has a tutorial. A-Train 3D, on the other hand, gives you some basic knowledge of the game's tools and strategies during its first few scenarios. Maybe someone who's played one of the A-Train 9 releases can comment more about how it is for new players?

Aerocrane

It's not. GMG actually sells both: this is the original A-Train 9, which is 50% off ($14.99 USD), and this is v4.0, which is full price ($59.99 USD). They even sell A-Train 8 still, which has been de-listed from Steam. Probably not worth it for just $5 cheaper than A-Train 9 vanilla, though. Maybe if you're JaseC you like collecting dead Steam games!

I've played very little of A-Train 9 (like, I just fired up V3.0 for the first time just now to get a better sense of it) so I'm not the best person to comment, but my impression is the 3DS version is much easier to get into. A-Train 9 has scenarios just like A-Train 3D, but it kind of throws you into the drink immediately. I'm not even sure it has a tutorial. A-Train 3D, on the other hand, gives you some basic knowledge of the game's tools and strategies during its first few scenarios. Maybe someone who's played one of the A-Train 9 releases can comment more about how it is for new players?

If you are completely new to the series, A-Train 3D is definitely the best place to start.

A-Train 9 V4.0 has no tutorials and trying to learn the mechanics and the interface can be difficult. While the digital manual does teach you about the mechanics, you'd be better off learning from a Steam guide. I recommend using this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=544700988 There is really no reason to buy any of the previous versions of A-Train 9 or A-Train 8.
Even after learning how different features of A-Train 9 V4.0 work, you can still run into issues where some things don't work when they seemingly should. Ports for example are a bit of a mystery. Sometimes you get boat traffic instantly when you build one and sometimes they remain unused for years. In such cases you need to post on the Steam forums and hope that someone has figured out the issue. The port issue I used as example was figured out by some players in this Steam forum thread.

Eolz

If you are completely new to the series, A-Train 3D is definitely the best place to start.

A-Train 9 V4.0 has no tutorials and trying to learn the mechanics and the interface can be difficult. While the digital manual does teach you about the mechanics, you'd be better off learning from a Steam guide. I recommend using this one: http://steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=544700988 There is really no reason to buy any of the previous versions of A-Train 9 or A-Train 8.
Even after learning how different features of A-Train 9 V4.0 work, you can still run into issues where some things don't work when they seemingly should. Ports for example are a bit of a mystery. Sometimes you get boat traffic instantly when you build one and sometimes they remain unused for years. In such cases you need to post on the Steam forums and hope that someone has figured out the issue. The port issue I used as example was figured out by some players in this Steam forum thread.

Thanks for all the tips!
This series seems really good but a bit daunting. Guess I will wait for a bigger discount for 9v4 and try 3D before that. :)

Top Bottom