• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AAA Games Should Rely On Famous IPs To Avoid Risks, Claims Tencent VP

Don Carlo

From article cover:
A video game executive has shared his take on the same topic, asserting that games should be based on already acclaimed IPs so that the risks fade away.

Why it matters: Games like Spider-Man 2 and Street Fighter 6 were in the spotlight due to the already existing popularity of their predecessors.
When discussing video games with Bloomberg, Martin Sibille, the VP at Tencent Games, shared his advice for developers looking to make games.

He asserts that new games should be made based on popular IPs because the chances of failure drop to almost insignificant levels with this focus. This is a controversial statement as it has downsides apart from the obvious benefits.

This approach would mean that more and more ideas will be repeated in the industry instead of IPs based on new concepts. 2024 already proved that there is an appetite for new franchises.
Talk about the death of innovation lol. Thoughts?

Last edited:

DaGwaphics

I wonder where he figures these famous IPs came from. :messenger_tears_of_joy:

Though I can't blame him for noticing that many of the best selling games over the last 5 or 10 years are familiar names. But, things like Cyberpunk do pop in there as well.

It has little to do with the IP.

Ancient wisdom suggests it's not what you do but how you do it.

Who really thought Robocop was gonna be a sleeper hit. It's not that huge of an IP, and anything remotely related as of late has been trash.

Then we got Rogue City.

Blaming market performance on the visibility of the IP is a cop-out, IMO.

Avengers was ass.
Suicide Squad = teh sucketh.
Spiderman 2 was whack.

Stop making games that only the shareholders want. They don't even play them...

It's about mitigating risk. No one can eliminate it totally.

Rockstar said:

Watch This Hold Up GIF by Apple TV+

At this point I feel like we're heading towards an independent think tank without bullshit accounting, marketing, VPs and executives etc. People who know what makes games kick ass awesome fun, risks worth standing for and they go in during the prototype phases to alter the course of AAA titles specifically.

That reminds me where in the hell is AAAA Perfect Dark....

Don Carlo

The death of innovation has already showed it's face years ago. How many AAA studios have tried anything remotely new in the past few years?
When you talk about pure innovation, yes, but there have been some unique blends here and there.

Rat Rage

"video game executive". Truly the people who know how the gaming industry works and what gamers want. This is why oldskool gaming was the golden age of video games, where executives didn't have too much say in the overall development process, because they were happy to even find people who knew how to develop a game.

ProtoByte

People will balk at this, but he's not wrong if you account for the fact that the game itself has to be good, and the licensing fees not too onerous (ie Marvel).

I get people like the idea of new IP, but new AAA IP has to become established IP at some point, and the standard is higher than ever. People have been exposed to so many, and it has to last publishers at least a generation and a half (each longer than they've ever been) to be worthwhile. That takes a lot of money, but more importantly, time. Which is why Cory Barlog's new IP is now, what? 6+ years in the making? And it's probably not coming out before 2026.

I'm not saying that publishers should never put the money and time on the table to do it, but it's not like licenses are inherently bad.

Honestly, I'd much prefer a competent developer spends 5-6 years making a killer Werewolf: The Apocalypse game over whatever generic low rent Elder Scrolls or Mass Effect IP is cooking these days. Insomniac's ass and reputation are entirely saved by Spider-Man. No one was really checking for them after rehashing Ratchet and Clank for 20 years, and even fewer were buying their games outside of that.

The death of innovation has already showed it's face years ago. How many AAA studios have tried anything remotely new in the past few years?
AAAs haven't been innovative for a long time anyway.
Innovation in a mature industry is increasingly difficult and overrated.

As much as people rag on AAA, it's not like the indie scene isn't full of modern copycats and "spiritual successors" to what used the AAAs of the past.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

I don't know if the risk is really any lower, but it is a good excuse for an exec to have in their back pocket when their games fail, and they don't want to be fired.

Guilty_AI

As much as people rag on AAA, it's not like the indie scene isn't full of modern copycats and "spiritual successors" to what used the AAAs of the past.
Thing is there are all kinds 🤷‍♂️. There's certainly the copy-paste stuff, but there's also refinement of old-school formulas, interesting takes on estabilished genres as well as completely unique types of games.

Last edited:
Eh... established IPs give the products visibility and reduce marketing costs. However, the quality content and production values have to be there for them to be a success.

