• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

After Brexit, legitimate human rights concerns for the present and future.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Joe

uMOxJnQ.jpg

Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein, U.N. Humans Rights High Commissioner
Hate is being mainstreamed

When the Inter-American Commission announces it has to cut its personnel by forty percent – and when States have already withdrawn from it and the Inter-American Court...

When States Parties have threatened to withdraw from the Rome Statute of the International Criminal Court – and, even more recently, others threaten to leave the United Nations, or the European Court of Human Rights and the European Union...

When those calling for departure have seemingly already fled in their minds from the urge to protect the world from the untold sorrow and miseries which twice swept it, and brought about the creation of many of these very institutions...

When filthy abuse by politicians of the vulnerable is tolerated...

When the laws – human rights law, refugee law, international humanitarian law – are increasingly violated, and when hospitals are bombed – but no one is punished...

When human rights, the two words, are so rarely found in the world of finance and business, in its literature, in its lexicon...

When working for the collective benefit of all people, everywhere is apparently losing its ardour...

Then do we really still have an international community?
Hate is becoming mainstreamed. Walls – which tormented previous generations, and have never yielded any sustainable solution to any problem – are returning. Barriers of suspicion are rising, snaking through and between our societies – and they are killers. Clampdowns on public freedoms, and crackdowns on civil society activists and human rights defenders, are hacking away at the forces which uphold the healthy functioning of societies. Judicial institutions which act as checks on executive power are being dismantled. Towering inequalities are hollowing out the sense that there are common goods.

These trends bleed nations of their innate resilience. They do not make them safe: they make them weaker. Piece by piece, these mutually reinforcing trends are shearing off the protections that maintain respect, enable development, and provide the only fragile basis for world peace. They are attacks on sanity. And they can be reversed.

Human Rights Watch
UK: Act to Curb Xenophobic Attacks After Referendum

Individuals from minority ethnic and religious groups and people of other EU nationalities have reported being victims of verbal and physical abuse, and a Polish community center was daubed with threatening xenophobic graffiti.

All British political leaders – particularly those who supported the campaign to leave the EU, which at times included anti-immigrant and anti-refugee rhetoric – should promptly speak out loudly, firmly, and repeatedly against xenophobic violence and abuse and the climate of xenophobia that can embolden or give legitimacy to those who would commit such crimes.

The UK authorities have an obligation to ensure public safety and protect against discrimination and racism, and a failure by the authorities and political leaders to address – and be seen to address – these initial attacks risks creating a permissive climate for further attacks and exacerbating divisions within society.

Benjamin Ward (Deputy Director of Human Rights Watch Europe and Central Asia)
Now more than ever the UK needs the compass of human rights

After a divisive contest in which curbing immigration and “taking back the country” were major themes for those leading the “Leave” campaign, the UK has seen a worrying rash of xenophobic incidents against ethnic and religious minorities and those perceived as citizens from other EU countries. It is vital that those incidents are met with firm political condemnation, as David Cameron and London’s mayor have done, and an effective police response. And it is pivotal to do more to prevent such attacks.

In uncertain times like these, human rights are more important than ever. The government must fully enforce rights such as equality under the law, and protection from discrimination and violence. Protecting these rights will help to ensure that whatever way the UK moves forward, it will do so in a way that is consistent with its values.
By incorporating the European Convention on Human Rights into domestic law in 2000, the British government enabled ordinary people to secure their rights through domestic courts, instead of needing to go to the European Court of Human Rights in Strasbourg. This also allows for closer engagement by UK courts and people in how the Convention is applied.

Now, instead of being celebrated, many critics are blaming that law—the Human Rights Act—as well the Convention itself for many ills. These critics object to rules that make it harder to deport foreigners—when convicted of criminal offences—who have strong family ties in Britain. They’ve also raised objections to a European Court ruling against the UK’s blanket denial of voting rights to prisoners.

New York Times
As Migrants Face Abuse, Fear That ‘Brexit’ Has Given License to Xenophobia

Although the police in at least two major cities said they had not recorded an increase in hate crimes after the vote, there were concerns that anti-immigrant sentiment was now rippling through British society and infecting daily life.

During the referendum, the “Leave” campaign effectively stoked fears of an immigrant influx to garner support, and the baiting of refugees was further fanned by concerns about terrorism, the influential euroskeptic tabloid press and by the far-right, which attributed Britain’s economic problems to immigration.
Suresh Grover, director of the Monitoring Group, a human rights group that monitors racist violence and is an advocate for victims, said he feared Britain was entering a new era of intolerance.

“During the campaign there was a deliberate tactic by the Leave camp to create alarm among elements of the population who have suffered from austerity, and this alarmism is now spilling over,” he said. “The far right can only do well in periods of crisis, and the Brexit vote created a new and dangerous chapter of British history.”

