• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

All releases these days feel like they're Early Access

Saiyan-Rox

I mean seriously it's getting so bad. Games are just not coming out finished either they're missing features or they're buggy as all hell.

Tales of symphonia and Pokémon scarlet/violet are two main ones that pop into mind for clearly being shoved out when they weren't ready and the companies either going "fuck it, we'll fix it later" or "fuck em they'll buy it anyway, we'll just ignore it"

If I want to buy a game in EA then I will. If a game releases it fucking better be ready for consumers to play. I don't want to buy a game and not play it because "fixes" or features are coming a month later that'll make the experience better.

Also because of this physical games are becoming so pointless to buy because the code attached to the physical product is so fucking shit that if those patches ever stop being distributed then you're stuck with some really really bad code.

Will patches be switched off when it matters? Probably not. But for those who collect this shit and love going back to old consoles one day those patch servers are going to be shutdown and then? you're fucked. (PC not applicable if you've got the files of course)

Prices are going up for gaming. You want me to spend £70 on a brand new game because development costs have went up? Then make it worthwhile to FUCKING BUY IT.

Anyway thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Oh and EA = Early Access. Although if you want to see it as EA then an argument can be made the above fits that company.

Last edited:

Punished Miku

Gold Member
If you can master self-control, it actually is just more motivation to wait on anything that isn't finished. You can get it cheaper, with patches, and whatever else comes along. The only people that lose will be the publishers who are making a very good case for never buying things day 1. All you have to do is just not buy it.

Saiyan-Rox

If you can master self-control, it actually is just more motivation to wait on anything that isn't finished. You can get it cheaper, with patches, and whatever else comes along. The only people that lose will be the publishers who are making a very good case for never buying things day 1. All you have to do is just not buy it.

I've actually been doing this on ps5 games. Haven't bought a single game on launch for £70 and tbh never will.

Doesn't stop then coming out broken

RevGaming

I mean seriously it's getting so bad. Games are just not coming out finished either they're missing features or they're buggy as all hell.

Tales of symphonia and Pokémon scarlet/violet are two main ones that pop into mind for clearly being shoved out when they weren't ready and the companies either going "fuck it, we'll fix it later" or "fuck em they'll buy it anyway, we'll just ignore it"

If I want to buy a game in EA then I will. If a game releases it fucking better be ready for consumers to play. I don't want to buy a game and not play it because "fixes" or features are coming a month later that'll make the experience better.

Also because of this physical games are becoming so pointless to buy because the code attached to the physical product is so fucking shit that if those patches ever stop being distributed then you're stuck with some really really bad code.

Will patches be switched off when it matters? Probably not. But for those who collect this shit and love going back to old consoles one day those patch servers are going to be shutdown and then? you're fucked. (PC not applicable if you've got the files of course)

Prices are going up for gaming. You want me to spend £70 on a brand new game because development costs have went up? Then make it worthwhile to FUCKING BUY IT.

Anyway thanks for coming to my ted talk.

Oh and EA = Early Access. Although if you want to see it as EA then an argument can be made the above fits that company.
I was going to say, wild hearts and dead space released great and star wars will be good.

EA is actually doing good this year. AMAZED BY THAT

Catphish

Yeah, it's pretty ridiculous.

I was pretty surprised at how solid HwL was at release. Aside from the busted ass RTX, the game shipped in really good shape.

But every other new release I bought in the past year has been hot fucking garbage. F1 22, FIFA, and CoD, were all fucking shitshows at launch.

As a result, I'll never pre-order another game. All Early Access means is that you pay them to beta test the fucking thing.

Never again.

AV

We ain't outta here in ten minutes, we won't need no rocket to fly through space
While "All Releases" is an exaggeration, I believe is not a handful either. This trend is increasing greatly this generation.

I beat 13 games last year and played some of another 13, all at/around launch, and I think the only one with any remotely serious software issues was Elden Ring. Everything else worked right out of the gate as does 99% of everything I've ever played.

It's very easy to take a handful of bad examples and call the entire industry shoddy, but it's simply not true.

SafeOrAlone

Banned
True. I've finally been beaten into submission, thankfully, and have stopped buying games at launch. I think the drought of next-gen games over the last couple years helped acclimate me. That and the $70 price tag. Oh, and all the great backwards compatibility on Xbox has also helped.

It's annoying, but I don't play that "game" anymore. I'll take the finished product at a discount, please.

Akuji

More and more games getting Released. The amount of great games is insane. If you want to ignore the great ones and focus on the Bad. Treat yourself.

StereoVsn

I was going to say, wild hearts and dead space released great and star wars will be good.

EA is actually doing good this year. AMAZED BY THAT
Both have some serious issues on PC side.

I agree with OP, it's easier to count PC releases that don't have issues vs otherwise. Most large AAA games have been problematic on PC in recent times (say starting with Cyberpunk).

fart town usa

Gold Member
Ignore marketing hype. I always say it but it's best to just tune out and ignore release date calendars.

Browsing Gaf will make you aware of what's being released and once it does, it'll kind of be a surprise. If the game is an unfinished mess, you'll see threads on it.

I say focus on playing games you enjoy and then grab new games if they release in a finished state and appeal to you.

Buying in on hype is the worst thing you can do, it usually leads to disappointment. Tuning out makes it feel like you're never waiting, when that banger releases and you snatch it up, it's a total pleasant surprise and you can be there day 1 with the rest of the community. You aren't missing out on anything.

phant0m

Hogwarts does not feel early access at all, other than PC and next-gen get it first. 30+ hrs in, I've only had 1 crash and ti seems pretty content complete.

NFS Unbound was a great revitailzation for the franchise, few issues and content complete.

Atomic Heart? Cringe-worthy writing aside, I've only had a few euro-jank type bugs/issues and it seems like a complete experience.

Hifi-Rush? Mega fun shadow drop, absolutely no bugs and a complete experience.

Of course there are swings and misses. Pokemon, to your point. W40k Darktide feels early access as fuck, trash performance and the content it does have gets stale after 10 hours.

"All releases"..... bruh.

Last edited:
Top Bottom