• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Alien Rogue Incursion Releases Holiday 2024| PSVR2/Meta/Quest | State of Play

ZehDon

Looking forward to playing this on my PC. I know it'll probably suck, but damn it - Aliens in VR.

Comandr

Nitpicky but I absolutely checked out when the alien hissed and shook its dorsal spikes like a rattle snake.

Last edited:

CamHostage

The video shows it running at sub 30fps, no VR game on PSVR has ever run under 60fps locked out of 500+ games.

It's the video, not the game. Inside the headset is completely different than a recorded video.

It's weird, VR trailers often get chuggy but it's just not possible (or kindly) for them to chug up like that once it's projecting into your eyes. The Skydance's Behemoth trailer also hit one or two snags and that team for sure knows what it's doing. I would imagine a lot of footage for trailers is recorded flat with a mouse simulating head movement (or a lot of motion simplification on the tracking, maybe also the player trains to be as smooth as possible,) but I'm still not sure why VR in particular has spotty performance in trailers (aside from that they're not done, but then again, every game not out is not done, yet VR seems to show slowdown more frequently) when the games are always optimized to run clean.

Last edited:

CamHostage

Who's the moron who allowed the low frame rate in the trailer? How does this happen. It's also on PCVR there is no excuse.

Well, it's not done, so there's that.

Also, i imagine it's harder to mock up gameplay with a half-finished project when it's VR then a normal game. Flat games, you can sort of script the encounters and juice up the engine to hide the ducttape holding it together. (However, there's not a lot of real 360 "Vr" play in this trailer, they could have mocked all of these encounters with a normal mouse look and come out just fine capturing out of the helmet view at this stage of development was a problem?)

I mean, I don't really get it either, it's a bad first impression IMO, but I keep seeing VR games struggle in video capture and you're pretty much guaranteed that won't happen in play (unless it's disasterously off in performace and they're okay with making you sick.)

CamHostage

BTW, Alien RI is one of the first UE5-based VR games. I'm not sure there's anything specific to check out in this trailer which is excitingly different from other standard-UE VR games (or VR horror games on any engine) but I'll be interested in further tech deep-dives as it develops... and I hope to see a smoother framerate that clears up any concerns about this engine working out in the game next time we see it.

nowhat

Gold Member
BTW, Alien RI is one of the first UE5-based VR games. I'm not sure there's anything specific to check out in this trailer which is excitingly different from other standard-UE VR games (or VR horror games on any engine) but I'll be interested in further tech deep-dives as it develops... and I hope to see a smoother framerate that clears up any concerns about this engine working out in the game next time we see it.
Does UE5 support foveated rendering? Because that could really amp up the graphics where it matters while maintaining a decent frame rate. If you've ever seen someone play something like GT7 on PSVR 2, the output is really low-res in certain parts of the image, but to the person wearing the headset/playing the game, you just don't see it.

CamHostage

Does UE5 support foveated rendering? Because that could really amp up the graphics where it matters while maintaining a decent frame rate. If you've ever seen someone play something like GT7 on PSVR 2, the output is really low-res in certain parts of the image, but to the person wearing the headset/playing the game, you just don't see it.

Yeah, that's supported. In fact, it goes beyond that in that specific features like the VRS specifically adapt according to the player's focal point.

That said, much of the VR aspect of UE5 is still just barely beyond experimental phase and could have issues. (However, I'm not sure that's what's causing issues here? Foveated rendering would make the resolution funky outside the player's eye gaze but they would still refresh at full framerate.)

FunkMiller

Gold Member
Does PSVR2 have any actual exclusives?

I don't mind if it doesn't, because I sold mine, but how can Sony sell any of them if they're not putting out games on it to justify buying it?

I'll probably pick this one up for PC though, along with Behemoth.

Last edited:

Roni

Gold Member
Best title at the SoP. I'm actually looking forward to it... Hopefully has some meaty gameplay and it's not just a showpiece.

Grildon Tundy

Gold Member
Survios made Westworld: Awakening, which if you've seen the TV show up to mid-season 2, it captured the atmosphere of the show really well and added more horror on top. I think they'll do a really good job with the Alien. universe.

I expect it to be short, though, about 5 hours long, like Westworld was.

Wonko_C

Does PSVR2 have any actual exclusives?

I don't mind if it doesn't, because I sold mine, but how can Sony sell any of them if they're not putting out games on it to justify buying it?

I'll probably pick this one up for PC though, along with Behemoth.
First Party Exclusives off the top of my head:
-Horizon: Call of The Mountain (Native VR title)
-Firewall Ultra (Native VR title, flopped, studio closed)
-Gran Turismo 7 (Hybrid VR title)

Third Party Exclusives:
-Resident Evil Village (Hybrid VR title, funded by Sony)
-Resident Evil 4 Remake (Hybrid VR title, funded by Sony)
-Synapse (Native VR title, probably a temporary exclusive)

Moses85

Concept looks good, framerate looks VERY bad, why is it sub 30 fps?

Starting John Wick GIF by John Wick: Chapter 3 - Parabellum

Dogs Singing GIF by Apple TV+

We need the PS5 Pro

Jimmy Fallon Laughing GIF by The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon

Cracking Up Lol GIF

FunkMiller

Gold Member
First Party Exclusives off the top of my head:
-Horizon: Call of The Mountain (Native VR title)
-Firewall Ultra (Native VR title, flopped, studio closed)
-Gran Turismo 7 (Hybrid VR title)

Third Party Exclusives:
-Resident Evil Village (Hybrid VR title, funded by Sony)
-Resident Evil 4 Remake (Hybrid VR title, funded by Sony)
-Synapse (Native VR title, probably a temporary exclusive)

I meant upcoming!

Killer8

I wouldn't worry about the framerate of the trailer. This can just be an artifact of bad video editing. There is no way it will ship with anything less than 60fps reprojected at minimum, because Sony's Technical Requirements Checklist dictates that VR games specifically must not dip below that level or they will fail submission. It's a health related requirement and there is no wiggle room on that.

Top Bottom