Mr. Grover, who immigrated to Britain from Kenya and founded the Monitoring Group in 1981 after he was attacked by skinheads in the 1970s, said his group had received 15 calls on its emergency line over the weekend from immigrants who said they had been attacked verbally.
the West Midlands police, which are responsible for law enforcement in Birmingham, a multicultural city with a large Muslim population, said that reports of 10 hate crimes a day over the past three days were in line with the daily average over the past three months
Rights groups said that the anti-immigrant backlash appeared to be at least partly fueled by a misconception that European Union citizens were required to leave the country after the vote.

Muslim Council of Britain
Concern Raised Over Post-Referendum Division and Hate Crimes

The Muslim Council of Britain today called on political and civic leaders to urgently come together and deal with the division that has come about as a result of the European Referendum and the campaign preceding it. In the past few days, we have witnessed shocking manifestations of hate speech not only online but also on our streets.

There have been countless incidents reported including a Polish centre being daubed with racist graffiti, a racist demonstration outside a mosque in Birmingham, and many reports of Muslims and others being taunted with ‘go back home!’ or similar sentiments. The Muslim Council of Britain has compiled over 100 incidents reported of hate crimes following the referendum result.

Embassy of the Republic of Poland in London
Polish Ambassador's statement following recent incidents of xenophobic abuse directed against Poles in UK.

We are shocked and deeply concerned by the recent incidents of xenophobic abuse directed against the Polish community and other UK residents of migrant heritage.

Embassy is in contact with relevant institutions, and local police are already investigating the two most widely reported cases in Hammersmith, London, and Huntingdon, Cambridgeshire.

We call on all Polish nationals who fall victim of xenophobic abuse and on all witnesses to report such incidents to local authorities.

Zeid Ra’ad Al Hussein
United Nations High Commissioner for Human Rights

"Racism and xenophobia are completely, totally and utterly unacceptable in any circumstances," Zeid said in a statement.
"The United Kingdom has by a democratic act decided to take its leave of the EU. This should not be interpreted by some individuals that they have license to take leave of their senses and embrace a mob-like behaviour in respect of vulnerable communities," he said.

Rightsinfo.org
BREXIT: What Does It Mean For Human Rights?

Our human rights are protected by a complex collection of laws and treaties. The treaties which the UK signed up to by being part of the EU ensured a minimum standard of protection for various rights – for example, employment rights (see our explainer). Those rights won’t all disappear immediately once the UK extracts itself from the EU. But the strong international backstop – which has prevented successive governments from chipping away at and eroding important rights – will fall away.
The UK’s withdrawal from the EU does not automatically affect the UK’s status as a signatory to the European Convention on Human Rights (ECHR). The ECHR is an international treaty distinct from the EU Treaties and EU Charter on Fundamental Rights (see our explainer). Currently, the rights in the European Convention on Human Rights are also protected in UK law through the Human Rights Act. British citizens are still able to rely on their rights in the ECHR in domestic courts and can still take cases to the European Court of Human Rights.

However, there are warning signs that this too might change. The Government has proposed to consult on repealing the Human Rights Act and replacing it with a Bill of Rights. There is not currently an official, formal proposal from the Government to leave the ECHR, but several members of the Cabinet have argued for this.

David Cameron’s resignation will almost certainly lead to the ascendency of the Eurosceptic wing of the Conservative Party, many of whom are sceptical about the ECHR for the same reasons they were about the EU.

The Guardian
(Opinion) After a campaign scarred by bigotry, it’s become OK to be racist in Britain

while researching this article, a university lecturer told me quite casually: “I’m now scared to tell a taxi driver that I’m Polish.”
At Tell Mama, the organisation that monitors hate crimes against Muslims, director Fiyaz Mughal recounted how the “chatter” from small violent far-right extremist groups had risen and risen during the campaign. When Johnson talked about Turkey, they circulated pictures of a church with a minaret photoshopped on top. When Farage talked about sexual-assaulting Syrians, they began talking about “rape-fugees”. This far-right chatter, says Mughal, reached its peak the week MP Jo Cox was killed.

Viewt

When racists win a vote, it tells them that they can fly their racist flags as high as they like.

Whether or not racism is actually the British status quo now, it certainly feels like it's been emboldened to an unbelievable degree. I'm reading all of this from the States, though, so I'd be interested to hear more from the folks living there.

I saw a video earlier of these kids on a train screaming at someone to get out of their country. It was sad. It's only going to get worse before it gets better.

Remember that leaving to vote wasn't about being a racist or legitimising that platform.

They voted for sovereignty and control of their destiny.

Boney

Banned
The continued drive of austerity measures, the collapse of the middle class around the world and the fear of not being able to adapt to this rapidly changing world acts as a platform for this general unrest.

And this scummy demagogue politicians have taken advantage of it like the snake oil salesman that they are and are further scapegoating their way into power.

Islamophobia, in part by the horrific actions of ISIL and perpetuated by the media is the mere start of potentially oppressive governments that will put our "safety" first while taking our birth given rights. And worse could potentially be extremely dangerous to minorities in different countries.

