• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Akatsuki probe conducts second Venus orbital insertion burn

Status
Not open for further replies.

Foolworm

Press release here.

Some of you may remember the failed first attempt, which occurred five years to the day and was later determined to be the result of the main engine's nozzle breaking away entirely. It was yet another humiliation for JAXA, who had previously suffered from the total loss of its previous Mars orbiter Nozomi and the near-total write-off of its asteroid-rendezvous mission Hayabusa, which was salvaged by some truly ingenious Jerry-rigging.

The success of this particular maneuver places Akatsuki on a highly elliptical orbit, which is very much different from intended. A further minor burn will be made to refine its trajectory, but this was the major operation to actually place it in orbit around Venus, and its success represents a long awaited redemption for JAXA. It is currently the only Venus operation ongoing, with the conclusion of the Venus Climate Orbiter in 2014.

Hopefully lots of great science will come out of this price. Per aspera ad astra indeed, and all the best to them.

dabig2

Good news to hear. Any more space stuff is always great and finding out more about our unlucky twin is going to be great.

jrush64

Banned
Yeah I thought it was this fine gentlemen and gentlewoman

akatsuki_chibi_collab_by_itachis999-d5fjvt8.png

UltraJay

For people commenting on the Akatsuki name, keep in mind that it simply means "Red Moon" so it isn't exactly a unique phrase in Japan. It is fitting for Venus, though I guess Mars would be an even better fit.

Nephtis

Can someome make a gif of Mutta from Space Brothers (the one with the inner screen) and superimpose the Akatsuki coat over him?

Nocebo

Gosh I just love all this great space exploration news. It seems like Akatsuki will be used to study the weather on Venus, take photos, study particles that escape from Venus into space (the reason for it's eliptical orbit). They will also attempt to solve the mystery of how there's winds moving at 60 times the planet's rotation speed.

For people commenting on the Akatsuki name, keep in mind that it simply means "Red Moon" so it isn't exactly a unique phrase in Japan. It is fitting for Venus, though I guess Mars would be an even better fit.
No it doesn't. It means dawn or daybreak.

Yeah I thought it was this fine gentlemen and gentlewoman

akatsuki_chibi_collab_by_itachis999-d5fjvt8.png
Is that because reading more than one word of a thread title would overload your brain?

jrush64

Banned
Gosh I just love all this great space exploration news. It seems like Akatsuki will be used to study the weather on Venus, take photos, study particles that escape from Venus into space (the reason for it's eliptical orbit). They will also attempt to solve the mystery of how there's winds moving at 60 times the planet's rotation speed.

No it doesn't. It means dawn or daybreak.

Is that because reading more than one word of a thread title would overload your brain?

Dude back off. It was meant to be a joke. Of course I read the thread title.

Nocebo

Dude back off. It was meant to be a joke. Of course I read the thread title.
It's OK. Mine was a joke too. I didn't really think your brain would overload. I usually don't put any thought into my posts either. Especially in threads related to science.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom