• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Rate the State of Play (31st January 2024)

Rate the state of play

• Total voters

Danjin44

The nicest person on this forum
Someone needs to tell me when FROM planning to give us something…..ANYTHING on Elden Ring DLC…
arnie-arnold-schwarzenegger.gif

SJRB

Gold Member
B for sure. A lot of games, several lengthy showings, some new reveals, two shadow drops, boob physics, nine minutes of Kojima fart sniffing.

I'm out of touch with gaming and Playstation it seems. I was so excited for the PS5 and now I've owned it for 3 years and there are hardly any exclusive games that justifies the purchase.

(I have a PC and loads of other consoles as well)

Stellar Blade looks amazing tho and the VR games look cool. But everything I used to love about the Playstation platform is pretty much gone now.

I guess D or E is fair.

Last edited:

kyussman

Asia really bringing the heat to PS5,nice to see some game devs who actually look like nerds who spend their time making games.....compare to the bunch of sad sacks in that last Xbox showing who looked like they would be more at home on an activist rally somewhere shouting angrily into the void.
Anyway.....show was a solid C elevated to a B by the presence of Kojima,Death Stranding 2 and the announcement of his next game.

Last edited:

skyfall

Pretty much everything shown was already announced, this was more of just a ‘reminder’ show.

Also I can’t stand the quick cut edit type trailers, show uninterrupted gameplay. And what was shown, nothing too special. therefore a E from me

Last edited:
D-E

Team Ninja going Ubisoft is about the worst outcome for that studio. Seeing the corpse of Silent Hill being raped. Unhinged Kojima doesn't work, it's just stupid now - and I usually like dumb lore from Japan, but this is too much.

Last edited:

MacReady13

Did we not just get like 5min of Kojima rubbing his balls at the end?
Yeah, imagine letting a legend of a developer explain that he is in the process of making a brand new exclusive for PlayStation… I think that alone is worth letting him talk for a little bit. At least he wasn’t there for virtue signal points…

Ribi

Yeah, imagine letting a legend of a developer explain that he is in the process of making a brand new exclusive for PlayStation… I think that alone is worth letting him talk for a little bit. At least he wasn’t there for virtue signal points…
What was his excuse at the game awards then

MacReady13

What was his excuse at the game awards then
Dorito Pope loves Kojima and he was talking about an Xbox movie or something. Who knows… point is, I’m comparing the Xbox showcase to the PlayStation showcase and on the PlayStation showcase I got basically nothing but wall to wall games footage with minimal interruptions from woke devs to show us that Microsoft has diverse hiring practices.

Honestly, with everything shown so far, this year is jam packed from all the Rpgs of all types alone and I fucking love it. We have Stellar Blade, Rise of the Ronin, Avowed (I'm skeptical about this, but it's Obsidian, so I'm giving it a shot) Infinite Wealth & Dragon's Dogma 2, to name just a handful and we're just scratching the surface. Death Stranding 2 looks both mysterious and intriguing at the same time(it's a Kojima game after all) and it's absolutely gorgeous on Decima. This year will be packed everywhere, regardless of where you play and it's going to be marvellous!!! Strap on everyone, there's probably more coming this year than what we've already been shown. Showcase was a B+ for me and should serve as the minimum ballpark for Sony, when they're building up and structuring their bigger summer showcases (as this looked like a mini games showcase they should learn from).

Last edited:

Ribi

Dorito Pope loves Kojima and he was talking about an Xbox movie or something. Who knows… point is, I’m comparing the Xbox showcase to the PlayStation showcase and on the PlayStation showcase I got basically nothing but wall to wall games footage with minimal interruptions from woke devs to show us that Microsoft has diverse hiring practices.
Oh ye 100% bunch of shit in the Xbox one but DS is boring

Hudo

Someone needs to tell me when FROM planning to give us something…..ANYTHING on Elden Ring DLC…
DLC is going to be expanded to Elden Ring 2: Ring Harder

...which actually turns into an Armored Core game midway through: The Arisen finds a AC, overgrown with moss in one of the dungeons. Marika is actually a rogue AI, intentionally put into stasis.

Last edited:

Aenima

This was probably my favorite State of Play so far so i give it an A-. Alot of games there i want to play and better only if there was an anouncement for one of the big Playstation Studios.

I always wondered why sony just hasnt aquired the damn rights to metal gear. then they can let kojima or other devs run wild with it

engstra

Gave it a C. I think they really showed off that first half of the year is stacked with big releases. However not a lot of games that I'm super interested in.

Stellar Blade looks interesting but I was more sold based on the first trailer, tone of the game is definitely not what I was expecting with npcs and all the other goofy stuff shown. Ronin looks janky although Team Ninja gameplay/combat is usually good. DS2 looks bonkers but that trailer was way too long. Silent Hill looks really disappointing. I've never played 2, and would love to but kind of getting the feeling that best way of playing it will be by buying a PS2 copy. Kojima's new game could be cool but not a fan of these 'announcements' where they state that they're working on a game that we won't see for at least 5 years. This one was especially bad, an announcement that they will start working on the game in 2025.

Too many fanboys, RotR, DS2 (saved the presentation) and a peak into espionage project were the only interesting and Sony exclusive parts imo.

Last edited:
it was really good, but I had hoped to see a new 2024 game that I could be excited about (next to Dragon’s Dogma 2), but no.

DS2 and Judas were looking incredible, though.

Mr.Phoenix

We'll simply see new stuff from everyone else except Sony. I think the online multiplayer push really messed them up. Sony really needs to either beef up their studios or make smaller games.
If you understood the slides... then you will know it didn't. They acquired new studios or made new partnerships to do the online stuff. Not that they shut down existing single-player projects to do the online stuff. We are still yet to hear from a number of their studios this generation. And we are getting to that time when we should.

