• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown |OT| Yo, buddy...still alive?

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Beat the game a few days ago btw. Great game. The ending level gave me slight Wipeout vibes which was not expected.

mcz117chief

"Made adjustments to target switching"

Good. Some of the stuff in Ace Combat 7 infuriates me and the insanely random target switching was one of them. Hope it is a significant improvement. I don't understand why they never brought back that amazing targeting system from Zero.

Last edited:

Barnabot

Btw I've managed to get Walrus to show up even with Mig-29A Fulcrum with machine gun + 4AAM in the "Stonehenge Defensive" mission. I guess the key element to not let any of those railguns to get hit is the maneuverability.

MadYarpen

Hey, anyone tried to play this on PC with DS4? For example via steam?

I don't want to play it with KB/M setup, but only controller I have is from PS4. I know there are issues with controllers with this game.

I also don't want to buy the dedicated controller, because not many games can be played with this, I don't have any plane simulators etc.

Barnabot

Hey, anyone tried to play this on PC with DS4? For example via steam?

I don't want to play it with KB/M setup, but only controller I have is from PS4. I know there are issues with controllers with this game.

I also don't want to buy the dedicated controller, because not many games can be played with this, I don't have any plane simulators etc.
What issues? Currently I`m using a Wii U Pro controller to play the game. Xbox one controller works fine aswell.

Barnabot

To this day, i still can't finish mission 20.....
Try picking MIG-29A. it's not a fast plane bu it has high maneuverability. Arm it with 4 AAM and wait them to align in front of of since you are a slow plane they will need to adjust their speed to yours.

Or just pick a F-15C with laser shots and use that on the enemy planes.

Shifty

Proper HOTAS support, nice. Unfortunate that it's tied to certain models, but it's better than nothing.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Proper HOTAS support, nice. Unfortunate that it's tied to certain models, but it's better than nothing.
I mean, it always had support for certain models. They expanded the list a bit now, sure. With just Thrustmaster stuff (though again any that work as Xbox controllers should work, like some Hori stuff that were supported previously, god knows with what mapping).

My stick is now supported. But it's still far from proper support. You can't configure controls in any way, they just decided what Xbox controller input would map to what part of each model on their own and left it at that. Nothing in the game even tells you what does what, you have to figure it out.

My stick has a crappy throttle, I'd rather use my keyboard for that but if I press it takes in account what the stick throttle is set to, if it's maxed on the stick and I decelerate on keyboard it will not take over and instead only go down to half, if on the stick it's zero and I accelerate on the keyboard again it will only go halfway up, not fully. And crucially once I let go of the key it will revert to whatever it is on the stick, even though no new input was sent from it.

I found the input.ini file and deleted the throttle mapping on the stick altogether, but now it acts as if it's always set in the middle. So I can accelerate and slow down fully with the keyboard input but once again if I let go it returns to the half point rather than stick to what it is when I let go. So even the keyboard is treated like an Xbox pad I guess, as if the W and S keys I set to accelerate and decelerate are just the Xbox triggers which are always at half when none is pressed and decelerate/accelerate by one or the other.

So yeah they just treat it all as an Xbox gamepad and leave it at that with no real way to configure it in game and no real controls options on any level. It's pretty barebones and frankly quite bad. I guess it's playable now for me but I want it enjoyable, not playable.

The hat switch on my stick does nothing but work the menus even though it's otherwise hurting for more input options and it has things mapped weirdly in both sides (even though it has buttons on both sides just to ensure it works for left and right handed people).

I could maybe delve in the ini file and map some more things differently to my preferences but I shouldn't have to and it'd be too time consuming to even figure out what button does what to then change it to something else etc.

Like, how hard is it to make a menu that lets me choose a function and then wait for an input by whatever device, completely agnostic, just waiting for an input to be pressed to map it, whether it's an axis or digital or whatever. Ffs. They have that for the keyboard config already so they can.

Last edited:

Shifty

I mean, it always had support for certain models. They expanded the list a bit, sure. With just Thrustmaster stuff (though again any that work as Xbox controllers should work, like some Hori stuff that were supported previously, god knows with what mapping though).

My stick is now supported. But it's still far from proper support. You can't configure controls in any way, they just decided what Xbox controller input would map to what part of each model on their own and left it at that. Nothing in the game even tells you what does what, you have to figure it out.

