• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alanah Pearce - It's going to get worse

Fake

"It's going to get worse"

OMG lady where have you been all this fucking time? Are you even play games?

Soodanim

Gold Member
This thread is embarrassing, and for once the simps horny for AI pictures are not the embarrassing part.

It's the ones who find a reason to dismiss what she's saying even if they agree with her.

It's the ones who think that anyone who criticises the pitfalls of capitalism in its current form want the entire system to be scrapped and/or are unable to acknowledge the benefits.

tmlDan

The constant need for growth is because they're trying to generate more revenue to turn higher profits. Companies go public to increase their value and their access to capital so they can generate more revenue and turn higher profits. The whole point of capitalism is to generate profits. That is how businesses owned by private individual(s) operate in a capitalist economic system.

I'm not arguing that greed is not a problem or a factor. It certainly is. But the mechanism that makes this all operate is our economic system.

Having said that, I feel it's important to note that I am not against capitalism.
Don't worry, I don't think you are lol

I do agree with you that the profit motive exists, but the current state of capitalism is not run how the core of capitalism should. There is too much reliance on perceived value and no actual capital growth, Tesla is a great example of this, they sell a miniscule amount of vehicles compared to Toyota but their share value is insanely high. Companies like MS, also, aren't even close to the highest earning in terms of revenue and profit margins but somehow they're valuated as the biggest? That's insane to me. I put more blame on humans and their need to be wealthy than the system its built on, that's all I'm saying. I believe without the stock market capitalism would be in a much better state, I'm no expert mind you so if I come off as uninformed I apologize.

I'm not sure how we fix it in a free market, any global or national policies reining in these flaws would eliminate the idea of a free market. Either way, it's a complex issue but I don't like blanket statements blaming it entirely on one thing (What Alanah does).

Loomy

Thinks Microaggressions are Real
Don't worry, I don't think you are lol

I do agree with you that the profit motive exists, but the current state of capitalism is not run how the core of capitalism should. There is too much reliance on perceived value and no actual capital growth, Tesla is a great example of this, they sell a miniscule amount of vehicles compared to Toyota but their share value is insanely high. Companies like MS, also, aren't even close to the highest earning in terms of revenue and profit margins but somehow they're valuated as the biggest? That's insane to me. I put more blame on humans and their need to be wealthy than the system its built on, that's all I'm saying. I believe without the stock market capitalism would be in a much better state, I'm no expert mind you so if I come off as uninformed I apologize.

I'm not sure how we fix it in a free market, any global or national policies reining in these flaws would eliminate the idea of a free market. Either way, it's a complex issue but I don't like blanket statements blaming it entirely on one thing (What Alanah does).
This was a good chat :)

Saw it yesterday and I 100% agree with her. It's fuckin' sad.

There has to be a way to get rid of the publishers alltogether and open some kind of independent and private company which won't be answering to shareholders and such (I know, but it is the only way to at least try and fix the situation we're in right now), cuz that's the main problem here - fuckin' capitalism and greed, they don't care about video games and people behind them at all.
That's exactly my thought. Ofc this isn't easy or cheap, but theoretically, it should be possible to start a private company (that's not publicly traded) producing it's own traditional, physical media based console - sold for a profit, of course. It can be designed to have no online and limited technical capabilities to keep games simple and clean. This company would make money from hardware sales, royalties, merch and so on only. It wouldn't be attractive to investors, obviously, but I can still see it grow slowly and organically. There is a global audience for something like this, the market is big enough to support such a niche machine. I'd also bet gen z would be all over it.

midnightAI

Meh, some things are right and some things are wrong, some things are obvious (in my opinion of course)

(And some of this has been going on since game development began and is pretty normal)

Last edited:

VitoNotVito

All this outcry - not just from her - can be summarised by a single statement: buy your games if you want the studio to survive. Nobody will kill the goose laying the golden eggs! It is really that simple.

brock sexy lesnar

Neo Member
5WlJOXr.jpeg
KFJcI4D.gif

Just give me a good AAA live service game and you can have all my money. Zombie apocalypse survival multiplayer game like Days Gone but with The Division 2 elements.

I don’t share her pessimism. There’s never been a better time to be a gamer. We were paying £300 for consoles in 1997 with the top games costing £50 - now we are paying £400 for consoles and the top games cost £70, over 25 years later - and the quality is about ten times better.

In addition, at present, you have a whole generation of gamers who love good single player games, who will have time and money as they approach their 60s, 70s and 80s. Nobody those ages play games consistently these days, so the market will likely increase.

It was always a bit shit being a ‘creator’ - Ron Gilbert always says he never saw a dime from Monkey Island until the latest one - and those games must have made a fortune in the nineties. We just hear about it on social media now.

Last edited:

Sintoid

Accurate cost/revenue control among studios and publishers
Fewer games published but with better audience targeting
Better Quality Assurance of final product
Less discounts
Death of Gamepass

You pay the right price for a good game

That's my idea of the next few years of PC/Console gaming

Last edited:

DenchDeckard

Moderated wildly
She's absolutely right.

There isn't just one thing to blame there's a lot. Every studio was just doing what they thought could work for them in this clearly fucked up industry and its caused a number of issues.

Compile that with a lot of snowflakes that want to work from home and throw a sissy fit everything their feelings get mildly hurt and you have a workplace mine field.

The only good thing for me personally is I've refund my love for Japanese games and tinkering with my car and other external hobbies like going to gigs etc.

When every big triple A game is basically a rehash of assassin's creed I don't need to buy them...and it seems many others don't either.

MagiusNecros

Gilgamesh Fan Annoyance
If the industry gets worse, and morale gets lower and lower which leads to poor quality games with inflated prices it just means I'll be saving a lot of money.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
It's the ones who think that anyone who criticises the pitfalls of capitalism in its current form want the entire system to be scrapped and/or are unable to acknowledge the benefits.

Talking about the "pitfalls of capitalism" in relation to a thing (videogames) that is exclusively a product of capitalism will never fail to make me chuckle!

Well good thing backlogs exist, there are literally dozens of games I want to play but have never gotten around to. If new games don’t come out all the time, I’ll be just fine. Also Monster Hunter Wilds in 2025. Nothing else will matter anyway.

Fredrik

And I am still debating about the possibility of building a PC instead.
Do it. 👍
Go for a case with design you can accept to have in the living room, or hide it, and go for quiet parts, and setup Steam to launch in big screen mode directly when you power it on. Get a wireless keyboard with a touch pad and have it tucked away out of sight as plan B if you need mouse and keyboard to login or whatever.
I did this in March and it feels very much like having a console, just a whole lot better.

Laptop1991

They can try and keep me engaged to spend money all they want with their GAAS games, they won't get it!, i only buy and play good SP games, i don't buy live service cash cow games with inferior gameplay and grind, i never have and never will, what a waste of money and my time. making more gaas games won't work.

Fabieter

Thats the result of doing shit games, gaas games and woke shit for the last decade, stop this trend and companies ll start to profit again, its really not that hard.

1. Make a Fun game.
2. Gameplay is King.
3. Art direction is more important then graphics.
4. Dont make woke shit.
5. Stop making gaas.
6. Stop seasson passes everywhere.
7. Respect your custumer.
8. Be fair with your mtx prices.

Its not captalism fault, dont make a shit product and expect ppl to buy it, sadly in some case, good developers pay the price for stupid ideias of "shareholders".

We have quite a few of good games bombing all the fucking time so no its not that easy sadly. One way of fixing it is to blame the consumer sadly. If a game looks interesting to you and have the money to support it do it day one or expect no sequel anytime soon if you don't. It's that easy.

Hunnybun

There are too many AAA games. There was huge overinvestment in the market and this is the unfortunate correction.

It just is what it is. The market is very big, but not as big as the geniuses holding the purse strings thought. The only real victims will be the developers who lose their jobs, but even there the overinvestment has given thousands of young developers at least a CHANCE in the industry they never would've had otherwise.

Some might not like were the industry is heading, but money talks. It's a hardly a perfect system, but the best we have.
As a customer you can only buy the games you like and hope that there will be more similar ones coming, evolve in a direction you like.
Devs/publishers will need to figure out what still sells and if chasing trends is wise when everyone else does that too. Maybe better aim for some niche no else does. But that's their problem.

Hunnybun

I do agree with her about the following:

“We have entered a "Time War" where everything is now competing for your time. Social Media, mobile gaming, streaming, movies, shows, etc etc. Many AAA games are being developed with the mindset of keeping you engaged day after day, spending more money, to keep you away from other things that can take your money and attention.”

There is so much entertainment content being produced now days, especially with folks doing this globally , it’s insane.

From books to movies to TV to games to pretty much any hobby, there is more then can be used on multiple lifetimes. AI is going to make this worse.

Unfortunately I don’t see any sort of a solution, it is what it is I guess.

The SOLUTION? We are all the beneficiaries of incredibly diverse and cheap entertainment. That's not a problem in need of a solution. Fucking obviously.

fallingdove

You guys get so sensitive. Its like you dont even want to discuss things. Just weird. Its not like I was quote tweeting you. I dont get it. Nothing I said is that wild.
Nothing you said was wild — just tone deaf and completely illogical for most gamers.

—>Buy into a continuous lifelong rental subscription at a low cost per month now, a much higher cost per month later for 1, maybe 2 games a year you are interested in.

This makes absolutely no sense, but you and your green rat friends didn't want to hear about it. You hand waved arguments because “best deal in gaming”.

Wildebeest

A lot of us grew up in times when there was no social media, so we don't really get how for many the games are not the main thing any more.

Live service games can stick around, I'm not going to be buying them since most of them are utter shite and have no respect for my time. That's OK though, I have so much to play anyway and I'm fine with not spending more money on games.

rofif

Banned
Thats the result of doing shit games, gaas games and woke shit for the last decade, stop this trend and companies ll start to profit again, its really not that hard.

1. Make a Fun game.
2. Gameplay is King.
3. Art direction is more important then graphics.
4. Dont make woke shit.
5. Stop making gaas.
6. Stop seasson passes everywhere.
7. Respect your custumer.
8. Be fair with your mtx prices.

Its not captalism fault, dont make a shit product and expect ppl to buy it, sadly in some case, good developers pay the price for stupid ideias of "shareholders".
You described forspoken. And it closed down the studio lol. Gameplay king game with no gaas. Not even sbi included.

people want gaas crap games. Gamers are broken.
I hope Stellar blade sells great. It deserves all of it. It’s the best game I played in a long time

Goalus

The solution to the problem is simple: accept bribes from Sony and be a winner. Square-Enix impressively demonstrated how this works with Forspoken, FF16 and FF Rebirth.

Last edited:

IDKFA

I am Become Bilbo Baggins
I disagree about the point regarding publishers focusing on more live service games. Sony have recently halved their planned number of live service games, or we have Sega who killed Hyenas before it was finished.

I don't agree that shutting talented development studios who make great games is a new trend. It's been happening for decades. See Westwood, Cavedog, Bullfrog etc etc.

I point about indy devs isn't more complex. It's a lot easier now to make a video game, but most start ups still need publisher funding. However, because we're being flooded with video games like never before, publishers need to be selective on which projects get their funding.

Top Bottom