• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AlphaDream (Mario & Luigi RPGs) declares bankruptcy

Bullet Club

Banned
Via Reddit.

AlphaDream, who worked primarily on the Mario & Luigi RPGs just announced bankruptcy.

There doesn't seem to be an English source yet, but here's an article from Yahoo Japan. I'll try to update with more info as soon as there's an English source.

https://headlines.yahoo.co.jp/hl?a=20191002-00010002-teikokudb-ind

Google Translate:

Alpha Dream Co., Ltd. (TDB Company Code: 984272595, capital 90 million yen, Shibuya-ku, Tokyo 2-19-19, representative Yoshihiko Maekawa) received a decision from the Tokyo District Court to commhold bankruptcy proceedings on October 1.

The bankruptcy trustee is Kuma Hayato, 2-3-2 Marunouchi, Chiyoda-ku, Tokyo, Andy Bear Hayato Law Office, tel. 03-5224-6627. The Company was established in May 1991 with the trade name of Maintenance Tomo and Ai Co., Ltd. for the purpose of interior and exterior construction. Then, in January 2000, the company changed its name to Alpha Star Software , and in July of the same year, the company changed its business model to the planning and development of game software, and was entrusted with the planning and development of game software, mainly mobile game consoles, from major game console manufacturers. As a result of game software development, we have been developing such as mario luigi RPG series and "Totoko Hamtaro" character game "4" and later, [Mario Luigi RPG3 DX], [Totoko Hamtaro] Ham Ham Challenge! It's a hot one! There is a masterpiece, such as].

Although the development was partly outsourced, the company's employees consistently entrusted the series with its development capabilities as a strength, and in the fiscal year ended March 2014, the company posted an annual revenue of approximately 300 million yen. In recent years, however, while income swelled, the burden of development costs was heavy, forcing the financial statements to continue to be overdue.

After that, business performance did not recover, and it became difficult to continue the business, and this was the measure. As of the end of 2018, the liabilities were approximately ¥100 million.

Bakkus

M&L games have been a waste of time ever since Bowser. If this means Nintendo can get Paper Mario back to it's roots, then this is a good thing. Hopefully all the employees will find new jobs soon.

-Arcadia-

Banned
What the hell? The M&L games were doing ridiculously great for them.

Curious to know what happened here.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Development costs are cited here, but they made ridiculously simple games in terms of tech, then turned around and sold millions upon millions of units. Granted, those funds would go to Nintendo, but I presume they were well compensated.

Cocaine and strippers in the office every day?

Andyliini

Oh, that's a shame. I loved Mario & Luigi games, altough lately they only did remasters of their previous games. Hopefully Mario-related RPG's will return in some other form sooner rather than later, the series have usually been enjoyable to play (but please no Paper Mario RPG, didn't like it's gameplay at all).

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
No surprise there .
They had one great mario&luigi game.
The OG on the gba.

All other games after that where worse.
I hope the people that lost their jobs find something new :)

Last edited:

Teslerum

Development costs are cited here, but they made ridiculously simple games in terms of tech, then turned around and sold millions upon millions of units. Granted, those funds would go to Nintendo, but I presume they were well compensated.

Cocaine and strippers in the office every day?

Why? No they probably weren't.

For third party developers the *well compensated* part means work/contracts to pay the bills. If you don't have work, you're a dead man walking. Otherwise any additional money you get might keep the lights on for a bit, but the burn rate is way too high to do so over a longer period of time.

Last edited:

Holammer

As a developer they kinda deserved it, banking everything on licensed brands and exclusively on one system.
That's great as long as it works, but if Nintendo hiccups, they fall.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
As a developer they kinda deserved it, banking everything on licensed brands and exclusively on one system.
That's great as long as it works, but if Nintendo hiccups, they fall.
So, HAL, Intelligent Systems and Next Level Games also deserve the same?

Very sad to hear that, I love Mario & Luigi. I hope the devs land on their feet quickly.

Reactions: TLZ

-Arcadia-

Banned
Why? No they probably weren't.

For third party developers the *well compensated* part means work/contracts to pay the bills. If you don't have work, you're a dead man walking. Otherwise any additional money you get might keep the lights on for a bit, but the burn rate is way too high to do so over a longer period of time.

Yes, well compensated as in the additional money, and Nintendo continuing to pay the bills, up until (I believe, time flies) that Mario and Luigi remake recently. Obviously the studio needs to continue to be funded, but given that was happening until relatively recently, on top of a string of smash hit successes, that’s a little surprising.

Alexios

Cores, shaders and BIOS oh my!
Last news was they were hiring staff for multiplatform HD development. And they also had a lackluster mobile game done for somebody else. Should have stuck with what they did best but maybe that wasn't possible. At least Nintendo enabled them to stay afloat up to this point.

Teslerum

Yes, well compensated as in the additional money, and Nintendo continuing to pay the bills, up until (I believe, time flies) that Mario and Luigi remake recently. Obviously the studio needs to continue to be funded, but given that was happening until relatively recently, on top of a string of smash hit successes, that’s a little surprising.