I don't even want to imagine what the next 10 years will bring us, especially if we consider global warming and the impending oil scarcity.

No politician will address these micro scale aggressions until a terrorist attack happens. And the attack could go either way by the continued drive of fear and aggression. Fuck this uneducated, greedy scummy politicians that are intent on driving us to the brink.

AngryMoth

We desperately need better press regulations. For years and years the tabloids have been stoking resentment towards immigrants, muslims, people on benefits, etc. They shouldn't be allowed to peddle whatever bullshit agenda they please to millions of readers.

boingball

There is no such thing as human rights. If you are in Britain then it is about british rights (and of course you must be proper british), if you are in the US then it is about american rights (and of course you must be proper american), and so on.

lazygecko

It can't be a coincidence that so much high profile dystopian fiction like 1984 and V for Vendetta takes place in Britain. Imagining the country heading in that direction doesn't seem like such a far leap.

Morat

Banned
There is no such thing as human rights. If you are in Britain then it is about british rights (and of course you must be proper british), if you are in the US then it is about american rights (and of course you must be proper american), and so on.

Except of course for the entire concept of human rights, established universally in 1948. Inform yourself.

I really do blame the response by the West to terrorism. We are still feeling the impact of the Bush Administration. I really do wish Gore was President during 9/11.

People need to stop for a minute, take a deep breath and a step back, and reassess the situation because all this stuff is getting way out of hand and the media is just making it worse than it really is.

Its sad that stuff like this happens but its been happening for years before Brexit.

People need to stop for a minute, take a deep breath and a step back, and reassess the situation because all this stuff is getting way out of hand and the media is just making it worse than it really is.

Its sad that stuff like this happens but its been happening for years before Brexit.

Not to this extent it hasn't.

finley83

Banned
European fascism is on the rise again. Be ever vigilant, for all that evil needs to triumph is for good people to do nothing.

Cocaloch

Remember that leaving to vote wasn't about being a racist or legitimising that platform.

They voted for sovereignty and control of their destiny.

Some people, I'd imagine at least a plurality, voted for it out of racism and fear, others voted for it because of the issues you mentioned. Still others voted in some hope that it would lead to a reform of the EU or create the impetus for a new European project.

That being said I really hope you weren't banned for this post.

I supported remain, but I don't want to demonize everyone who voted for leasve. That seems dangerously reductionist, and it'll make this entire situation something we can't really learn from.

Mudcrab

I really do blame the response by the West to terrorism. We are still feeling the impact of the Bush Administration. I really do wish Gore was President during 9/11.

"Its America's fault Brits are racists"

European fascism doesn't need any help from the US, the undercurrents have always been there and now racists have been emboldened by a vote that seemingly legitimizes their views. If you think it's limited to Muslims understand that migrants from places like Poland are also victims.

I blame the people that started WW1

Yeah I thought the conventional wisdom is the situation in the middle east and the general instability is largely fallout from WWI. Of course there have been other actors over the years, but the catalyst was from the Ottoman Empire being destroyed.

Regarding 9/11, even under Gore, there would have been a US war in Afghanistan. There really wasn't a way around that. Of course Iraq likely would have not happened, though.

Edit: And I'm not sure anything the US did or didn't do would explain the rise of nationalism, xenophobia, and/or racism among clearly a good chunk of British citizens.

Some people, I'd imagine at least a plurality, voted for it out of racism and fear, others voted for it because of the issues you mentioned. Still others voted in some hope that it would lead to a reform of the EU or create the impetus for a new European project.

That being said I really hope you weren't banned for this post.

I supported remain, but I don't want to demonize everyone who voted for remain. That seems dangerously reductionist, and it'll make this entire situation something we can't really learn from.

He was being facetious I think.

It's sort of weird that in the aftermath, all the legitimate, often stridently leftist criticisms of the EU were forgotten and the majority of voters in an election with strong turnout get lazily mass characterized as racist, ignorant buffoons. The choice may have been binary but there was a lot of nuance in the vote, and though the rage is understandable the lazy dismissal really isn't to me.

Syder

We're going down a really fucking dark path right now as a country.

I can't see how we're going to get off of it either...

lazygecko

Yeah I thought the conventional wisdom is the situation in the middle east and the general instability is largely fallout from WWI. Of course there have been other actors over the years, but the catalyst was from the Ottoman Empire being destroyed.

Regarding 9/11, even under Gore, there would have been a US war in Afghanistan. There really wasn't a way around that. Of course Iraq likely would have not happened, though.

Edit: And I'm not sure anything the US did or didn't do would explain the rise of nationalism, xenophobia, and/or racism among clearly a good chunk of British citizens.

Afghanistan might have been avoidable if the US actually agreed to the initial proposed collaboration for the Soviet exit in the 80's. But they were too concerned with making it look like a total PR disaster for Russia at the time, and leaving the country in total shambles aligned much better with that goal. That single cold war-fueled decision was a decisive one for the problems we have today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom