• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

ABZÛ |OT| A Journey into an ocean of wisdom

ghibli99

I sat and stared at the
swirling shoal
for so long, swimming inside it and just taking in the magic of it all. It seemed impossible that this could be coded and artistically rendered so beautifully, but there it was. And then deciding to swim down deeper for no other reason than 'just because I can', and seeing the
faint outlines of whales
come into clear view took my breath away.

tcrunch

I sat and stared at the
swirling shoal
for so long, swimming inside it and just taking in the magic of it all. It seemed impossible that this could be coded and artistically rendered so beautifully, but there it was. And then deciding to swim down deeper for no other reason than 'just because I can', and seeing the
faint outlines of whales
come into clear view took my breath away.

Hope you didn't miss the
basking shark
cruising near the bottom too.

Hope you didn't miss the
basking shark
cruising near the bottom too.

I've noticed things change after you complete it twice.
In the Atlantis level, when you first get out of the water and walk on land, there is one tortoise on the ground. When you come back after your first playthrough, there are two tortoises, some frogs and other things. I wonder what happens after you complete it a third time or more?

kanuuna

Lovely, lovely game. Incredible soundtrack from Austin Wintory (as should be expected of him), terrific visuals (I wouldn't hesitate to call it the most consistently beautiful game on PS4) and just really smooth controls. The kind of laid-back game I can't wait to return to every now and then.

Thank you, Giant Squid.

Here's my review of ABZÛ:

I thoroughly enjoyed ABZÛ. It's the most relaxing and atmospheric experience I've ever had with a game. The graphics are a sight to behold - the tech on display here is unreal [no pun intended]. The lighting, shadows and shaders are incredible and really help to immerse you into the world. The soundtrack by Austin Wintory is as to be expected, perfect. I really don't think that any other music could have coalesced with this game any better. I've had trouble sleeping the past few nights and I've been listening to the soundtrack since it released and I can't make it through two or three songs before I'm out. It is the most beautiful, Heavenly and relaxing soundscape I've ever heard. Thank you so much Austin Wintory.

The game's length seems perfect to me and if there's ever a Collector's Edition or Special Edition, if Giant Squid wanted to add a new level or two and extra content, creatures, etc. that's fine by me - I would definitely buy it and I'm sure most of you would also! Seeing different iterations of the game would be great also - having multiple different versions of ABZÛ is not a bad thing whatsoever, so count me in.

All in all, I couldn't be happier with it. Obviously you all know that I was extremely excited about it and it delivered in full. Some of the moments that are truly legendary in this game are things that if they happened to you in real life, no one would believe you unless you had video proof. The only negative thing I can say is that it makes you love being with these creatures so much, that someone that didn't know any better might think "Oh look, a giant sea creature! I'm going to go and ride around on it" not knowing that in reality, that would possibly be the last thing you ever did ;)

That said, I give it a 10/10. I can find no flaw in it and even after I find all the secrets, I know I'll be visiting it again and again just to explore and enjoy the undersea world and soundscape.

Kudos Matt Nava, Giant Squid and Austin Wintory for making this amazing game. All of you deserve the high praise and accolades that the game is receiving and I can't wait to see what you guys team up for again on your next project!

Creamium

shut uuuuuuuuuuuuuuup
I let out a gasp
when I revived the shark, grabbed onto it and was able to zap those annoying triangles
. That felt so good.

Overall I think this game was on par with Journey, just an all-round incredible experience.

I let out a gasp
when I revived the shark, grabbed onto it and was able to zap those annoying triangles
. That felt so good.

Overall I think this game was on par with Journey, just an all-round incredible experience.

Wouldn't it be awesome if there was some way that they could make a PS4 Collector's Edition of ABZÛ that included Journey also? While they're at it, throw in Flower and flOw! That would be amazing!

Ferr986

There's nothing to check how many shells I got and how many I still miss, right?

Surprised I only missed one medidation statue, and it was the very first one lol

There's nothing to check how many shells I got and how many I still miss, right?

Surprised I only missed one medidation statue, and it was the very first one lol

The ancient shrines/ruins between each level have a wall that shows you each level and how many of the three shells in each you have collected. I'm not sure of this, but I think that they go in order from left to right - like beginning, middle and end of level as to the three displayed, so that might be of some help!

Ferr986

The ancient shrines/ruins between each level have a wall that shows you each level and how many of the three shells in each you have collected. I'm not sure of this, but I think that they go in order from left to right - like beginning, middle and end of level as to the three displayed, so that might be of some help!

Thanks!
You know, I was thinking on checking that right now, because I remember seeing some shell things in odd patterns on those walls.

I only need this trophy and the fishes one (so, the hardest ones to do lol), then I'll have them all and I'll do another one sitting playthrough to just look around again!

Correct.

The reward for collecting all the shells is pretty neat, too.
Super Suit with infinite boost if you hold down X+R2 once the boost is activated.

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
I finished the game last night, and sadly my opinion of it, that I expressed in the review thread, hasn't changed any. I really didn't like it, and regret spending money and time on it. I thought this was going to be right up my alley as I loved Flower and Journey, but no.

ced

Finished it last night in one sitting, didn't look at time but felt pretty short.

It was decent, visuals and music are incredible, but it really felt like it was just Journey v2, and not as good.

Ferr986

Random stuff I saw (spoilers)
just landed on the area where the seashell is in the latest chapter (oposite of the polar island) and that rock is full of cute rabbits :)

Also there's a seemingly diver robotic decapitated corpse in Chapter 5, in the hologram room

JoshHood

Just finished the game - find all the Journey comparisons interesting, because (aside from visually) it seemed a lot more like a watery Flower sequel to me. The flow through the rushing areas, the way the camera acts, the animals swarming round you like the petals etc.

Loved it, btw.

Random stuff I saw (spoilers)
just landed on the area where the seashell is in the latest chapter (oposite of the polar island) and that rock is full of cute rabbits :)

Also there's a seemingly diver robotic decapitated corpse in Chapter 5, in the hologram room

Also
the flowers on that outcropping with the second to last seashell look like the flower from Flower, also seen in Journey. I wonder if the flOw creature is down in the depths somewhere?

semiconscious

Gold Member

better than nothing, i guess, but would've been really nice to include the collectible info for each chapter on the chapter select menu screen :) ...

RoboPlato

I'd be in the dick
Also
the flowers on that outcropping with the second to last seashell look like the flower from Flower, also seen in Journey. I wonder if the flOw creature is down in the depths somewhere?
The decent into the deep ocean looked like a flOw reference to me. Top down camera angle and glowing white creatures.

dreamfall

Loving every minute so far, so much tranquility. I wish there was a way to get rid of all text - no prompts for meditating, or aquatic animal names, nothing. I almost feel like it interrupts my flow.

I'm blown away with it thus far!

Loved the
prehistoric
animals. When I saw the door ornaments I thought, I hope
Duncleosteus or Dinichtys
is in this. And oh boy, I wasn't disappointed.

Loving every minute so far, so much tranquility. I wish there was a way to get rid of all text - no prompts for meditating, or aquatic animal names, nothing. I almost feel like it interrupts my flow.

I'm blown away with it thus far!

I'm glad your enjoying it!

I adore it and I hope we get a physical Collector's Edition with extra levels, content, developer commentary and an art gallery. Would you guys buy something like that?

dreamfall

I'm glad your enjoying it!

I adore it and I hope we get a physical Collector's Edition with extra levels, content, developer commentary and an art gallery. Would you guys buy something like that?

I hope they put out an ABZÛ art book like Nava and thatgamecompany did with Journey. I'm one of those players that missed out on the Journey statue and I will forever regret it. Definitely bought the collection physically, would definitely pick it up for ABZÛ. And Wintory's soundtrack on vinyl! Maybe an art print also!

Wow. Just finished my first playthrough and absolutely love(d) the game. The art direction and graphics are damn beautiful and pure eye candy, not to mention the music which is simply brilliant.

I'll be doing a second playthrough tomorrow as I missed out on a few things.

I prefer this over Journey by far. If they ever decide to release a physical version of it, I'm there day one.

~Kinggi~

Banned
Wow, now im upset. Fucking you can get the game off GMG for 12$, bought it yesterday off steam for 15.99. Wasnt even for preorder on GMG. goddamnit.

I hope they put out an ABZÛ art book like Nava and thatgamecompany did with Journey. I'm one of those players that missed out on the Journey statue and I will forever regret it. Definitely bought the collection physically, would definitely pick it up for ABZÛ. And Wintory's soundtrack on vinyl! Maybe an art print also!

Matt Nava said in my interview with him that an art book is something he is looking into doing - that and some sort of Collector's Edition that may feature multiple versions of ABZÛ, since the game went through many design and creative iterations.