Last edited:

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
I'm down for some examples to fresh my memory if you'd be so kind.
Capcom- Exoprimal
Ubisoft - Skull and Bones. 2D prince of Persia.
Sony- Helldivers 2.
Microsoft/Tango- Hi Fi Rush. Msoft shows a lot of indie ventures.
EA-Immortals of Aveum

I think that’s a few just off the top of the dome.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
Capcom- Exoprimal
Ubisoft - Skull and Bones. 2D prince of Persia.
Sony- Helldivers 2.
Microsoft/Tango- Hi Fi Rush. Msoft shows a lot of indie ventures.
EA-Immortals of Aveum

I think that’s a few just off the top of the dome.

Exoprimal, 2D Prince of Persia, Helldivers 2, and Hi Fi Rush definitely not AAA.

Skull and Bones and Aveum are a little grey area imo.

Arsic

Loves his juicy stink trail scent
Exoprimal, 2D Prince of Persia, Helldivers 2, and Hi Fi Rush definitely not AAA.

Skull and Bones and Aveum are a little grey area imo.
The question was how many AAA studios have tried anything new.

Those are major new.

Capcom makes AAA. Made a unique new IP work exoprimal.

2D prince is a departure from the 3D action they had been.

Helldivers 2 was a top down game. Now a full on third person crazy visuals and live service title.

Hi Fi, fine. Tango isn’t a AAA developer since evil within never got them there.

Skull and bones were pitched to be AAAA for one, and AAA for another. New titles and IPs trying something unique. Those aren’t up for debate.

xrnzaaas

It's definitely a risky business with the profit margins not being that big even for successful AAA releases. I don't expect the AAA market to change, but maybe we'll start getting more AA releases. And heck, if one of them turns out to be a proper hit why not turn the sequel into a triple A game?

Killjoy-NL

If so, we wouldn't have games like TLOU or Horizon.

They just need to release good games and make it trilogies at best.

If a new IP fails, they fucked up and need to come up with something better. Simple as that.

Kataploom

Gold Member
It doesn't work unless they're aimed at original audiences, we've seen enough what happens when they try to sell old brands to younger people: They don't care about it (just like a new IP for them but without the appeal they want) and old fans hate it.

Last edited:
If this what the CEOs at the big pubs collectively think, then this sets a really ominous precedent for AAA games. They'll accelerate their own demise this way.

Now that they've either laid off or lost their visionaries and creative mavericks then they got nothing else left than to clutch their legacy IPs as a safety net.

A known IP is hardly bad for a game, unless all the budget goes into acquiring a license and nothing is left for the game development itself.
I'd say we get new IPs too seldomly, but those are often allowed some slack too. Since the novelty and exactly unknown fresh characters can outweigh some not so great other incredients. So the risk also comes with benefits.
IPs are not bulletproof at all and a ton of newer or sometimes actually brand new stuff is sold the most. Helldivers could have been an official Starship troopers game and the somewhat limited success could have stopped a successor but something that is a good idea sometimes just needs a second nudge to become what it should be. Then fully risk averse would be detrimental to your profits.
Avoiding risk at all costs is probably not really helping in preventing stagnating revenue streams. So the argument feels very shortsighted especially for shareholder driven endless growth delusions that require to expand everything in every direction all the time.

Xyphie

It's basically already the case in movies so I don't see why games will be any different. You're going to have a few Tarantinos and Nolans (e.g. Kojima) with enough leverage to do novel things but for the most part AAA games will be either long-established game IPs or non-native successful IP like Hogwarts, MCU etc.

It has little to do with the IP.

Ancient wisdom suggests it's not what you do but how you do it.

Who really thought Robocop was gonna be a sleeper hit. It's not that huge of an IP, and anything remotely related as of late has been trash.

Then we got Rogue City.

Blaming market performance on the visibility of the IP is a cop-out, IMO.

Avengers was ass.
Suicide Squad = teh sucketh.
Spiderman 2 was whack.

Stop making games that only the shareholders want. They don't even play them...
Idk how you managed to use Spiderman as an example.

Majukun

we are in the digital era, we are (partially) past that.

good games sell regardless through word of mouth, and sequels to good games are not assured to sell well by themselves

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Castlevania is such an awesome concept and theme that's it's a shame they have mismanaged it so much.

djjinx2

So many industry people are saying the current AAA model is unsustainable, maybe MS aren't so stupid in the end with their shift to multi plat and they can carve a niche out with a change of direction (sorry if slightly off topic but seems relevant to this)

One thing is for sure it's a very risky business, cancelled games are an instant write off of million's of £/$

Laptop1991

While i get the point and do agree to an extent, it's no good ruining famous IP's with bad entries, that has happened before with Command and Conquer etc, make games people want to pay money for, too many mediocre games and gaas games made to milk customers but don't sell well as they just arn't very good in the end

Top Bottom