• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Algeria 'loses contact with plane'

Status
Not open for further replies.

MNC

Still no news on passengers and casualties? There's a very slight hope in the back of my mind (quite a few) people survived... There must be...

It's always the best time to fly!

pPU0q.gif

I ...can't argue with that.

Still no news on passengers and casualties? There's a very slight hope in the back of my mind (quite a few) people survived... There must be...

Same here, awaiting news of this because damn it, we need some good news and people survive plane crashes all the time. Give us some hope, world!

Bebpo

Banned
Normally the planes just need to avoid the core of storm in their flight path. MD83 is quite an old model and depends also what kind of weather radar has as storms can change their direction suddenly and pilots need to react and change course. And it seems that the pilot asked for a course change, we'll find out what happened after that.

:\ Taking an MD83 in a few weeks.

Konka

Banned
This is just fucking ridiculous. I feel sorry for people who choose to ride planes. :(

Wat. I feel so much safer on a plane than I do going down the freeway. This scared of being on a plane thing is ridiculous.

26mqpSy.jpg

Do you see how many are in the sky and how rare a crash is? Come on.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
:\ Taking an MD83 in a few weeks.

Sorry, didn't want to scare you. I was talking by comparison to an Airbus 320. Most of them have more modern weather radars and clear rules to avoid storms. And the crash numbers are still very low reported to the number of flights.

Bebpo

Banned
Sorry, didn't want to scare you. I was talking by comparison to an Airbus 320. Most of them have more modern weather radars and clear rules to avoid storms. And the crash numbers are still very low reported to the number of flights.

No worries. Wasn't really worried. I know the statistics and enjoying flying.

Wat. I feel so much safer on a plane than I do going down the freeway. This scared of being on a plane thing is ridiculous.

26mqpSy.jpg

I'm still amazed that so many planes are in the air at anytime and thus so many people are flying at every moment considering how expensive flying is. I'd think with how expensive the prices are these days, and the economy still just recovering from the recession that hundreds of thousands of people wouldn't be affording $500-2,000 flights on a daily basis.

But it might be that I'm just grumpy that airplane tickets are always a huge hit on the wallet whenever I want to go somewhere >_<

LiK

"@AP: BREAKING: Burkina Faso official says wreckage, remains from missing Air Algerie flight found in Mali."

:(

No worries. Wasn't really worried. I know the statistics and enjoying flying.

I'm still amazed that so many planes are in the air at anytime and thus so many people are flying at every moment considering how expensive flying is. I'd think with how expensive the prices are these days, and the economy still just recovering from the recession that hundreds of thousands of people wouldn't be affording $500-2,000 flights on a daily basis.

But it might be that I'm just grumpy that airplane tickets are always a huge hit on the wallet whenever I want to go somewhere >_<

FYI I get flights regularly around Europe for less than $100, and many routes are crazy cheap, eg. £20 from many parts of the UK to Dublin.

i'd much rather fly than be on the ground, and the only thing that freaks me a little bit is riding a small regional prop plane in heavy winds. poor thing gets battered around like crazy.

edit: very sad update.

26mqpSy.jpg

I rather be in a car accident than a plane crash though.

Not

Banned
What is going on?? It's these kind of things that sometimes give the "a few select people control the entire world" arguments more weight

Omzz

always been shit scared of planes...all this recent news doesn't help. really horrible just reading about all these lives lost in jus the past few weeks...

RIP

demolitio

always been shit scared of planes...all this recent news doesn't help. really horrible just reading about all these lives lost in jus the past few weeks...

RIP

I get that some people are scared of flying, but if it's crashing you're afraid of, do you bother driving or riding in a car? I've seen a train derailed with a few deaths before as well, but that wouldn't stop me from getting on a train because of the very minute chance of something bad happening. The same applies to planes and when you think about how many flights there are each and every day, you'd see just how rare a crash really is.

I hope people don't miss out on anything just because of that line of thinking. People die in accidents every day and if you avoided everything that could kill you, you wouldn't be doing much at all, especially since many things have a higher chance of killing you than a plane.

Don't get me wrong, I'm afraid of sharks and wouldn't want to swim with them, but flying today is so routine that you shouldn't be setting there crunching numbers trying to figure out what the odds of your plane crashing are. Then again, I joined the Air Force so I'm a little biased when it comes to my love of planes.

Anyway, R.I.P. to the victims of this crash. :(

SKINNER!

Banned
As much as I like to take advantage of good deals from time to time, I can't bring myself to fly on budget airlines without thinking that they're cutting back on certain important things to drive the cost down. I've heard enough crazy things about Ryan Air and Easyjet to convince myself to fly with a better airlines like KLM/Air France etc or just go via train/bus/ferry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom