• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Activision Wants To Suggest You Games Based On The Live Streams You Watch

IbizaPocholo

NeoGAFs Kent Brockman

Watching live gaming content online has been a popular activity for decades, but there has been only a little innovation in the popular service. Activision may have found a unique way to add more immersion to it. A new patent published by the company wants to analyze the spectators’ data to give players personalized game suggestions, modify existing gameplay, or even whip up new games on the spot for the viewers.

The present specification
The present specification relates to systems and methods for dynamically modifying a gaming experience or gaming content based on non-video gaming content being concurrently experienced by a user, typically on a media channel or platform different than the video game,” reads the patent.
The flowchart image shows the working of the proposed system.

The patent dubbed “SYSTEMS AND METHODS FOR DYNAMICALLY MODIFYING VIDEO GAME CONTENT BASED ON NON-VIDEO GAMING CONTENT BEING CONCURRENTLY EXPERIENCED BY A USER” talks about altering a user’s video game content based on the gaming content they are watching at the given moment. In other words, you may get random gameplay changes or get offered other games to play while watching streams.

The document argues that watching live streams tends to be a passive activity in contrast to gaming. Activision wants to bring changes that allow both streamers and viewers to be more engaged with each other. The system may actively alter the gameplay of a game as the stream continues, allowing for greater levels of immersion. Meanwhile, you may get suggestions to try different games.

There has yet to be disclosed systems and methods for actually integrating, effecting or modifying video game play concurrent with a separate video stream or broadcast video. More specifically, there is a need to contextually integrate video games being concurrently experienced with a video stream.”
The flowchart image shows modifying and implementing a game.

The system can grow engagement for the streamer and attract viewers alike, as per Activision. Once a passive activity could become a rewarding venture for the viewers, letting them play altered games or new titles altogether alongside the stream.

[It] uses that data to dynamically recommend a video game for the user to play, generate a video game for the user to play, or modify content of the video game being played, as the user experiences the video stream or broadcast video.”
The image shows the live stream screen and the generated game stream.

The streamer and viewers could even play together in this scenario, influencing the streamed game for even more fun to be had; this idea was explored in another patent that was published by Activision earlier. It talked about letting viewers of a gaming live stream directly influence the gameplay of the streamer.

FeralEcho

This is all becoming so tiresome.

Remember when we were just playing games just cuz they were fun...Now it's all battlepasses,subscriptions,woke propaganda,gaas,templates for future ads in games,now this.... I'm getting to a point where I'm just done with all of it...

nemiroff

Gold Member
Activision only has like 3 active games right now. Do they really need to see my live stream history to recommend me Call of Duty, Diablo, or World of Warcraft?

It's a patent, it could be licensed. With that said, this is purely a clickbait "story", it's just another method patent that will never see the light of day. It shouldn't be news, and it shouldn't be a thread on gaf.

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum

Remember when we were just playing games just cuz they were fun...Now it's all battlepasses,subscriptions,woke propaganda,gaas,templates for future ads in games,now this.... I'm getting to a point where I'm just done with all of it...
You can avoid most of those crap based on developers you choose to buy your games from......you dont see that type of crap with FROM and Vanillaware.

I dont even have to try to "boycott" Activision because they just dont release games I enjoy, the only thing they ever done was publish Sekiro for west.

This is why I love playing Nintendo games.

You buy a game, you get a game. Done.

StueyDuck

Jokes on them. I go outside and have a life, I don't watch any live streams except from showcases.

And if they don't know by now that new games are what people want then I don't know what to tell them

Lunarorbit

I wish Sony would attempt to recommend me anything remotely related to what I play. It's all paid ads on psn. Stop recommending me fifa,madden,Gershon impact,fortnite. I've never played any of those

I wish Sony would attempt to recommend me anything remotely related to what I play. It's all paid ads on psn. Stop recommending me fifa,madden,Gershon impact,fortnite. I've never played any of those

They had a patent or something leading up to the PS4 launch where it would not only recommend you games based on what you play but even install them for you on case you wanted to buy. Idk what ever came of it.

ReBurn

Gold Member
It's not like tracking online activity and using that data to influence people is a thing Activision just invented. Some people would probably enjoy the personalized recommendations if they were good.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
It's not like tracking online activity and using that data to influence people is a thing Activision just invented. Some people would probably enjoy the personalized recommendations if they were good.

True, getting preference based recommendations based on my playing trends is a better alternative to getting ads about games I have no interest in.

Top Bottom