That released in 2017.

2 years to pay for licenses (especially), production and other costs is a ton of money.

It sounds like they didn't have efficient cash flow.

If they had kept contracted work yearly then they must know how to keep costs down if a game flops.

Sad to hear but it sounds like they assumed that the games would keep selling at a steady pace because Mario makes money for the most part.

Heimdall_Xtreme

Jim Ryan Fanclub's #1 Member
I never play them.

I have to download for "Free" in my magic Nintendo 3ds Xl to play them =P.

They should launch Super Mario RPG 2 with new stuff and not square things for the copyright problems.

-Arcadia-

Banned
Curious to hear the inside story.

Gsw1bv7.jpg

No surprise there .
They had one great mario&luigi game.
The OG on the gba.

All other games after that where worse.
I hope the people that lost their jobs find something new :)
Peak for me was Partners In Time.. The fact that PiT takes place in the mushroom kingdom and explores the "timeline" was a big nostalgia trip, whereas SS was in that stupid Beanville world. Combat in PiT is the most complex in the series before every special attack became its own minigame. Bowser's Inside Story was better than SS too, but Dream Team and Paper Jam weren't the best.

I'd rank PiT > BIS > SS > PJ >>>> DT

Last edited:

ZeroGravity

Nintendo really did them dirty, sadly. Sent their games to die at the end of the 3DS lifecycle, and meddling much like they did with the Paper Mario games to remove any uniqueness or creativity in favor of sticking strictly to established Mario canon elements.

Spukc

always chasing the next thrill
Peak for me was Partners In Time.. The fact that PiT takes place in the mushroom kingdom and explores the "timeline" was a big nostalgia trip, whereas SS was in that stupid Beanville world. Combat in PiT is the most complex in the series before every special attack became its own minigame. Bowser's Inside Story was better than SS too, but Dream Team and Paper Jam weren't the best.

Wrong

M&L games have been a waste of time ever since Bowser. If this means Nintendo can get Paper Mario back to it's roots, then this is a good thing. Hopefully all the employees will find new jobs soon.

Man, fuck Paper Mario. We need SquarEnix and Nintendo to get Super Mario RPG 2 off the ground and into our lives. It's long overdue.

Bakkus

Partners in Time is the most repetitive game in the franchise. Every puzzle is a variant of: 'throw the babies to places M&L can't reach and make them open up the locked path forward'. Thankfully, BIS was better.

Man, fuck Paper Mario. We need SquarEnix and Nintendo to get Super Mario RPG 2 off the ground and into our lives. It's long overdue.
The M&L games are for all intents and purposes the sequels. Most of the same employees moved from that game to Alphadream

MagnesG

Banned
Nintendo really did them dirty, sadly. Sent their games to die at the end of the 3DS lifecycle, and meddling much like they did with the Paper Mario games to remove any uniqueness or creativity in favor of sticking strictly to established Mario canon elements.
Whoa, is this from the interviews?

Last edited:
Partners in Time is the most repetitive game in the franchise. Every puzzle is a variant of: 'throw the babies to places M&L can't reach and make them open up the locked path forward'. Thankfully, BIS was better.
So? I didn't play any of the Mario RPGs for their puzzles. I played for their nostalgic references and the fun combat.

TUROK

Enlighten me, master. Do top-down sprite-based games somehow rival full 3D, controllable camera games in development costs, or are they a great deal cheaper?
Well, didn't take you very long to move the goalposts.

But hey, I'll engage you anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if they're generally less expensive, but that doesn't mean much if you don't take the budget, team size, game scope, managerial effectiveness, development time, or any of the countless other variables at play.

Making 2D games is NOT inherently easy.

If development costs for those games was really that high then flat out they DESERVED to go out of business.
Your expert testimony has been taken under consideration.

Last edited:

ZeroGravity

Whoa, is this from the interviews?
No, this is entirely speculation, but you look at what happened with the Paper Mario series, and how they directed them to only used established Mario characters, you can see the exact same shift in direction with the M&L series too. Paper Jam was entirely devoid of the personality that made the first few games special. They even changed a lot of the sprites in the Superstar Saga remake to match more current Mario designs instead of sticking to the more unique ones the original game had.

Last edited:

MagnesG

Banned
I really hope they would bounce back, and fix the financial problems. It's really weird they would come to this unless they already have some issues at their strategy core process.

Last edited:

Enjay

Banned
Well, didn't take you very long to move the goalposts.

But hey, I'll engage you anyway. Wouldn't be surprised if they're generally less expensive, but that doesn't mean much if you don't take the budget, team size, game scope, managerial effectiveness, development time, or any of the countless other variables at play.

Making 2D games is NOT inherently easy.

Your expert testimony has been taken under consideration.
You sound just as experienced as I do on the subject.

I remember reading some interviews talking about how they were masters of working on sprites, but even on 3DS they barely even had employees who could do any 3D modeling work at all.

They always seemed like a really unique studio that was just kind of barely hanging on to the things they were really good at.

Top Bottom