• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Advent Rising: I won't play it because it has mormons

demi

Mormons? More like morons, which is what you are if you say such idiotic things. And what is with the whole mormon thing anyway? Idiots.

This game is awesome.

Where's my continuation!?

oh it's so buggy filled-

FUCK OFF. I encountered zero bugs my entire time.

Dual rocket launchers is AWESOME, BANG BANG SLOWMO WHOOPS WHATS THAT OH A ROCKET TO YOUR FACE AND SOME CRYSTAL ICE SHARDS TO THE CHIN

And then after smoking like 30 aliens, the animation for reloading is just so soothing, flipping both of my rocket launchers at the same time while doing a cartwheel flip to the side in slowmo, proceeding with a multi-lift and launching all my rockets at close range. MAN it's so good.

The music really gets you in the zone, definitely sets the mood for hot human demigod destruction.

256061.jpg
242405.jpg

But yeah, I can see why it got such low scores.

BECAUSE THEY ARE BIASED MOTHAFUCKAS

THIS GAME IS AWESOME RENT IT

demi factor

demi

I dunno matlock said he wouldn't play it because it's space mormons or something

And something about the Orson Scott guy being a mormon or something

I dunno something about mormons I guess

mormons

Eric P

the thing that most impressed me about this game was the handling of the early "Armageddon" levels.

it was hands down the best i think i've ever experienced from a game.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
demi said:
I dunno matlock said he wouldn't play it because it's space mormons or something

And something about the Orson Scott guy being a mormon or something

I dunno

Orson Scott Card is infamous for sticking little mormon subtexts into his novels. *shrug* don't see what it has to do with the game since he only wrote a small part of it.

maharg

idspispopd
People don't seem to have much trouble with Battlestar Galactica being basically a retelling of the Book of Mormon, so...

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
Being against gay marriage doesnt automatically make you a homophobe. (I cba to read the entire articles so excuse my laziness if he said something more blatently homophobic inside)

Error

Jealous of the Glory that is Johnny Depp
Did I miss something here? since when the Developer's ideals or religion has anything to do to determine if a game sucks or not?

demi

Bacon said:
Demi: It's easier not to complain when you have a pirated version you got for free. I'm sure the game isn't worth $50.

I don't recall saying buy it, do I?

Returned this crap after 2 days of seizures.

If nothing else it shows that Microsoft's software approval dept doesn't exist.

brandonnn

BEAUTY&SEXY
Ghost said:
Being against gay marriage doesnt automatically make you a homophobe.

Saying

Already any child with androgynous appearance or mannerisms -- effeminite boys and masculine girls -- are being nurtured and guided (or taunted and abused) into "accepting" what many of them never suspected they had -- a desire to permanently move into homosexual society.

In other words, society will bend all its efforts to seize upon any hint of homosexuality in our young people and encourage it.

(amongst a baker's dozen other such quotes) kind of does.

That article was fucking awful, almost parodic even, if I didn't know that he believed every word he snarled out.

sangreal

This game was so poorly polished I had to give it up within 15 minutes. Shame, cause I was really looking forward to it. Hopefully its sequels get the attention they deserve.

Paid $50 dollars for this turd of a game. 3 weeks later EBGames only gave me $25.00 on a trade in. It was a miracle they gave me anything for it.

Crappy controls
Framerate problems (even on cutscenes)
Early PS2 level graphics

demi

I didn't have a problem with the controls, but framerate I'll give ya, along with the graphics. They had these "wide" areas but I was limited to one set path where all the enemies bunched together.

And you paid $50, that's your own damn fault. Never ever pay full price on new releases.

Ever.

Ranger X

demi said:
And you paid $50, that's your own damn fault. Never ever pay full price on new releases.

Ever.

When you're not convinced about a 50$, just rent the game. This should be given for everyone. Waiting for the bargain bins is why Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts are so rare and not selling.

Wyzdom said:
When you're not convinced about a 50$, just rent the game. This should be given for everyone. Waiting for the bargain bins is why Beyond Good and Evil and Psychonauts are so rare and not selling.

For some reason I thought I would get better than half the value.

I agree with this point. Everyone is raving about Psychonauts, but for every person that raves about it, two say that they are waiting for a price drop.

Too bad because I doubt you'll see that dev studio make another platformer.

Flynn

brandonnn said:
That article was fucking awful, almost parodic even, if I didn't know that he believed every word he snarled out.
\

Agreed. I once admired Card, but reading those two pieces changed my opinion of him forever.

Ghost

Chili Con Carnage!
I wish more games had the level of investment Majesco have clearly given Advent Rising, the presentation is fantastic...the music is a little overbearing at times but it is really good music, and the screenplay is right up there with the best I've seen (theres even a training montage :lol).

The gameplay is kinda cool too i think. It has been compared to Psi-ops, to me the best bits of Psi-ops were the run and gun bits (not the lame stealth bits) and Advent Rising is all run and gun (as far as ive played). It could probably do with slowing down a bit and being a tad more methodical, the auto aim is so good that things do degenerate into mindless action at times.

The game is let down by the art in my opinion, its not bad really its just a mixture of not right and not enough. All the humans seem to have the same face (plus or minus facial fair), and the same build, theres no detail to any of them, including the main character (which is a shame because he actually seems like an interesting character). The aliens just dont really suit their roles imo, the bad guys dont look nearly evil enough and the good guys totally lack character.

I dont think its a bad looking game, its patchy, some parts have wowed me, others seem rushed.

I dont find the frame rate that bad to be honest, most of the dips ive seen actually occurred outside combat for some reason, bugged i guess. The cutscenes (framerates) are no worse than Halo 2s, not ideal but i can live with it.

I hope they Glyphx get to make the entire trilogy, for a rookie developer to come straight out with a project so grand in ambition (even if it does fall a little short of its lofty goals) shows real courage.

I know its been delayed a couple of times but I think its a big mistake to have launched AR when they have. If they'd shifted this to 360 as soon as they had the chance and released at launch it could have been a great success for Majesco...as it stands if we get the trilogy they are sure to all fail in terms of sales.

Fatghost

Gas Guzzler
Battle Star Galactica is also full of Mormonisms. Mormons are the first real science fiction based religion anyway...They had the idea God was a space alien way before those upstart Scientologists or Heaven's Gaters.

Sinatar

Official GAF Bottom Feeder
So anyone get the PC version yet? How does it translate over? Have yet to see any legitimate reviews of the PC copy to see if the framerate is a bit more stable and how well the targetting transfers to a mouse.

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Fatghost28 said:
Battle Star Galactica is also full of Mormonisms. Mormons are the first real science fiction based religion anyway...They had the idea God was a space alien way before those upstart Scientologists or Heaven's Gaters.

What?? Let's not get into religion on the gaming side of the world here. But Mormons have absolutely NO belief that God is a space alien. You are severly misinformed. Mormons believe the same thing that all Christian religions believe. God the father, his Son Jesus and the Holy Ghost. No aliens.
We leave those to Sigourney Weaver and crew.

Now back to our normal scheduled programing: Advent Rising is still good in my eyes. And I'm amazed at how well Majesco has marketed this game. If only EA would put forth half the effort as this for Oddworld: Strangers Wrath, maybe it would have actually sold.

Mihyaeru

Wait... Who is this guy... The guy that wrote the story... Looks like there are more gay guys in it that mormons to me... havn't played it though...

Truelize

Steroid Distributor
Comfort_Eagle said:
Mormans do really suck, but then so do every christians. oh shit.

That's a pretty bold/rude statement. I would say that is as bad as making rude comments towards any of our gay community here at GAF which is something you get banned for.

Top Bottom