• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ahead of a new Studio Ghibli film, critics are asking 'How will we live without Hayao Miyazaki?'

Kdad

We are just one week away from the July 14 release of a brand new Studio Ghibli film, supposedly titled “How Do You Live?” — and we know almost nothing about it.

We know it’s from the man behind Studio Ghibli, the 82-year-old Hayao Miyazaki, but there has been no trailer or promotional materials. How do we live? In the dark, apparently.

The no-promo strategy is a deliberate one, according to producer Toshio Suzuki. Speaking to Bungei Shunju magazine, he said, “This time we were like, ‘Meh, we don’t need to do that.’”

We also know Miyazaki came out of retirement for this one. He had made a formal retirement announcement following “The Wind Rises” in 2013 (Studio Ghibli’s production department even shut down), and when asked why he came out of retirement this time around, he told the New York Times, “Because I wanted to.”

Suzuki even reportedly tried to talk Miyazaki out of a return, but more personal reasons also held sway. Miyazaki said that the new film is meant to act as a farewell letter to his grandson. “How Do You Live?” is reported to be based on a classic 1937 coming-of-age novel of the same name by Genzaburo Yoshino (1899-1981), which follows a 15-year-old Tokyo schoolboy as World War II approaches.

Miyazaki has teased retirement before on multiple occasions (at least two, and possibly four depending on how you count them), and some critics are skeptical that he won’t simply be back in another few years.

Japanese director Hayao Miyazaki (right) shakes hands with Studio Ghibli Chairman and Producer Toshio Suzuki during a news conference held to announce his retirement from film in 2013. | REUTERSJapanese director Hayao Miyazaki (right) shakes hands with Studio Ghibli Chairman and Producer Toshio Suzuki during a news conference held to announce his retirement from film in 2013. | REUTERS
“After ‘The Wind Rises,’ I thought, and so did Toshio Suzuki, that Miyazaki was really going to retire,” says Kan Yanagibashi, a freelance writer who has reported on Studio Ghibli and wrote a series of Ghibli storybooks. “But (even) at the time, he hinted at the possibility of working on short films. In fact, he started working on “Boro the Caterpillar” for the Ghibli Museum shortly thereafter. And even if it’s a short film, making any film ignites a director’s creativity.”

Miyazaki’s cycle of retirements dates back to 1997’s “Princess Mononoke.” Yanagibashi says that the way Miyazaki pours his heart and soul into every work leads the director into a cycle of burnout. By the time he finishes the film he’s working on, he can’t fathom starting on a new one.

However, the director’s age and the increasing length of time between his films — five years passing between “Ponyo” (2008) and “The Wind Rises,” doubled to 10 in between “The Wind Rises” and this latest film — lead many to believe the writing is on the wall. “Because of his own rigorous demands and the need for physical stamina, it takes a long time to produce a new feature film,” critic Reiichi Narima told Real Sound magazine. “So I do believe this will be the final film directed by Miyazaki.”

There is no way to understate Miyazaki’s importance to Japanese animation as a whole or Studio Ghibli more specifically. When he directs a film, he has complete creative control and authority. He even held great sway over films he wasn’t directly involved with, which former Ghibli lead producer Yoshiaki Nishimura says factored into his own decision to found a separate animation studio, Studio Ponoc.

“The work of both Goro Miyazaki and Hiromasa Yonebayashi became ‘Ghibli-fied’ thanks to Hayao Miyazaki’s involvement in the planning and scripting,” Yanagibashi says, “aided by Ghibli-esque charming characters and detailed background art.”

Goro Miyazaki, son of Hayao Miyazaki, poses in a garden on the roof of Studio Ghibli in 2006. | REUTERSGoro Miyazaki, son of Hayao Miyazaki, poses in a garden on the roof of Studio Ghibli in 2006. | REUTERS
Still, Studio Ghibli’s recent films beyond Miyazaki’s, as well as those of Ghibli co-founder Isao Takahata, have proved unsteady as a whole. The studio’s previous effort, “Earwig and the Witch” (2020), directed by Miyazaki’s son, Goro, by and large stumbled at the box office and in the eyes of critics.

“‘Earwig’ was very poor overall, though it had good points in the early scenes and I found its titular character interesting and expressive,” says Andrew Osmond, a film and animation journalist, and the author of “Spirited Away: BFI Film Classics.”

While earlier Yonebayashi and Goro titles like “Arrietty” (2010), “From Up on Poppy Hill” (2011) and “When Marnie Was There” (2014) performed better than “Earwig and the Witch,” none have come close to matching what Miyazaki or Takahata have been able to do at the box office, in the reviews or in the hearts of fans.