I prefer this over Journey by far. If they ever decide to release a physical version of it, I'm there day one.

Me too on both points :)

Great White
is the new king of video game companions. Love it.
It was basically...

YEaOovF.gif

I'm sure we all know of the well timed 3 X presses but after leaping out of the water 2 more well timed presses creates another boost. Can only seem to get it to work near the surface.

ironmang

Kind of a small complaint but turning off inversion made the part where you
get out of the water and walk very awkward. Took me a minute to realize I needed to hold down to walk forward. Same with treading water.
I thought the game glitched and restarted lol. Loved everything else even if the emotional impact didn't hit me the same as Journey. That's pretty much the highest of bars though.

Kind of a small complaint but turning off inversion made the part where you
get out of the water and walk very awkward. Took me a minute to realize I needed to hold down to walk forward. Same with treading water.
I thought the game glitched and restarted lol. Loved everything else even if the emotional impact didn't hit me the same as Journey. That's pretty much the highest of bars though.

Seeing
the part with the Blue Whales and then later on the Sperm Whales lurking in the depths with the Giant Squid and then the unbelievably exhilarating, glorious last chapter all topped Journey for me. As a lover of all-things ocean, being able to virtually dive-in and see these actual creatures realistically behaving as though they would in reality - something I would never see in real life - was a true joy to experience.

ironmang

Seeing
the part with the Blue Whales and then later on the Sperm Whales lurking in the depths with the Giant Squid and then the unbelievably exhilarating, glorious last chapter all topped Journey for me. As a lover of all-things ocean, being able to virtually dive-in and see these actual creatures realistically behaving as though they would in reality - something I would never see in real life - was a true joy to experience.

Like I said, I don't fault it at all for not living up to my experience with Journey. I went into Journey not even knowing there was a co-op component and all of the sudden there's another person chirping at me and I don't even know their PSN or anything. Playing the whole game together, waiting as one went afk for a couple minutes, seeing the ending together, everything. I felt ABZU was great but not GOAT.

jg4xchamp

Played and beat it in one sitting. It's definitely pretty, and yeah the word serene would fit, but I'm not, either I didn't get it, but I don't really have an investment or reaction to what I just did.

It was a pleasing experience in an aesthetic sense, but Journey did enough with me interacting with it that evoked certain responses. I had a good time just messing with the dinging noise button with my coop mate, the little bit of friction while you're on that cliff, how sand surfing in general felt more engaging, while being just as mechanically simple as this game.

To me that circle of life story was conveyed so much better, and part of it was because the game had that coop partner thing going on. Abzu was I swam, I pressed x on stuff, and then I tackled things?

Like I said, I don't fault it at all for not living up to my experience with Journey. I went into Journey not even knowing there was a co-op component and all of the sudden there's another person chirping at me and I don't even know their PSN or anything. Playing the whole game together, waiting as one went afk for a couple minutes, seeing the ending together, everything. I felt ABZU was great but not GOAT.

I would say it's the best ocean GOAT.

Don't get me wrong, I love Journey - but it's only real "wow" moments are the visuals, the Trials section and then of course, how it ends.

Literally every second of ABZÛ is a "wow moment. If Giant Squid really does release some kind of Special Edition that has extra levels that added both content and narrative; this game could possibly be GOAT.

I would love to see a level in between the Atlantis section and the next chapter that was deeper in the abyss, possibly at the very bottom of the sea [a place like the Mariana Trench] that was pitch black, other than the light from your helmet lights and also from the drones you would find and it featured Megalodons and Mosasaurs and any other massive, sea-dwelling, prehistoric creatures.

That would give all the people that said there wasn't enough tension in the game something to be tense about! That, and it would give us an extra level or two and a lot of other cool, prehistoric sea creatures!

There's your next mission Giant Squid LOL! ;)

Samikaze

I've always had a huge fascination with the ocean and it's life, but have a tremendous fear of murky or deep water.

Even in games, I'm on edge the entire time I'm under water. White knuckled, tapping my feet on the floor, and rambling to anyone sitting next to me. What games like Amnesia, Soma, and Alien: Isolation to to people, deep water in games does to me.

This game was a bit of a challenge to play at first, but the music and urge to explore really pushed me on.

Thanks Giant Squid! You allowed me to finally enjoy a deep water game without crapping my pants.

Top Bottom