• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alan Wake 2 — The Dark Place Trailer | Gamescom

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
This looks amazing. Holy fuck am I excited. So cool, you have to be 18+ to view the trailer.

I just replayed Quantum Break, had a great time. I love Remedy's games. I love Alan Wake so much. I can't wait for Alan Wake 2.
You get a very cool look at Alan Wake's Alex Casey in the trailer, very very nice.

Releases for PC, PS5, and Xbox Series on October 27th, 2023.

Last edited:

cormack12

Gold Member
..you have to be 18+ to view the trailer.

pzjybb7jxwm01.gif

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
Sam Lake is like the white Kojima at this point, he put himself in this game too.

can't wait, day 1.
When I played Death Stranding, my friend told me that I, specifically, needed to see the Veteran Porter. Sam Lake's likeness is in a Kojima game too!

Merkades

I reasonably liked the first one (not the dlc though, that sucked), but for now this is a hard no for me. I really hate when people do artsy shit. I guess I will wait 'til it releases and I see more to see whether that is common or not.

CGNoire

Honestly remarks about "seemless integration" of live action into the game kills a lot of my hype.
AW1 had those TV shots but it seems it will have a much larger role here, I just hope they don't overdo it
I think there just referring to the tvs and monitors etc... not full screen...I think thats just for the trailer.

Robb

Gold Member
Meh, live action does nothing for me. Not feeling this one.

Looking forward to the game though.

Not into these cinematic games, but holy shit, Remedy makes some of the most prettiest games for the timeframe of when they're out. Their proprietary Northlight engine, and it's particle physics model, is just insane, as it was in Control.

This is one of the best looking currentgen games without a doubt. The testament to the game's presentation is the fact that the trailer has a mixture of live action FMV's + in-engine cinematics + gameplay direct feed, all looking really close to each other.

Shame that this is getting sandwiched among the heavy hitters later this year though. I get that they're aiming for that Halloween timeframe for PR reasons, but they should have released this in Jan or Feb 2024, when it isn't crowded.

Giallo Corsa

Gold Member
That's a Remedy game alright, looks absolutely beautiful - the live action I could do without but it's not a deal breaker in the grand scheme of things.

This will be another 30fps title though on consoles which means that I'll have to wait 1+ year as to play it on the rumored PS5 Pro as to have a better experience...

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic
I really liked the live-action cutscenes in Alan Wake's American Nightmare :lollipop_smiling_face_eyes:
There might be a chance that Alan's story is animated, but Mr. Scratch's scenes (witnessed by Alan on TV) are live-action.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
Honestly remarks about "seemless integration" of live action into the game kills a lot of my hype.
AW1 had those TV shots but it seems it will have a much larger role here, I just hope they don't overdo it
Thats one of the main things increasing my hype.

Hugare

I love Alan Wake, but yeah, the live action is pretty bad.

Always have been cheesy on past Remedy games, but now that they are making a survivor horror game, that cheesiness can get in the way.

I mean the window dressing sure looks great but I need to see proper gameplay to be convinced. The first game plays like shit and so far the only Remedy game I think is truly great has been Control. That's specifically because it isn't a corridor funnel spectacle with nonstop cutscenes and other bullshit story gimmicks.

I don't really "get" story trailers like this, I already know it's a surreal Horror game. I need to see how it actually plays and what the level design is like, it's a video game.

Husky

THE Prey 2 fanatic

I was wondering whether Alan Wake's mentions in Quantum Break were merely easter eggs. There's a lecture hall in the chemistry wing of Riverport University with a series of notes on Alan Wake, including connections between the Dark Place and the Dark Presence with dark matter and dark energy (noting that these combined make up 95% of the known universe—a very ominous note if Alan Wake's enemy really does relate to these). The Alex Casey novels are also shown to exist, but the one thing that made these feel the most like easter eggs, rather than shared universe connections, was that the End of Time would be a very confusing inclusion in Alan Wake's universe :lollipop_grinning_smiling_eyes:

EverydayBeast

thinks Halo Infinite is a new graphical benchmark
Gonna hear about reviews first, Alan wake was a solid third person poltergeist shooter my guess is people will take their time and wait for it to arrive on ps plus.

Dacvak

No one shall be brought before our LORD David Bowie without the true and secret knowledge of the Photoshop. For in that time, so shall He appear.
Are those live action cutscenes or just insane offline renders? I’m watching compressed on a phone, but the animations look like real actors. (Is this an Alan wake thing?)

Edit: Oh literally everyone in this thread already answered my question. Maybe I should just read first.

Last edited:
Top Bottom