“I think ‘When Marnie Was There’ is excellent, but everything about it was so low-key and ambiguous that it struggled to draw viewers,” Osmond adds. “I’m certainly not convinced there will be any more iconic Ghibli films after Miyazaki’s departure — or indeed, that there’ll be any more Ghibli films at all.”

The colossal void left that will be left behind by Miyazaki has many desperately searching for a successor. Although Goro Miyazaki has had some success in his directorial career, few would consider him his father’s spiritual or legitimate successor. Yonebayashi, who directed “Arrietty” and “When Marnie Was There,” has since joined Nishimura at Studio Ponoc. While it’s true he was one of the rare few to receive praise from Hayao Miyazaki himself, Studio Ponoc’s films, while solid, have thus far not been able to truly impress.

Filmmaker Mamoru Hosada is considered a promising heir to the animation throne, but his outings “Mirai” (2018) and “Belle” (2021) were perceived by critics and audiences as good, not great.

Outside of the Ghibli-sphere, the romantic worlds of Makoto Shinkai’s “Your Name.” (2016) and “Suzume” (2022) have spun box-office gold, however they still feel morally and aesthetically simplistic compared to Studio Ghibli at its best.

Film producer Toshio Suzuki (left), a long-time colleague of Hayao Miyazaki (right), poses with the animator at an awards ceremony in Los Angeles in 2014. | REUTERSFilm producer Toshio Suzuki (left), a long-time colleague of Hayao Miyazaki (right), poses with the animator at an awards ceremony in Los Angeles in 2014. | REUTERS
Real Sound’s Narima looks to Hideaki Anno, creator of the “Evangelion” franchise, to carry on the Miyazaki mantle with a potential continuation of “Nausicaa of the Valley of the Wind.” That 1984 feature film covered only the first one-and-a-half volumes of a seven-volume manga series by Miyazaki. “According to Toshio Suzuki, Hayao Miyazaki gave his permission,” Narima says, “saying, ‘It’s fine if Anno is the one to do it.’”

“For Ghibli to move forward, the company must allow new artists to express themselves, and that involves taking risks,” Osmond says. “Unfortunately, Ghibli’s reputation is that of a studio that would only allow risky ideas that came from Miyazaki, Takahata or Suzuki.

“Unless there’s a substantial change in thinking at Ghibli after Miyazaki’s departure, I’m doubtful that it can evolve, let alone turn out successful films.”

As Suzuki told the New York Times, “The whole purpose of Studio Ghibli is to make Miyazaki films.” With the newly established Ghibli Park in Aichi Prefecture giving life to the world of the director’s creations in a characteristically refined and nuanced manner, the studio has at least guaranteed itself income and life moving forward, even without any additional titles. How do we live? Maybe off decades of copyright and merchandising.

In the end, Miyazaki’s successor might be Japanese animation itself. His influence has disseminated throughout the industry and helped push it forward. Eddie Moriya, chief business development officer for Polygon Pictures’ digital animation house, told Variety recently, “Each studio’s effort to try new ways of expression, while referring to Ghibli and other great works, is what brings progress and advancement to the anime industry.”

Excitement is high ahead of the release of “How Do You Live?,” with the lack of promotion only raising expectations higher. Talk of a successor can come later, at this point the only act that has to follow Miyazaki’s impressive body of work is Miyazaki himself.

Rran

Wow, I didn't realize How Do You Live? was that close to release. Looking forward to it.

While Miyazaki is an expert at his craft, I think this article leans a little too heavily into the idea that he's the only one that can make great Ghibli movies ("The whole purpose of Studio Ghibli is to make Miyazaki films"). There have been a number of really great Ghibli movies that didn't involve Miyazaki at all, such as Whisper of the Heart, Grave of the Fireflies, Arrietty, Marnie, and Princess Kaguya. That said, Studio Ponoc hasn't been too impressive for me yet.

Last edited:

Kurotri

This man's creations are eternal. I will forever love what he has done for me and thousands of other people that grew up with his movies and I wish for him to part from the industry in his own terms. And if it means not doing it with a big bang but in a quiet, gentle manner, so be it. Godspeed.

But yeah, Ghibli is a finished story. All good things must come to an end. I don't think this is a bad thing. One last hurrah!

Hudo

I feel like "trying to succeed" him is a waste of everyone's time. Only Miyazaki is Miyazaki. Don't try to immitate him, develop your own style and stuff instead. Miyazaki's movies won't go away. I can still pop out and watch Castle in the Sky or Princess Mononoke any time I like and the movies still hold up beautifully. I wouldn't want an "imitation" of his stuff by someone else. I'd rather have new things by other people.

He's an old man now and probably doesn't want to work on animation anymore. He'll pass and we'll mourn him, but his death is not important, the joy and happiness he gave to the world is.

BlackTron

Mononoke was the first anime movie I watched and one of the first I was exposed to back when I caught on with Toonami. It set an absurdly high early standard that TBH hasn't even come close to being matched by anything I've seen so far. I even wish I had watched a lot of his other stuff first. I like it all but PM is still my fav and it set expectations to high heaven.

Despite the lack of marketing, doesn't seem that true that we know NOTHING about it -I thought it was actually kinda cool going in 100% blind, but we do know this is based on a book by the same name, and that while probably a completely different film, there are still themes of WW2 just like the last movie.

Porcile

Same way we live without new Yoshiyuki Tomino or Katsuhiro Otomo works. We just enjoy what they have produced until the end of time.

swaffles23

Ghibli is done without Miyazaki. Goro sucks imo.

I still watch Spirited Away multiple times a year. A masterpiece of a film

Doom85

I feel like "trying to succeed" him is a waste of everyone's time. Only Miyazaki is Miyazaki. Don't try to immitate him, develop your own style and stuff instead. Miyazaki's movies won't go away. I can still pop out and watch Castle in the Sky or Princess Mononoke any time I like and the movies still hold up beautifully. I wouldn't want an "imitation" of his stuff by someone else. I'd rather have new things by other people.

I don’t think modern anime movie directors are trying to imitate him specifically. Yes, directors like Makoto Shinkai is sometimes labeled by the media as “the next Miyazaki”, but that’s not due to much similarities in their styles of directing but rather their breakout successes. I believe Shinkai himself has even asked people to not make the comparison.

Hell, I just heard Satoshi Kon’s incomplete film won’t be finished as the people in charge felt no one would be able to direct with his unique style. Which I think is a fair call. Unless Kon before he passed away gave permission for a director to come in and direct it in their own way, it’s best to leave it alone, I wouldn’t want to see someone trying to be like Kon purely out of obligation, it’d feel unfair to the new director and also kind of tacky.

I consider the film A.I. to be an exception as Steven Spielberg and Stanley Kubrick were good friends, and Kubrick had always wanted to make a film like the ones Spielberg made. Spielberg coming in to make the film a reality after Kubrick passed felt right as Spielberg likely knew how Kubrick would want it made, and even keeping in the infamous ending despite Spielberg knowing it would receive backlash but he would not alter his late friend’s vision. While ultimately I don’t like the film as a movie itself, I’m glad it exists as a final gift from one good friend to another. It’s truly touching in that regard.

Ballthyrm

I don't think anyone should try to be the next Miyazaki, it is a fruitless pursuit, no one will make Ghibli movies like he can.
There is plenty of good anime directors that have their own voice and we should support that.

Masaaki Yuasa will never be mainstream but he produce consistently good animation.
Sure Makoto Shinkai is a bit corny but he always make gorgeous movies with an attention to detail that rivals Miyasaki's

What we want is for someone to take the same care in their work and be as hard on themselves as Miyazaki was.
I'm pretty sure Miyazaki will die on his drawing board, no way on hell this guy quit working and enjoy his "retirement"

Hudo

I don’t think modern anime movie directors are trying to imitate him specifically. Yes, directors like Makoto Shinkai is sometimes labeled by the media as “the next Miyazaki”, but that’s not due to much similarities in their styles of directing but rather their breakout successes. I believe Shinkai himself has even asked people to not make the comparison.

Hell, I just heard Satoshi Kon’s incomplete film won’t be finished as the people in charge felt no one would be able to direct with his unique style. Which I think is a fair call. Unless Kon before he passed away gave permission for a director to come in and direct it in their own way, it’s best to leave it alone, I wouldn’t want to see someone trying to be like Kon purely out of obligation, it’d feel unfair to the new director and also kind of tacky.

I consider the film A.I. to be an exception as Steven Spielberg and Stanley Kubrick were good friends, and Kubrick had always wanted to make a film like the ones Spielberg made. Spielberg coming in to make the film a reality after Kubrick passed felt right as Spielberg likely knew how Kubrick would want it made, and even keeping in the infamous ending despite Spielberg knowing it would receive backlash but he would not alter his late friend’s vision. While ultimately I don’t like the film as a movie itself, I’m glad it exists as a final gift from one good friend to another. It’s truly touching in that regard.
Still waiting for "Orbital Era" by Otomo...

That movie was announced and then radio silence since then.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
No one, really?

hayao-miyazaki-anime.gif

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I'll guess, I'll guess...Let me guess

The plot is about a 17-year-old schoolgirl, who enters a fantastic world, where she has to release the evil of an antagonistic queen, with the help of the values of humanity and love.

Top Bottom