My stick has a crappy throttle, I'd rather use my keyboard for that but if I press it takes in account what the stick throttle is set to, if it's maxed on the stick and I decelerate on keyboard it will not take over and instead only go down to half. If on the stick it's zero and I accelerate on the keyboard again it will only go halfway up. And crucially once I let go of the key it will revert to whatever it is on the stick, even though no new input was sent for it.

I found the input.ini file and deleted the throttle mapping on the stick altogether, but now it acts as if it's always set in the middle. So I can accelerate and slow down fully with the keyboard input but once again if I let go it returns to the half point rather than stick to what it is when I let go.

So yeah they just treat it all as an Xbox gamepad and leave it at that with no real way to configure it in game and no real controls options on any level. It's pretty barebones and frankly quite bad. I guess it's playable now for me but I want it enjoyable, not playable.

I could maybe delve in the ini file and map some more things differently to my preferences but I shouldn't have to and it'd be too time consuming to even figure out what button does what to then change it to something else etc.

Like, how hard is it to make a menu that lets me choose a function and then wait for an input by whatever device, completely agnostic, just waiting for an input to be pressed to map it, whether it's an axis or digital or whatever. Ffs.
That's disappointing to hear. Does it at least have a reduced deadzone?

I ended up cobbling together my own setup using Thrustmaster TARGET scripting, Steam Input, and some creative anti-deadzone tweaking. That worked quite nicely, but still didn't maximize its potential thanks to some functions that should be analog (yaw specifically) instead being digital.

With regard to "how hard can it be", Unreal's DirectInput support is shockingly poor out of the box. Nothing stopping Bamco from writing their own input module of course, but it's surprising how barebones certain industry-standard tech is these days...

Last edited:

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
I didn't play too much but deadzone did feel off so I had to fight and overshoot my turns and stuff so probably not. I want pretty much 0 or close to that deadzone with my stick (T.16000M) since it has HAL sensors and is rather accurate but this game felt off.

Last edited:

mcz117chief

ADF-01 Falken is now unlocked.

tenor.gif

Not trying to be cynical or anything but the game was a major disappointment for me, I wish we could still play Ace Combat Infinity. It had the best gameplay out of all the Ace Combat games and was just so good, I didn't even mind the fuel limit.

Barnabot

tenor.gif

Not trying to be cynical or anything but the game was a major disappointment for me, I wish we could still play Ace Combat Infinity. It had the best gameplay out of all the Ace Combat games and was just so good, I didn't even mind the fuel limit.
But Ace combat 7 is all we got now. Forget about piloting those AC3 and ACX planes because that Infinity game is no longer available. I wish I could get another plane instead of Falken since Raven is already in the game. Who know bamco can add more planes as dlc in the future.

A.Romero

I liked the game enough and planning to double dip on PC once the VR missions stop being exclusive (if ever). That said, I won't spend a dime on DLC planes...

mcz117chief

So far I've sinked 83 hours in this game.
You know, I am actually glad for Ace Combat 7, but not because of Ace Combat 7. I am glad it came out because we got Ace Combat 5 at 60fps in high res on PS4, which is an infinitely better game than 7. For that reason alone I am super glad that we got AC7.

Barnabot

You know, I am actually glad for Ace Combat 7, but not because of Ace Combat 7. I am glad it came out because we got Ace Combat 5 at 60fps in high res on PS4, which is an infinitely better game than 7. For that reason alone I am super glad that we got AC7.
I don't. PC gamer here. And could agree with you if you were talking about you playing AC: Zero.

mcz117chief

I don't. PC gamer here. And could agree with you if you were talking about you playing AC: Zero.
AC:Zero is fantastic too and I would also love to see it get the same treatment as AC5. However, the music and story is ever so slightly better in AC5. Zero has the best singular character in the AC series, Pixy, and the final battle with him is probably the best boss fight in video game history but there are a few dull missions in the Zero campaign and it only has a few genuinely good tracks and the over-arcing story isn't nearly as good as the one in AC5. On the other hand bombing of Hofnung is one of the most memorable missions in Ace Combat history. I routinely had this internal argument in my mind which one is better and have flip flopped on this issue all the time.

Barnabot

Yo buddy it's ADFX-01 Morgan time.

There's a review on reddit about that:

DIdn't you like it?
"That's what V2 is for"

Barnabot

Anti-Cheat for PC incoming:

Greetings pilots!

We’ve been listening closely to community feedback and are committed to providing the best possible experience to all our players. Therefore, we have decided to implement anti-cheating measures to the Steam version of Ace Combat 7: Skies Unknown. For full details, you can check the questions below:

When will this feature become operational?
The anti-cheat is scheduled to go live at the end of August.