This whole online push thing is costing Sony is a false narrative, especially when you consider what they have released thus far.

King Dazzar

Mixed for me, but I enjoyed watching it nonetheless. I thought the presentation was a B+. But games wise its a C. Stellar Blade won me over though and looks great even it isnt usually my sort of thing.

Is this the first where a game was announced before even going to production ? He said production of physint will start after ds2. So what 2030? PS6?

JohnnyFootball

GerAlt-Right. Ciriously.
I will mention that Ronin and Stellar Blade are starting to spark my interest. I typically don't care much for Japanese style games (Bayonetta is an example of that and I HATE it) From Software games being a major exception.

I will still wait for reviews and maybe even a FightinCowboy Let's Play, but they're now on my radar.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
I'd just add that I gave it an A, because it was an A-quality SOP, not a full year blowout.

What was most impressive to me was that so many of the titles shown are out so soon, to the extent that arguably the biggest upcoming PS5 release (FF7r-2) needed to be broken out into its own showcase. These short presentations aren't intended to be that defining or really memorable long-term, which was why the Kojima stuff at the end was kind surprising to me.

Although rather obviously a big part of it was to deliver a proper thumb-in-the-eye to MS' relationship with Kojima productions. I mean it left Overdose seeming like a side-project sandwiched between his next major release (DS2) and a self-described "career defining" masterwork commencing production after that's finished.

neoism

lol this
it was a 7 for me i dont even have a ps5 but im getting it for rebirth soo i guess i will keep it and get a few more.. games but ER dlc is the only fucking thing i will care about if announced lol should be any day now...
0f7cea978c3b85d6ef64519572d43f0459fb33474a98c24bf7a707f70270a27f_1.webp

Last edited:

Topher

Gold Member
Ok, I can kind of understand the B grades if you only own a playstation. So, I guess it's that crowd that's rating it so highly.

The curse of owning a PC strikes again I guess.

Luke warm for me, there was no real must haves for my playstations at all. I mean Stellar Blade could be a must have if they nail it, which I hope they do but i havr no knowledge if the studio deserves to have faith put in it. The rest were all PC/multi plat games or just looked poor imo.

It's just different tastes I guess. Like giving this an A Is wild to me.

Just having kojima say he is working on an interactive film....we've seen this for years. No footage...no title card even...Just playing the audience like a fiddle and it clearly works every time.

Not seeing an A or B at all, but I guess if you only own a playstation you could see it as a B, but even then I think it's a push.

Eh.....I own a PC and I gave it a B. Just different opinions. Owning a PC doesn't give you (or me) any wisdom or insight than folks who don't own PC.

MiguelItUp

A

Just for Death Stranding 2, alone.
This is exactly what I wanted to do and why, but then I looked at everything as a whole and felt that D was more fitting. Maybe I was too harsh and a C would've sufficed, but it felt right at the time.

I was still probably upset about the Silent Hill 2 Remake footage too. "pie_tears_joy:

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
Ok, I can kind of understand the B grades if you only own a playstation. So, I guess it's that crowd that's rating it so highly.

The curse of owning a PC strikes again I guess.

Luke warm for me, there was no real must haves for my playstations at all. I mean Stellar Blade could be a must have if they nail it, which I hope they do but i havr no knowledge if the studio deserves to have faith put in it. The rest were all PC/multi plat games or just looked poor imo.

It's just different tastes I guess. Like giving this an A Is wild to me.

Just having kojima say he is working on an interactive film....we've seen this for years. No footage...no title card even...Just playing the audience like a fiddle and it clearly works every time.

Not seeing an A or B at all, but I guess if you only own a playstation you could see it as a B, but even then I think it's a push.
PC owner here and the only thing I enjoyed from the show was DS2

It was so head scratching how much coke has he done fucked up that I thought it saved the show and I can't wait to play it

Literally so far for the rest of this year I personally have nothing on the PS only horizon I am looking forward to yet I gave it a B just from DS2

Stella Blade looked decent and DS2 is certainly visually very impressive but everything else was underwhelming especially SH2 (Bloober 🙄).

HeisenbergFX4

Gold Member
I'd also wonder who on their right mind would give this an A, we gotta respect opinions I guess.
For me in a show like that to get an A does not have to be banger after banger

In that kind of show give me even 2 or 3 games I really want to play and it can get a high score because I know all our tastes are varied so the games will be as well.

Rambling here I guess

Blindy

B-/C+ range but went with latter due to the terrible time it started at. I liked the pace of the conference until the Kojima stuff and even that Hideo stuff is batshit crazy just as a viewer. Stellar Blade was super good and easily the highlight of the show for me. Sonic/Shadow Generation also looks super cool. Not everything worked for me and not everything caught my eye, the "In Development for PS5" was frustrating to see a bunch but I get it.

ByWatterson

No that falls in the blah category. The first game was so boring, put over 12 hours into it on PC and it never got better.

I feel genuinely sorry for people who had this reaction.

For me, Death Stranding is such a stunning experience by every metric - gameplay, graphics, SOUNDTRACK, story, characters, originality - everything. I'm not even a Kojima fangirl, hated MGS5, never really played MGS4....but still. Death Stranding is a genuine masterpiece.

Men_in_Boxes

Snake Oil Salesman
C.

Concord never showed up.

Helldivers 2 got another sh*t trailer but that game will be alright.

Concord was a no show.

No gameplay from the Death Stranding 2 trailer.

Judas looks interesting but again, we didn't get to see the gameplay hook.

Firewalk never delivered with their Concord reveal.

Everything else is for weebs and horror fans of which I am neither.

Last edited:
Top Bottom