Will the anti-cheat be implemented for all versions of the game?
The anti-cheat is coming only to the Steam version.

What will the anti-cheat system consider a bannable offense?
We are targeting multiplayer cheating, like invincibility, unlimited ammunition, or any other type of unfair advantage.

How long will the bans last? Can a player be unbanned?
Bans will be permanent for multiplayer mode. Banned players can still play single player.

I am using single player mods, can I be banned?
Single player mods will not be targeted by the anti-cheat system.

I played more a couple of days ago but realized that I bought this game because I hate myself since there are no other real modern flying games available on X1. Dialogue is so bad I skip the cut scenes and next time I boot it back up gonna see if I can turn the in mission chatter off. I think I could trade off stomaching it if they had coop mode for the campaign.

mcz117chief

I played more a couple of days ago but realized that I bought this game because I hate myself since there are no other real modern flying games available on X1. Dialogue is so bad I skip the cut scenes and next time I boot it back up gonna see if I can turn the in mission chatter off. I think I could trade off stomaching it if they had coop mode for the campaign.
Have you tried 6? The story is significantly better although not nearly as good as 5 or 0.

Last edited:

Poordevil

I dunno. Never played an Ace Combat game. Reading the overview in this OT I'm thinking, can this possibly be any fun? My first flight combat game was Red Baron 3D on my cutting edge Pentium III personal computer. Talk about an awesome combat flight sim! Tried IL2, but world war 1 is more my style. However those days are over and I would be willing to give modern jets a chance. But the OT makes the game sound almost mindlessly simplistic. Is it exciting? is it challenging? is there a learning curve of some kind? Is it anything at all like flying a jet fighter? Maybe I am just expecting too much.

StreetsofBeige

Gold Member
I dunno. Never played an Ace Combat game. Reading the overview in this OT I'm thinking, can this possibly be any fun? My first flight combat game was Red Baron 3D on my cutting edge Pentium III personal computer. Talk about an awesome combat flight sim! Tried IL2, but world war 1 is more my style. However those days are over and I would be willing to give modern jets a chance. But the OT makes the game sound almost mindlessly simplistic. Is it exciting? is it challenging? is there a learning curve of some kind? Is it anything at all like flying a jet fighter? Maybe I am just expecting too much.
I played most AC games.... AC2 to AC Horizon. Haven't played the last few games.

The sweet spot of the series was AC 4 and 5 on PS2.

Once you've played one, you've played them all. Unless the last AC game is totally different, AC games have an arcadey feel to them (which is fine for me) where even if you use the Novice Controls you can blow through the game no problem.

All AC games have a few camera views.

The games look and play smooth (though the Xbox 360 games only ran at 30 fps). But pretty sure the latest one is 60 fps.

You'll likely get wowed at the crisp graphics and easy controls. But gameplay will be arcadey and boring if you're used to more complex controls and gameplay. You are not going to get hardcore controls like a PC sim.

mcz117chief

It is exciting.
It is as challenging as you make it using the difficulty settings which go from retardedly easy to insanely hardcore.
Learning curve is minimal. I started with Ace Combat 5 demo when I was like 12 which, I think, didn't even have a tutorial and I was fine.
It isn't overly realistic but the flight model is pretty decent. I think what Ace Combat does it hits that fine line between realism and arcade. Weapons though, are insanely arcadey. They have almost no guidance and you carry dozens or even over a hundred missiles.
Ace Combat 7 is pretty meh to be honest. I would suggest playing any of the previous ones. On the other hand if you play 7 and like it you will absolutely love the previous ones.

If I had to rate them, it would be something like this: Zero = 5 = Infinity > X > 6 > Assault Horizon > 2 > 4 > 7 > 3. Infinity is kind of special, for one it doesn't exist anymore and two it was an online game. None of the game are bad though, which is quite rare.

Last edited:

Poordevil

Thanks for the replies you guys! I may give it a try. For me it would be something different than the games I have been playing lately. That's good for starters, hehe.

Did the princess take a missile to the face and live? I must have blinked and missed something.

but very awesome game. Story was all over and confusing with who was who in very oddly named areas. But damn the flying was great.

blackjon24

First real crack at the series and this game is something else. I absolutely love it. Playing with expert controls and its hard as hell but man it feels good when you start to get the hang of things

SLUG_____

Neo Member
I did the guns only run in this game and am part way through the no damage run. I'd 100% the game but the multiplayer achievements can bite my butt.

Top Bottom